NCAA rules on SC's Cooper | The Boneyard

NCAA rules on SC's Cooper

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
" Now, Cooper will have two seasons left with USC, technically with the chance to apply for a sixth year in 2020-2021. However, Staley has said she is not interested in that option."

I think Dawn pretty much knows that Cooper is going pro ASAP.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
"Cooper, who transferred to USC from Tennessee this past offseason, has been sitting out this season under NCAA transfer rules, but the Gamecocks applied for a hardship waiver on Dec. 18, arguing that because the redshirt sophomore had missed her second season at UT with a knee injury, forcing her to sit out a second season would cost her a year of eligibility."

Didn't SC know before Dec. 18 that Cooper had missed last season? If the argument is hardship due to her having missed a season (rather than SC has lost some players for the season), they should have applied as soon as she'd transferred.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
"Cooper, who transferred to USC from Tennessee this past offseason, has been sitting out this season under NCAA transfer rules, but the Gamecocks applied for a hardship waiver on Dec. 18, arguing that because the redshirt sophomore had missed her second season at UT with a knee injury, forcing her to sit out a second season would cost her a year of eligibility."

Didn't SC know before Dec. 18 that Cooper had missed last season? If the argument is hardship due to her having missed a season (rather than SC has lost some players for the season), they should have applied as soon as she'd transferred.
Maybe the Shepard decision for ND helped Dawn's decision to request a waiver even though she still waited quite a while after that NCAA ruling

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

I suspect SC never even considered applying for a waiver until ND pulled a rabbit out of the hat with their waiver request for Jessica Shepard.

Reaction Score
Cooper maybe would have been a difference maker and I said MAYBE but I always thought it would be a waste to get her eligible when the season is already halfway through. SC is doing pretty okay anyway.

Reaction Score
Dawn will have 3 possible All SEC guard on the roster next year, from four years of inside play to maybe more of a guard dominated team, could be fun to watch.

Reaction Score
I know the NCAA is regularly excoriated on this board, but I think this was the right decision. Most reports say Cooper was going to be suspended for the year if she remained at Tennessee and I don't think she should get a 'get out of jail free' card just for transferring.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Maybe the Shepard decision for ND helped Dawn's decision to request a waiver even though she still waited quite a while after that NCAA ruling

Good point.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Dawn will have 3 possible All SEC guard on the roster next year, from four years of inside play to maybe more of a guard dominated team, could be fun to watch.
Alexis Jennings is really coming into her own and LeLe Grissett has shown great improvement. I wouldn't expect Dawn to stray too far from her preferred inside first game.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Okay. A little extra surly before our game. :mad:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
When asked if the Gamecocks would appeal the decision, Staley said they would not, but added that “if I’m (Cooper’s) parents, I would probably lawyer up.”

Lawyer up? To sue the NCAA over what exactly?

Dawn has lost her mind over this.

HGN

Reaction Score
When asked if the Gamecocks would appeal the decision, Staley said they would not, but added that “if I’m (Cooper’s) parents, I would probably lawyer up.”

But one has to wonder why the NCAA granted the waiver to ND and not to USC......What could have been the differences and deciding factors in the 2 cases? I can't blame Dawn for being a little angry.

Reaction Score
Cooper could transfer to a non-D1 school and play right away. The NCAA isn't stopping her from playing, they're just saying you won't be allowed to play right away at South Carolina.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Dawn has always had a short synaptic pathway from her brain to her mouth.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I know the NCAA is regularly excoriated on this board, but I think this was the right decision. Most reports say Cooper was going to be suspended for the year if she remained at Tennessee and I don't think she should get a 'get out of jail free' card just for transferring.
Don't recall reading anything like this (a year long suspension for Cooper). A year long suspension would have been excessive by any standard for a fight. Even when the fight is on the court you are only looking at a handful of games at most. If you are going to suspend a player for a year you might as well dismiss them from the team.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Don't recall reading anything like this (a year long suspension for Cooper). A year long suspension would have been excessive by any standard for a fight. Even when the fight is on the court you are only looking at a handful of games at most. If you are going to suspend a player for a year you might as well dismiss them from the team.

Cooper was facing suspension from the university, not the team. In lieu of facing that discipline she was given the opportunity to transfer without restriction. She of course chose the latter.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Cooper was facing suspension from the university, not the team. In lieu of facing that discipline she was given the opportunity to transfer without restriction. She of course chose the latter.
That (suspension from the university) makes more sense, like Joyner Holmes. Thanks.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
But one has to wonder why the NCAA granted the waiver to ND and not to USC.What could have been the differences and deciding factors in the 2 cases? I can't blame Dawn for being a little angry.

They are completely different cases.

Shepard's request was for "personal reasons". We don't know exactly what those are. We do know that Natalie Romeo left Nebraska in the wake of Connie Yori's resignation and was cleared immediately to play for Washington, so perhaps it had to do with the coaching situation even though Shepard stuck around a year with the new coach. We also know that Shepard left Nebraska in good standing and Nebraska cooperated with the waiver request.

Cooper's "hardship" was having to sit out a second straight year after missing last year with an injury. Well...don't transfer, then. I can't imagine that the NCAA wants to set a precedent that anyone who sits out a year with injury gets to transfer and have the residency period waived. In theory, she chose to transfer. But we know why she transferred. Per local media, Tennessee was not going to renew her scholarship due to her role in a dorm-room fight with Jaime Nared. What's the hardship? That her old school didn't want her there any more?

If she hadn't got in disciplinary hot water, she could be playing for the Lady Vols right now. The supposed "hardship" is totally of her own making.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

This from a Knoxville sports radio outlet:
upload_2018-1-26_9-44-6.png

Jimmy's Blog: Cooper transfers after fight with teammate

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323