NCAA released its report on Louisville | Page 6 | The Boneyard

NCAA released its report on Louisville

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
University of Louisville transitioned from being the oldest municipally-owned university in the US to being its home state's second public research university. Along with Yankee snobbery, that somewhat justifies claims that it is a glorified community college. There's scant opportunity that the student body quality will ever approach that of UConn, but it's pretty incomplete story that probably reveals the continued butt hurt that they got the last P5 slot and we didn't.

UofL's endowment & research dollars continue to exceed those of UConn. Admission, retention and graduation metrics have improved, though not as dramatically as with UConn. More students, however, remain in the area to contribute to the regional economy. By merging the City of Louisville & Jefferson County, the center city is not left with neglect and burdens that cities like Hartford, New Haven, and Bridgeport cannot sustain. If you're a Blue state person like I am, then there are dimensions of Kentucky that are pretty objectionable, but if you're voting Red, then Louisville is a legitimate place to consider for those seeking to escape Connecticut's woes. Culturally, gastronomically, and climate-wise, Louisville is a pretty nice place. Many nice neighborhoods, physical beauty, lower cost of living, and a friendlier veneer are all pretty A Blue voter could like living there as well.

The University has used big time athletics to raise its profile, and Jurich leveraged as necessary a narrative that resulted in "You're in ACC Country" branding at key locations within a city with a good flow. @LStudfellow wrote pretty perceptive about this above.
Time will tell if the basketball scandal & penalty are just a speed bump. It remains to be seen, as well, how UofL Foundation and accreditation and Board of Trustees issues play out.
Surely, it's all more evidence of a debased culture, and evident in many dimensions through Kentucky, the NCAA, and the US, but I suspect that many of those who are outraged cherry pick what does and doesn't disgust them.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
University of Louisville transitioned from being the oldest municipally-owned university in the US to being its home state's second public research university. Along with Yankee snobbery, that somewhat justifies claims that it is a glorified community college. There's scant opportunity that the student body quality will ever approach that of UConn, but it's pretty incomplete story that probably reveals the continued butt hurt that they got the last P5 slot and we didn't.

UofL's endowment & research dollars continue to exceed those of UConn. Admission, retention and graduation metrics have improved, though not as dramatically as with UConn. More students, however, remain in the area to contribute to the regional economy. By merging the City of Louisville & Jefferson County, the center city is not left with neglect and burdens that cities like Hartford, New Haven, and Bridgeport cannot sustain. If you're a Blue state person like I am, then there are dimensions of Kentucky that are pretty objectionable, but if you're voting Red, then Louisville is a legitimate place to consider for those seeking to escape Connecticut's woes. Culturally, gastronomically, and climate-wise, Louisville is a pretty nice place. Many nice neighborhoods, physical beauty, lower cost of living, and a friendlier veneer are all pretty A Blue voter could like living there as well.

The University has used big time athletics to raise its profile, and Jurich leveraged as necessary a narrative that resulted in "You're in ACC Country" branding at key locations within a city with a good flow. @LStudfellow wrote pretty perceptive about this above.
Time will tell if the basketball scandal & penalty are just a speed bump. It remains to be seen, as well, how UofL Foundation and accreditation and Board of Trustees issues play out.
Surely, it's all more evidence of a debased culture, and evident in many dimensions through Kentucky, the NCAA, and the US, but I suspect that many of those who are outraged cherry pick what does and doesn't disgust them.
Great story except it seems to have missed the part where the Univ. of Louisville recruited by, essentially, hiring prostitutes to have relations with underage kids. That's not the UL's only sordid scandal, it's just the most recent.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Great story except it seems to have missed the part where the Univ. of Louisville recruited by, essentially, hiring prostitutes to have relations with underage kids. That's not the UL's only sordid scandal, it's just the most recent.
That stuff (and much else) is horrific, but it fits in a world in which Roy Cohn, Roger Stone, Roger Ailes, and assorted others have scored victories and continue to receive support from sources I wish weren't so.

Repugnance isn't as repugnant as it once was, and I shudder to think of how widespread similar bad behavior is and how many here might think the crime lies primarily in getting caught.
I'd be perfectly happy if Syracuse, UNC, and UofL had NCs stripped, and their HoF coaches finishing with fewer victories than JC, but even more than that, I wish UConn had been tapped for the ACC 5 years ago.

C

Chief00

Guess one could say there is not enough outrage outside of Louisville. From a thread on the Louisville Foundation Audit Findings thread in the CR Forum:

KelTheTweeter‏ @bluekel Jun 9
The number of scandals under the Jurich reign (intentional word choice) is staggering. Yet he gets a free pass on it all.

True, Warde was drinking tropical drinks while are Future was being stolen by Jurich. No sugar coating that mess.

Reaction Score
True, Warde was drinking tropical drinks while are Future was being stolen by Jurich. No sugar coating that mess.

The optics may have been bad but nothing WM/SH could have done would have changed the decision. Louisville was the more strategic choice at the time.

Reaction Score
This goes on everywhere. Most are more discreet about, but it's difficult to confine a matter of this scope to one program, and I think you'd find that the outrage level about 16 and 17-year olds mingling with hookers is lesser in other parts of the country than it might be here. My hunch is that this is child's play when compared to SEC football.

It looks like Pitino's plausible deniability is intact, which means this is just as murky as just about every other NCAA investigation. Certainly, it's not a stretch to think he knew, but if you're calling for his termination, that's a tough hurdle to clear.

This is a personal opinion, but Louisville isn't the school that makes me mad when I think of corruption in college athletics. There is a certain transparency to their shenanigans that is admirable, but more importantly, it is an institution unanimously loathed as repugnant. Louisville is the bad boy of college athletics and their evisceration - both by the NCAA and us - is all too convenient. At the end of the day, this is just a Conference USA school out here hustling. They're the the child of corruption and not the father.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The optics may have been bad but nothing WM/SH could have done would have changed the decision. Louisville was the more strategic choice at the time.

That may well be true, but we had the advantages of a better location, market share, academics, and a shared vision with the majority of ACC schools regarding the long term future of the conference. Louisville offered a better football program, period. We should have been camped out on Swofford's doorstep during the entire process. Instead, we allowed Jurich to take the offensive with a slick marketing campaign. He button holed anybody and everybody politicking for it. The perception now is we sat back and watched because we thought we had it in the bag. Would a more concerted effort have changed anything? Probably not, but it was certainly worth at least making that effort. If you can't beat out Louisville, who can you ever beat out?

C

Chief00

Sorry, I don't really buy that - we got out worked and out messaged.

C

Chief00

This goes on everywhere. Most are more discreet about, but it's difficult to confine a matter of this scope to one program, and I think you'd find that the outrage level about 16 and 17-year olds mingling with hookers is lesser in other parts of the country than it might be here. My hunch is that this is child's play when compared to SEC football.

It looks like Pitino's plausible deniability is intact, which means this is just as murky as just about every other NCAA investigation. Certainly, it's not a stretch to think he knew, but if you're calling for his termination, that's a tough hurdle to clear.

This is a personal opinion, but Louisville isn't the school that makes me mad when I think of corruption in college athletics. There is a certain transparency to their shenanigans that is admirable, but more importantly, it is an institution unanimously loathed as repugnant. Louisville is the bad boy of college athletics and their evisceration - both by the NCAA and us - is all too convenient. At the end of the day, this is just a Conference USA school out here hustling. They're the the child of corruption and not the father.

Agreed, you framed the context well.

Although, I would put Pitino in the father of corruption category. I wonder what that lady thinks who reprimanded me for yelling various things at Pitino at his last Gampel game? He is even worse than some things I said.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
That may well be true, but we had the advantages of a better location, market share, academics, and a shared vision with the majority of ACC schools regarding the long term future of the conference. Louisville offered a better football program, period. We should have been camped out on Swofford's doorstep during the entire process. Instead, we allowed Jurich to take the offensive with a slick marketing campaign. He button holed anybody and everybody politicking for it. The perception now is we sat back and watched because we thought we had it in the bag. Would a more concerted effort have changed anything? Probably not, but it was certainly worth at least making that effort. If you can't beat out Louisville, who can you ever beat out?
I am not a Uconn grad but as a fan and resident my hope is that Uconn winds up in the B1G. It just seems like an all around better conference that Uconn standards measure up to. Really hoping for the FB and BB programs to turn this thing around because the New England/New York market could really shine if we are capable of dominating. Now that would be pretty sweet with BC and 'Cuse in the neighborhood to boot. Some of the recent personnel moves in both sports have me hoping that this dream is still a real possibility.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Obligatory CL82 response:

The Pina Colada Song (UConn version)
I am tired of our conference, I mean it does kind of suck.
But I don't see a way out, without a whole lotta luck.
How did we end up here, when were really hot?
I thought back on how Louisville got the last P5 spot:

Warde had Pina Coladas, while watching girls' basketball.
He did not do any lobbying which is what caused us to fall.
If you like being in a real conference, with teams that you've known for years,
Don't trust the fan of the donuts or you'll end up in tears.

Now I don't blame Suzy, I know it sounds kind of mean.
But I expect that a "rock star" would have known the routine.
Nothing is given, to those who sit back and wait.
And when you think where the blame lies, it's not up for debate.

He should have been working, so our bid wouldn't stall.
So now we're stuck playing Tulsa and likely will be for years.
We trusted the fan of the donuts and ended up in tears.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Obligatory CL82 response:

The Pina Colada Song (UConn version)
I am tired of our conference, I mean it does kind of suck.
But I don't see a way out, without a whole lotta luck.
How did we end up here, when were really hot?
I thought back on how Louisville got the last P5 spot:

He did not do any lobbying which is what caused us to fall.
If you like being in a real conference, with teams that you've known for years,
Don't trust the fan of the donuts or you'll end up in tears.

Now I don't blame Suzy, I know it sounds kind of mean.
But I expect that a "rock star" would have known the routine.
Nothing is given, to those who sit back and wait.
And when you think where the blame lies, it's not up for debate.

He should have been working, so our bid wouldn't stall.
So now we're stuck playing Tulsa and likely will be for years.
We trusted the fan of the donuts and ended up in tears.

Finally giving up on CR desires. Congrats. It much more serene on the hopelessly resigned side. Pull up a chair.

Reaction Score
Nonsense. They were caught with their pants down and failed to challenge the narrative UL put out there. I could go into a lot more but no use refighting that battle. Let's just say we agree to disagree on the leadership that was provided on that issue.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Dedicated to Warde Manuel...have another PC and doughnut on us, Warde! Love that UConn Women's BB in the tropics when we're gonna win every game by 40 or more points!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom