NCAA tournament expanding to 128? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NCAA tournament expanding to 128?

Reaction Score
I did not think . 64 X 2 = 128. It is just one more round! I think it only works , as many
have suggested, that the " first" round is in the form of a " play in round " where both
teams in the initial round are fighting to " get into" the regular 64 team brackets. I
still would mourn the loss of the WNIT. Maybe teams losing in the FIRST "play in round" could
authomaticly became the WNIT field??. Sure, it sounds like a "loser's bracket" but that
is something like the current FIBA format = losing in your initial POOL does not eliminate a
team from moving on ( note, the FIBA format for tie breakers is pretty complex , as is
their ranking of teams prior to FIBA tournaments). I believe the FIBA Women's
soccer has a formula for "seeding' has a formula of looking back at the last 8 YEARS
of games to decide the seedings of the pools. That is complex! = it includes consideration of the quality of
the past opponents, the strength of the " region" ( Africa / Asia / Europe / "Americas"
etc. The strength of it is that the FIBA world agrees to it and .. the cream rises to
the top when all is said and done.

Reaction Score
It is just you. I was at the arena in Bridgeport with approximately 11,000 mostly UConn fans who thoroughly enjoyed the game. Beyond the one-sided nature of a Sweet-16 game against a pretty good SEC team under Vic Schaefer, that had won its first 2 tournament games, the 60 pt victory by UConn was a celebration of one of the best
It is just you. I was at the arena in Bridgeport with approximately 11,000 mostly UConn fans who thoroughly enjoyed the game. Beyond the one-sided nature of a Sweet-16 game against a pretty good SEC team under Vic Schaefer, that had won its first 2 tournament games, the 60 pt victory by UConn was a celebration of one of the best Husky teams ever.
i understand that the Roman Coliseum was a packed venue also.
Number of spectators does not equate to quality of competition or sportsmanship.
88-39 games are unwatchable and a poor display of sportsman (woman’s ship)
Winning coach should be more gracious.
I believe a couple of years ago there was a documented girls HS Basketball game where the final score was something like 101-4.
Parents on both sides were calling for the coaches head.
He was suspended.
It’s why softball stops rollovers and boxing has a TKO.
And BTW-Paige went down in a rollover against ND.
So be careful what you wish for.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
i understand that the Roman Coliseum was a packed venue also.
Number of spectators does not equate to quality of competition or sportsmanship.
88-39 games are unwatchable and a poor display of sportsman (woman’s ship)
Winning coach should be more gracious.
I believe a couple of years ago there was a documented girls HS Basketball game where the final score was something like 101-4.
Parents on both sides were calling for the coaches head.
He was suspended.
It’s why softball stops rollovers and boxing has a TKO.
And BTW-Paige went down in a rollover against ND.
So be careful what you wish for.
None of your arguments have anything to do with the 2016 Sweet 16 UConn - MS St game. UConn was up 61-12 at halftime. In the 2nd half Geno called off the “dogs” as UConn only outscored MS St by 37-26, with the Bulldogs actually outscoring the Huskies in the 4th qtr.

None of UConn’s starters played more than 28 minutes. All 12 UConn players got PT. Vic Schaefer was extremely complementary of Geno & UConn after the game. Vic actually spoke with Geno in the off-season about steps he could take to improve his MS St program, which he did getting them to the national championship game the following year after an OT upset in the semifinals over an undefeated Husky team.

UConn went 38-0 in 2015-16, beating every team they played by double figures. The Huskies lead the nation in scoring offense and defense. UConn seldom pressured opponents in the second half and the starters were seldom on the court during the 4th qtr. Not sure what else you would suggest that the Huskies do to “display sportsmanship.”

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The article's focus is on MCBB, but any expansion would likely apply to the women's tournament as well:

Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark told ESPN on Wednesday that the conversation about possible expansion has to include the men's and women's tournaments.​
"... I'm open to it -- for both men's and women's [basketball], not just men's. It has to go both ways. You're talking about [College Football Playoff] expansion. Why not expansion in March for the basketball tournaments?"​
The SEC commissioner mentioned Missouri WBB as a team that "didn't have access" to the NCAA tournament last season despite defeating South Carolina. You really have to love the term "access," particularly for a team from the SEC. As if an SEC team never has access to the NCAAT. They had access for sure; they didn't deserve to be included. Mizzou lost 13 games, including 7 of its last 9, and proceeded to end its season by losing to Drake in the first round of the NIT. Sure, the NCAAT really missed not having Missouri.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The SEC commissioner mentioned Missouri WBB as a team that "didn't have access" to the NCAA tournament last season despite defeating South Carolina. You really have to love the term "access," particularly for a team from the SEC. As if an SEC team never has access to the NCAAT. They had access for sure; they didn't deserve to be included. Mizzou lost 13 games, including 7 of its last 9, and proceeded to end its season by losing to Drake in the first round of the NIT. Sure, the NCAAT really missed not having Missouri.

Lol yes, fans of women's basketball far and wide were bereft and distraught, wondering why so few SEC teams made the tournament last year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Lol yes, fans of women's basketball far and wide were bereft and distraught, wondering why so few SEC teams made the tournament last year.
We can only hope the entire conference gets to participate in the wbb Tourney just like they do in softball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom