NCAA Recommends Immediate Transfer Playing Time w/ Grades | The Boneyard

NCAA Recommends Immediate Transfer Playing Time w/ Grades

Reaction Score
If this passes, time to reel in Washington.

The Division I Committee on Academics will recommend to the Transfer Working Group that four-year transfer student-athletes who meet specific grade-point average and progress-toward-degree requirements be able to compete immediately at the second school.

Reaction Score
I don't like it. If the threshold is 3.0, you're gonna see a lot of 2.8's.

Reaction Score
So the rule is if you transfer to Duke or Notre Dame you can probably play right away. I get it

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
So the rule is if you transfer to Duke or Notre Dame you can probably play right away. I get it

Stanford and Northwestern too probably.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
My idea is to grant one more year of eligibility to the 5 year window to make it six years for anyone that experiences a head coaching change while on the roster. This would throw kids a bone, without turning into sports into chaos. This would allow kids to transfer - but still with the consequence of having to sit one year which will require more thoughtfulness. You would only get one bonus year of eligibility regardless if a player experiences more than 1 coaching change.

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Am I the only one thinking they might actually put these kids in some real classes so they won't get an easy 3.0?
Yep you’re the only one. Schools just change the parameters of their grades. Picture “War Games” with Cryin Roy altering grades instead of Mathew Broderick.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
This will be a disaster and completely laughs at the idea of the "student athlete" while letting the NCAA hide behind "but grades!"

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Can't read the article. Did it mention anything about the kids being able to transfer immediately if their coach leaves?

the Q

Reaction Score
Yep you’re the only one. Schools just change the parameters of their grades. Picture “War Games” with Cryin Roy altering grades instead of Mathew Broderick.

Can you imagine the appeals? Auditing grades from classes to try and justify the grades

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Can you imagine the appeals? Auditing grades from classes to try and justify the grades
It would be the one upside to this rule change exposing the fraudulent charade of academics in several programs.

the Q

Reaction Score
It would be the one upside to this rule change exposing the fraudulent charade of academics in several programs.

Hopefully the NBA will at least get a bunch of the kids who has no interest being there off the campus so there is less of it.

Reaction Score
Minimum NCAA GPA requirement for transfer should be 2.0 or C average. As long as a player is passing his courses and is not on academic probation an acceptable GPA should be determined by the university. Who do they think they are fooling with academic requirements?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Hopefully the NBA will at least get a bunch of the kids who has no interest being there off the campus so there is less of it.
The NCAA is hoping to convince the public they are serious about academics. It’s a desperate attempt to keep their cash cow in as close to the current format currently.

Reaction Score
You know this is nonsense and I know it and everyone knows it. The current rule is fine. Maybe even lenient. Coach gets fired or moves on, suck it up and play for the new guy. What happens if you make the League with the Knicks and they fire the coach? You can’t whine and transfer to Boston. Or heaven forbid you get a real job and the guy who hired you moves on. These guys are such babies. And I can’t wait until some kid wants to transfer to Kentucky and only has a 2.8 until Honest John gets caught paying off some administrator to cook the books

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You know this is nonsense and I know it and everyone knows it. The current rule is fine. Maybe even lenient. Coach gets fired or moves on, suck it up and play for the new guy. What happens if you make the League with the Knicks and they fire the coach? You can’t whine and transfer to Boston. Or heaven forbid you get a real job and the guy who hired you moves on. These guys are such babies. And I can’t wait until some kid wants to transfer to Kentucky and only has a 2.8 until Honest John gets caught paying off some administrator to cook the books

Yeah, how dare college students be allowed to transfer between institutions if they’ve done well enough to get into their new school. Absurd.

Reaction Score

Schools insist student-athletes are not employees. If they're not employees, they should be allowed the same privileges as regular students.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Schools insist student-athletes are not employees. If they're not employees, they should be allowed the same privileges as regular students.

They have the same privileges though. They can transfer whenever they want and attend classes right away. Sitting out a sports season is something that doesn't apply to regular students.

I think overall the idea is half baked. If your coach leaves or is fired, you should be able to go and not sit out.

The whole point of the idea is to ensure continuity for programs and some semblance of competitive balance. That's all gonna go out the window now.

It could hurt high school recruits as well. "what, you committed to us? Sorry, a better kid wants to transfer here..."

Heck, it could sort of be like a developmental league. Low and mid majors could develop kids, and then big programs could poach who they want.

Reaction Score
Somehow I am not surprised by how blind the NCAA is to the counter-intuitiveness of this proposal. The point of going to college is to learn, and that learning is compromised - as if it's not already by virtue of working a full-time job with business trips to East Carolina for conference games - when it is in the best interest of your basketball career to avoid challenging professors and ambitious course loads. Then there's the part where a 2.8 GPA at Stanford isn't exactly the same as a 3.1 some place else...

Conflict of interest? Would never happen! Nope, no way a coach would ever have a problem with a disgruntled player prioritizing his school work so he can transfer rather than spending that time learning the offense. No way booster money could ever be funneled to a professor in exchange for the tweaking of a grade. The solution to persisting disputes over amateurism is almost always to empower bureaucracies and introduce more subjectivity and arbitrariness. I can't wait for their next trick: "we'll pay the players, but only those on the Dean's list."

Reaction Score

The disdain you have for these kids is mind-boggling.

Reaction Score
They have the same privileges though. They can transfer whenever they want and attend classes right away. Sitting out a sports season is something that doesn't apply to regular students.

Normal students do not have to sit out a year of their favorite extracurricular club because of transferring, which is the closest analogy, again, assuming players are not employees.

In this case, the extracurricular organizer has created a double standard where only the students in the revenue-generating clubs have to sit out of their clubs for a year, and not the other students playing in other clubs under the purview of the same organizer (currently non-revenue athletes can get a waiver to play immediately following transferring in good standing)..

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Normal students do not have to sit out a year of their favorite extracurricular club because of transferring, which is the closest analogy, again, assuming players are not employees.

In this case, the extracurricular organizer has created a double standard where only the students in the revenue-generating clubs have to sit out of their clubs for a year, and not the other students playing in other clubs under the purview of the same organizer (currently non-revenue athletes can get a waiver to play immediately following transferring in good standing)..

Well, the student's favorite extracurricular activity doesn't pay for their schooling either.

Not a comment on you per se, but it's mind boggling how everybody downplays the free education thing. It's worth upwards of $200k, and free study help on top of that.

Most kids go into debt for decades to get that degree, for a $35k job after school, and no promises.

I mean the advantage is astronomical if you are comparing the two groups. Maybe 30 years ago, the advantage wasn't as dramatic, but the cost of schooling nowadays is ridiculous these days.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom