NCAA Transfer Portal - The process | Page 16 | The Boneyard

NCAA Transfer Portal - The process

Reaction Score
008.png

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Okay point made. But he left the door open for grads that have some sort of connection to the staff...

He has an interesting point which is that you can't do the full evaluation on these portal kids that you can do courting HS and JUCO kids.

I view this as all part of his renewed emphasis on finding players that will respond well to his style of coaching and practice.

Reaction Score
I don't think he is necessarily "swearing off" the portal. He's just saying that its better to build with high schoolers or JC transfers and that it's easy to make mistakes with guys in the portal. Some schools, due to their geography, have more insight into the local guys looking to move home (and some don't care). As to some of the high profile transfers (Burrows, Hurd, etc..) a lot is known about them when they enter, so the risk is low, but they aren't real options for us - yet.

Reaction Score
Wasn't he committed to another school last year? Maybe Edsall doesn't deserve all that criticism about issues.......

Held UConn offer, committed to Wake Forest, decommitted, committed to Rutgers, transferred to URI

Reaction Score
Issues... :p

>>Anoma entered the NCAA transfer portal on July 28, two days after news broke that the sophomore was not attending classes at the University of Alabama. Crimson Tide head coach Nick Saban later clarified in early August that Anoma had been "dismissed from school."<<

Reaction Score
I don't think he is necessarily "swearing off" the portal. He's just saying that its better to build with high schoolers or JC transfers and that it's easy to make mistakes with guys in the portal. Some schools, due to their geography, have more insight into the local guys looking to move home (and some don't care). As to some of the high profile transfers (Burrows, Hurd, etc..) a lot is known about them when they enter, so the risk is low, but they aren't real options for us - yet.
Edsall also used the word "sometimes" kids in the portal have issues but it was construed as all.

Reaction Score
Edsall also used the word "sometimes" kids in the portal have issues but it was construed as all.
That's because we're not winning games. People egg on the negative. You push negative narrative enough crap like this happens, especially if you're pro firing him now. Only problem is you can hurt the entire program more (delay potential success more) in the process. Continued negative rhetoric turns folks (recruits, duh...not directed to you, but to those who don't get it) off.
Here's hoping for a circle the wagons moment like years past occurs for the 2020 team. Bodies well for our future if the case.

Reaction Score
Issues :p

>>Harris entered the transfer portal on Dec. 4, 2019, after appearing in 11 games for Auburn as a reserve. He had three tackles, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery. He’s a former four-star recruit out of Tucker, Georgia, who was stuck in the depth chart behind a standout cast.<<

Reaction Score
Issues :p

>>Harris entered the transfer portal on Dec. 4, 2019, after appearing in 11 games for Auburn as a reserve. He had three tackles, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery. He’s a former four-star recruit out of Tucker, Georgia, who was stuck in the depth chart behind a standout cast.<<
Boy that proves the point. The quote from HCRE2.0 was: "Guys going into the portal, to me, they've got issues."
Would think proving the point would be looking at the 25 transfer guys that HCRE2.0 actually knows personally (kids transferring from UConn) and describing what issues they have. Maybe the prevalent issue HCRE2.0 doesn't like is players who think their current coach isn't very good at his job.

Reaction Score
and the beat goes on .............

that combined with the influx of offers those same guys are getting now that they entered the portal and/or production we have seen from those who left previously.

Reaction Score
Boy that proves the point. The quote from HCRE2.0 was: "Guys going into the portal, to me, they've got issues."
Would think proving the point would be looking at the 25 transfer guys that HCRE2.0 actually knows personally (kids transferring from UConn) and describing what issues they have. Maybe the prevalent issue HCRE2.0 doesn't like is players who think their current coach isn't very good at his job.
Feel better that you worked your disdain into another thread?

Reaction Score
Feel better that you worked your disdain into another thread?
Misquoted too. Neverminding he was refering to potential incomers with issues like getting them into grad school.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This player's attitude and psyche is what makes for great defensive players in the SEC...........he just couldn't wait his turn to achieve that greatness.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That makes sense, Edsall trashing guys that are transferring - totally his style. About those issues though, only one of twenty has actually found an FBS home. Do you think that, just maybe, the issue is talent and the portal players want to see the field from somewhere other than the bench?

Reaction Score
That makes sense, Edsall trashing guys that are transferring - totally his style. About those issues though, only one of twenty has actually found an FBS home. Do you think that, just maybe, the issue is talent and the portal players want to see the field from somewhere other than the bench?

dont try to add logic to his incessant rant

Reaction Score
Please!! as I read the statement Edsel was referring to INCOMING transfers. He made no mention of outgoing as he wouldn't be recruiting Uconn students entering the portal. Enough beating a dead horse.

Reaction Score
It’s a crapshoot anyways. Just because someone was highly recruited to say Miami? Doesn’t mean they will be impactful here. Most top players have no interest going to UConn and also high grad school admission standards. Think Driscoll and UMass. Recruiting efforts may be better used elsewhere in regards to UCONN.
Please!! as I read the statement Edsel was referring to INCOMING transfers. He made no mention of outgoing as he wouldn't be recruiting Uconn students entering the portal. Enough beating a dead horse.

Reaction Score
Liberty rise into FBS was pre-ordained; probably in the Evangelical school's business plan in the 1980s. Inexorable need to be a BYU or Notre Dame.

My interest continues to be the James Madison type that can win FCS regular. Make decent money - there is some TV and great ticket revenue from crowds and occasional good checks from playing FBS - whom they scare. Is there one variable that may get them to feel they need to move?

Liberty is - quite frankly - in our realm. We should work to play Buffalo, Navy, Temple, Rutgers … and more intently BC, Cuse, Pitt. But Liberty & UMASS & ARMY is the yearly targets that will continue. Then others in our region.

Reaction Score
Would this be a transfer portal situation that Edsall would think differently about? A 2020 early commit to USF (Sione Tuitupou) only to find out that the HC (Charlie Strong) he committed to gets canned a few days later.

With the yearly schedules we're putting together, we gotta look attractive to some talented kids. This particular kid was 22nd ranked DT in 2020 class..

just sayin...

Reaction Score
Oh I see, so the hundreds of kids in the transfer portal not from UConn have "issues" (and HCRE2.0 know this how?) yet the transfer kids he does know (his own UConn kids) have no issues. I got it. Makes sense to me, make a generalization about a group but you don't mean your own kids that are in that group.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom