NCAA sets a Nov 25 start date | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NCAA sets a Nov 25 start date

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Don't be so sure. If you want to know why, hit me in the inbox. There is something looming that could be more dangerous than the virus that could not only delay the start of the season, but cancel it.:confused:
This sounds like a wacky conspiracy theory to me, especially since you aren't willing to say it publicly (whatever it is). Black helicopters? Pedophile rings?

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if UConn dropped out of the Mohegan Sun MTE, the 3 other teams scheduled to be there are Maine, Quinnipiac, and Miss St. Coach Auriemma likes to test his team in out of conference games and none of those schools are really a test. UConn has marquis games scheduled with Maryland, Baylor, South Carolina, Notre Dame, and Tennessee, I think they will play their Big East schedule and these 5 out of conference games.

I agree with all but part of the last sentence. Tenn as a tougher game than Miss St? They may have a lot of talent still but hardly the recent history to be considered in the same breath with the other teams. And all those other teams would have to be willing to play in a bubble setup and I doubt most will. MD & BU never play tough back to back games against non-conference teams. But then it's a wacko season so I guess anything can happen.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I agree with all but part of the last sentence. Tenn as a tougher game than Miss St? They may have a lot of talent still but hardly the recent history to be considered in the same breath with the other teams. And all those other teams would have to be willing to play in a bubble setup and I doubt most will. MD & BU never play tough back to back games against non-conference teams. But then it's a wacko season so I guess anything can happen.
Baylor played Indiana and South Carolina on successive days at the Paradise Jam last year. I'm not seeing a consecutive pairing of UConn's opponents from last season that were anywhere near as challenging.

Reaction Score
Probably no fans at games played in Connecticut.
Hoops, I hope you are wrong. I think they might be able to socially distance about five thousand at Mohegan Sun, not nearly as many at Storrs. The other question would be who? Season ticket holders, students, first come first served? I think that rather than make these choices for a limited amount they will probably play to empty areas. Hey, at least we will have front row seats via the telly.

Reaction Score
No. Under NCAA rules, once they return to campus they are allowed up to eight hours a week of formal conditioning and skills instruction. No practices with the full team playing normal basketball activities however. Coaches are always present during the skills instruction.
Great info Stamfordhusky.

Reaction Score
Baylor played Indiana and South Carolina on successive days at the Paradise Jam last year. I'm not seeing a consecutive pairing of UConn's opponents from last season that were anywhere near as challenging.

This isn't intended to be a spitting contest comparing UConn to other programs. Don't even attempt to compare UConn's non-conference schedule over the last 5 years to either Maryland's or Baylor's.
And I didn't mean teams like Indiana. They ended the season ranked 20th and hadn't received even 1 vote in the last AP poll of 20218. They weren't supposed to be as good as they were when Brenda agreed to the tournament. I was thinking more of a tournament with 4-6 of the top 10 playing a round robin tournament as has been suggested. I doubt that either Brenda or Mulkey will agree to something like that. Their history has been to play patsy teams almost exclusively before Christmas. But maybe they will look at their conference and decide that wins over Northwestern or Texas are not going to secure a 1 seed, even if those are "tier 1 wins.

Reaction Score
Hoops, I hope you are wrong. I think they might be able to socially distance about five thousand at Mohegan Sun, not nearly as many at Storrs. The other question would be who? Season ticket holders, students, first come first served? I think that rather than make these choices for a limited amount they will probably play to empty areas. Hey, at least we will have front row seats via the telly.

I got a questionnaire today from UConn Athletics asking about these things so someone is formulating a plan.

Reaction Score
Connecticut congressman Jahana Hayes is sick with Covid-19, her temperature spiking, her breathing more difficult. She had quarantined before when her husband, a Waterbury police detective, came down with the disease.

This is widespread, and no one is safe. Not congressmen, not basketball players...

Reaction Score

Really? Playing Oregon and South Carolina in a span of 7 days last year was pretty tough!

Reaction Score
Really? Playing Oregon and South Carolina in a span of 7 days last year was pretty tough!
Err. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but these games didn’t happen within 7 days of eachother. Perhaps another look at the schedule is in order.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I said consecutive pairing. There was another game in between those two.

Err. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but these games didn’t happen within 7 days of eachother. Perhaps another look at the schedule is in order.
Oregon was Feb. 3; SC was Feb. 10. There was also a game vs. Memphis on Feb. 7.

Reaction Score
I said consecutive pairing. There was another game in between those two.

Oregon was Feb. 3; SC was Feb. 10. There was also a game vs. Memphis on Feb. 7.

I think the funny thing is seeing Indiana on a list with with S Car Oregon and Baylor

Reaction Score

Really?

Oregon on 2/03/20
South Caroliba on 2/10/20

Reaction Score
The next couple of weeks should be interesting. I expect to see several non-conference tournaments set up like they are planning for Mohegan Sun. The media will be heavily involved since any income will come from there. Then teams have to canvassed to see who is interested. And all of it will be overshadowed by college football. (thought I was going to say covid?)

Plebe

Reaction Score
I think the funny thing is seeing Indiana on a list with with S Car Oregon and Baylor
Not understanding what "list" you're referring to. The topic that was raised was that of consecutive games against good opponents. None of the teams in discussion played SC, Oregon, or Baylor in two games consecutively.

And before getting too carried away in disparaging Indiana, we'd do well to recall that Indiana soundly defeated South Carolina, a test that UConn fared none too well on.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not understanding what "list" you're referring to. The topic that was raised was that of consecutive games against good opponents. None of the teams in discussion played SC, Oregon, or Baylor in two games consecutively.

And before getting too carried away in disparaging Indiana, we'd do well to recall that Indiana soundly defeated South Carolina, a test that UConn fared none too well on.

Who is disparaging Indiana? They had a fine season last year but you put them in an elite class which is silly. And Indiana actually played back to back games against elite teams (S Car & Baylor) in that holiday tournament, which better fits my idea of back to back tough games.

Actually the topic was non-conference scheduling this coming season and the lack of more than one elite team in all conferences except the ACC and PAC12, and what that means for non-conference scheduling. I said that both MD and Baylor have a history of filling their non-conference sch. with patsies. You pointed out that once, in a holiday tournament where it's typical for teams play 3 games in 3 days, Baylor played two tough games back to back and one of those teams was Indiana. I question whether Indiana fits the type of team I was thinking about (S Car, Baylor, Stanford, UConn, Louisville) and the day ended up with a disagreement about how many days were in a week. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
This sounds like a wacky conspiracy theory to me, especially since you aren't willing to say it publicly (whatever it is). Black helicopters? Pedophile rings?
Joe, I think he took that route because politics are not discussed in the Boneyard. I haven't run across any of the Boneyarders who are into conspiracy theories and I'm certain Donaldoowop isn't one. Meantime lets enjoy our young ladies on court escapades and hope that a certain freshman is everything publicized.

Reaction Score
Wow, not sure about the Vols being better than the ladies from the Swamp. Miss. State has shown themselves to be a top team for the last few years. However, perhaps with the new coach Tennessee can return to prominance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom