NCAA sets a Nov 25 start date | The Boneyard

NCAA sets a Nov 25 start date

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
That leaves a lot of critical questions in my mind. Will the games scheduled to be played before 11/25 simply be truncated off the schedule (i.e., canceled)? Or will the date of all games just be moved forward by about two weeks but still played, implying that the season and all postseason tournaments will be extended by two weeks? Or will the schedule be "squeezed" so that all games will be played with less downtime between games?

I wonder if the NCAA has even discussed, much less resolved, these issues.

Reaction Score
I asked my daughter if there will be fans. She believes the fans will be limited to a players/coaches list and season fans list

Reaction Score
That leaves a lot of critical questions in my mind. Will the games scheduled to be played before 11/25 simply be truncated off the schedule (i.e., canceled)? Or will the date of all games just be moved forward by about two weeks but still played, implying that the season and all postseason tournaments will be extended by two weeks? Or will the schedule be "squeezed" so that all games will be played with less downtime between games?

I don't think there's any schedule yet, so they can set dates from scratch.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

I am guessing that there will be alot of flexibility allowed among the different conferences. Just get to the finish line anyway you can. NCAA Tournament tentative schedule in Late March early April

Reaction Score
This is the best news I've heard since a certain freshman declared for Uconn. It would be nice if some fans were allowed but, thank goodness, we will be able to follow it on SNY.

Reaction Score

Although it is not yet official, Andy Katz reports the following from the D1 Council:

Start date of college basketball season: Nov. 25;
Start of practice: Oct. 14;
Max number of games: 27 (reduced by 4);
Minimum number of games: 13;
No scrimmages/exhibitions.
Recommendation for minimum 4 non-conference games

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Great news! Now we have something to look forward to besides Thanksgiving leftovers. :)
Don't be so sure. If you want to know why, hit me in the inbox. There is something looming that could be more dangerous than the virus that could not only delay the start of the season, but cancel it.:confused:

Reaction Score
Although it is not yet official, Andy Katz reports the following from the D1 Council:

Start date of college basketball season: Nov. 25;
Start of practice: Oct. 14;
Max number of games: 27 (reduced by 4);
Minimum number of games: 13;
No scrimmages/exhibitions.
Recommendation for minimum 4 non-conference games

Help me out here - I thought the UCONN ladies were already practicing...?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
NCAA men's and women's college basketball seasons can start Nov. 25. Here is a more detailed version of today's decision by the NCAA Division I Council, written by Jeff Borzello, ESPN staff writer. Also included is a video featuring NCAA SVP Dan Gavitt, who explains how the Nov 25 date was reached.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Help me out here - I thought the UCONN ladies were already practicing...?
The only practicing they can do by rules is informal pickup games and shoot arounds. Coaches can’t be present during these workouts.

Reaction Score
No. Under NCAA rules, once they return to campus they are allowed up to eight hours a week of formal conditioning and skills instruction. No practices with the full team playing normal basketball activities however. Coaches are always present during the skills instruction.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
"Women's teams can schedule 23 games, plus one multiple-team event, or 25 games without a multiple-team event."

I don't remember whether UConn was scheduled to play a MTE this season. But, if they play the full 20-game Big East conference season, that would mean at the absolute most 7 nonconference games. With no MTE, that number drops to 5.

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
"Women's teams can schedule 23 games, plus one multiple-team event, or 25 games without a multiple-team event."

I don't remember whether UConn was scheduled to play a MTE this season. But, if they play the full 20-game Big East conference season, that would mean at the absolute most 7 nonconference games. With no MTE, that number drops to 5.
I believe that there was a MTE scheduled with the Mohegan Sun, but with the date change for the start of the season, that might be changed.

Reaction Score
I believe that there was a MTE scheduled with the Mohegan Sun, but with the date change for the start of the season, that might be changed.

I wouldn't be surprised if UConn dropped out of the Mohegan Sun MTE, the 3 other teams scheduled to be there are Maine, Quinnipiac, and Miss St. Coach Auriemma likes to test his team in out of conference games and none of those schools are really a test. UConn has marquis games scheduled with Maryland, Baylor, South Carolina, Notre Dame, and Tennessee, I think they will play their Big East schedule and these 5 out of conference games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom