NCAA Recommends Immediate Transfer Playing Time w/ Grades | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NCAA Recommends Immediate Transfer Playing Time w/ Grades

Reaction Score
I think part of the problem is the difference in needs between the majority of student-athletes and high major bball and football. MOST athletes are not huge revenue generators who will go pro. A few are, but those few are often the only ones the public thinks of

Reaction Score
Normal students do not have to sit out a year of their favorite extracurricular club because of transferring, which is the closest analogy, again, assuming players are not employees.

In this case, the extracurricular organizer has created a double standard where only the students in the revenue-generating clubs have to sit out of their clubs for a year, and not the other students playing in other clubs under the purview of the same organizer (currently non-revenue athletes can get a waiver to play immediately following transferring in good standing)..

Currently depends on which “club” and at what “level” and whether there was an athletic scholarship involved:

>>One-time transfer exception: If you transfer from a four-year school, you may be immediately eligible to compete at your new school if you meet ALL the following conditions:
  • You are transferring to a Division II or III school, or you are transferring to a Division I school in any sport other than baseball, men's or women's basketball, football (Football Bowl Subdivision) or men’s ice hockey. If you are transferring to a Division I school for any of the previously-listed sports, you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship.
  • You are academically and athletically eligible at your previous four-year school.
  • You receive a transfer-release agreement from your previous four-year school.
Waiver: An action that sets aside an NCAA rule because a specific, extraordinary circumstance prevents you from meeting the rule. An NCAA school may file a waiver on your behalf; you cannot file a waiver for yourself. The school does not administer the waiver, the conference office or NCAA does <<

Reaction Score
Yeah, how dare college students be allowed to transfer between institutions if they’ve done well enough to get into their new school. Absurd.
Cry me a river. They can transfer all they want NOW. Not one thing is preventing any player at any school from transferring to any school that will accept him. Zero. Nada. Zippo. So long as you meet the requirements it has and get accepted you can just go. Just like every other person at every school. And as last year’s situation clearly demonstrated, the current rule is at most a nuisance but certainly no deterrent.

What you mean is he can’t play basketball. But so what? He has to sit a year. . This will result in blatant recruiting of mid majors. It already goes on but will be just blatant once this goes into effect.

And pleas don’t give me the “favorite extracurricular activity” crap. Nobody is paying the tuition of the president of the chess club or the folk dancing society’s tuition or giving them an extra 3-5 grand for incidentals. So yeah, those guys don’t have to wait.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Book It, Dook,AZ and UK will pay kids to transfer to their program to bolster their roster for the next season.

Reaction Score
What you mean is he can’t play basketball. But so what? He has to sit a year. . This will result in blatant recruiting of mid majors. It already goes on but will be just blatant once this goes into effect.

And pleas don’t give me the “favorite extracurricular activity” crap. Nobody is paying the tuition of the president of the chess club or the folk dancing society’s tuition or giving them an extra 3-5 grand for incidentals. So yeah, those guys don’t have to wait.

People pay the tuition of the captain of the lacrosse team. And they can transfer with a waiver to play immediately.

Your argument is that it is good to delay the eligibility of transferring revenue sports players because it would mean less transfers. You are arguing that for the good of the product (more consistent rosters, better mid-majors), we should limit transfers.

1) The transfer rate for Men's Basketball is already 27%.
2) The transfer rate for Men's Basketball is the highest of any NCAA sport.
3) Men's basketball is one of the 4 sports not eligible for the one-time transfer exception waiver.

The rule doesn't actually DO anything to prevent the problem you think it helps with. All it does is annoy and inconvenience student athletes.

pj

Reaction Score
This is going to drive up the salaries of the top coaches, and create huge turnover in the coaching ranks. The poorer coaches will see half their roster transfer every year, as a result they'll lose huge and be fired quickly. With constant turnover, the school won't be able to attract players, and will stay at the bottom permanently. The top schools will get to choose the best players from all of college basketball, so can stop recruiting high school kids and focus on transfers. The rich will get richer (in victories) and the poor poorer.

Reaction Score
The rich will get richer (in victories) and the poor poorer.
I agree with that. It is already happening too.

I also think this whole quadrant business benefits larger P5 schools more than anything. It amazes me that, in the past, schools like VCU, GMason, Butler, etc. broke through to the final four (and championship game for Butler who came within an inch of winning it) despite all the difficulty they faced. Truly underdog stories if there ever was one. And this year it was only made harder for little schools to do well and yet Loyola broke through any way. One of the most amazing stories in sports these past 2 or 3 decades, with all the hurdles put into place for mid majors. The climate and opportunity for success for small schools will only become more difficult (unfairly so) which is very sad IMO. We shall see what happens...

Reaction Score
People pay the tuition of the captain of the lacrosse team. And they can transfer with a waiver to play immediately.

Your argument is that it is good to delay the eligibility of transferring revenue sports players because it would mean less transfers. You are arguing that for the good of the product (more consistent rosters, better mid-majors), we should limit transfers.

1) The transfer rate for Men's Basketball is already 27%.
2) The transfer rate for Men's Basketball is the highest of any NCAA sport.
3) Men's basketball is one of the 4 sports not eligible for the one-time transfer exception waiver.

The rule doesn't actually DO anything to prevent the problem you think it helps with. All it does is annoy and inconvenience student athletes.
Once again, tough luck. Your argument is that they shouldn’t be inconvenienced because...Well just because. I say they are getting free tuition, housing books and some extra cash in major conferences. They can transfer any time they want. What is stopping them? Since over a quarter of players transfer now it obviously isn’t THAT much of an inconvenience. It ought to be stricter in my view. Transfer and you sit plus lose that year. That would stop the embarrassment of coaches acting like NBA GMs. Combine it with limiting reuse of scholarships if a guy leaves after a year for the NBA and you’d actually restore a modicum of integrity to the game. And some competitive balance too.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Or heaven forbid you get a real job and the guy who hired you moves such babies. And I can’t wait until some kid wants to transfer to Kentucky and only has a 2.8 until Honest John gets caught paying off some administrator to cook the books

In the real world, you can change jobs and not sit out a year.
Was waiting for you to end your post / with:
Get off my lawn!

Reaction Score
In the real world, you can change jobs and not sit out a year.
Was waiting for you to end your post / with:
Get off my lawn!
In the real world you also pay tuition and fees and housing and work in the library or for some professor to earn cash and you pay for a tutor if you need one. And in fact you you might have to wait a year or more to go to work for a competitor or even a supplier or customer.

As I said it obviously isn’t too much of a hindrance if a quarter of college basketball players transfer every year. The cartel members know they can’t totally keep midmajors out of the tournament, though heaven knows they would love to and they will uses every kind of bogus stat to minimize their numbers (I believe it was Churchill who said there are liars, damned liars, and statisticians). So they’ll just make it easier to steal their best players. And I still haven’t heard a reason why this change is a good idea—that the players find it inconvenient doesn’t really cut it. I’m sure they find going to class, taking exams, stopping at stop signs, all inconvenient. And they can avoid all those things, well not the stop signs, by skipping college altogether and going pro. More of them should do that, really.

Reaction Score
Once again, tough luck. Your argument is that they shouldn’t be inconvenienced because...

As I said, because right now it doesn't actually do anything. So why are we making it harder for student athletes for no gain. It's a charade.

Since over a quarter of players transfer now it obviously isn’t THAT much of an inconvenience. It ought to be stricter in my view. Transfer and you sit plus lose that year. That would stop the embarrassment of coaches acting like NBA GMs. Combine it with limiting reuse of scholarships if a guy leaves after a year for the NBA and you’d actually restore a modicum of integrity to the game. And some competitive balance too.

If you want to make it stricter, then you're actually harming students who transfer, not just inconveniencing. There are many student athletes who are forced to transfer for very legitimate reasons. So then you're really valuing the game over the quality of life of people. I find that morally wrong, but we may disagree. You could add waivers and exceptions. Depending on how it's executed, I could even be okay with that system, but as we've seen finding the balance between tough to deceive/exploit and working as intended to prevent unjust injury is extremely difficult.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
As I said, because right now it doesn't actually do anything. So why are we making it harder for student athletes for no gain. It's a charade.

If you want to make it stricter, then you're actually harming students who transfer, not just inconveniencing. There are many student athletes who are forced to transfer for very legitimate reasons. So then you're really valuing the game over the quality of life of people. I find that morally wrong, but we may disagree. You could add waivers and exceptions. Depending on how it's executed, I could even be okay with that system, but as we've seen finding the balance between tough to deceive/exploit and working as intended to prevent unjust injury is extremely difficult.

At some point, you have to try and protect the competitive balance of the game. A lot rides on that, including the public's continued support (read money). Where that line exactly is, I'm not saying.

Lots of jobs are on the line as well, people's livelihoods affected by (what can be) the whims of teenagers. And I'm not talking about the wealthiest head coach, but lots of lower level people involved.

I don't think it's harming students egregiously, if at all (it doesn't scholastically in the least). In fact, it's helping them on a number of fronts. You can get an extra year of schooling if you wish, to simply focus on your grades, bank classes to spread the workload, or use towards a graduate degree. And from an athletic perspective, many transfers have commented on the benefits of the developmental year off.

If you transfer, it essentially gives you another $50,000 and more opportunity. Really depends on how you look at it.

In the end though, it depends how the rule will be exploited. And make no mistake it will be. There are obvious places where exceptions comes into play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom