NCAA Preseason Top-10 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

NCAA Preseason Top-10

Reaction Score
I think an objective person will acknowledge that PAC-12 has made significant progress on the national scene over the past 4 years (a trend). And, now, for the 1st time (ever?) all pre-season polls I've seen, have 3 x PAC-12 teams ranked in the top 10 (one pre-season poll has 4 x PAC-12 Teams in Top 10). This is one reason I believe there are 5-6 teams across the country that have a legitimate chance to win the National Championship this year. It IS that wide open. UCONN is no longer the perennial favorite, and, unlike some here, I don't see any one team in WCBB in the next 3-4 years as the perennial favorite.
I agree the PAC 12 has made major strides over the last 4 years. Ducks are one of the two PAC 12 teams with a chance to win it all (Tara always has a chance, just hasn't done it in the last 27 years), so they better do it this year because...

I disagree that no one team will be the perennial favorite over the next 3-4 years. When Bueckers gets to UConn and brings Fudd with her the following year, UConn will be the perennial favorite for years to come.

Reaction Score
I think an objective person will acknowledge that PAC-12 has made significant progress on the national scene over the past 4 years (a trend). And, now, for the 1st time (ever?) all pre-season polls I've seen, have 3 x PAC-12 teams ranked in the top 10 (one pre-season poll has 4 x PAC-12 Teams in Top 10). This is one reason I believe there are 5-6 teams across the country that have a legitimate chance to win the National Championship this year. It IS that wide open. UCONN is no longer the perennial favorite, and, unlike some here, I don't see any one team in WCBB in the next 3-4 years as the perennial favorite.

If you don't see UConn as the perennial favorite going forward after this year, you are kidding yourself!

Reaction Score
I'll stop kidding myself when Fudd signs. ;)

Speaking of Fudd, any additional recruiting news on which schools are in the lead for her services following her ACL/MCL surgery in May?

Reaction Score
Speaking of Fudd, any additional recruiting news on which schools are in the lead for her services following her ACL/MCL surgery in May?

I heard "somewhere" that she is deathly afraid of fire and/or mudslides and has ruled out any school in the Golden State. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
What about South Carolina, Baylor, Stanford? They all have had top recruiting classes and still enroute to pick up more great talent in the 2020 and 2021 classes.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
While I believe that Ono might still have the highest ceiling of all the Uconn players, it will not manifest itself this coming season. The fact that she has had a late growth spurt means that she is still not physically developed. When her body catches up to her height it should make her stronger and better able to deal with the rigors of low post play. I see her as more of a late bloomer.
How you can write the embolden as a “fact”, is beyond your skill set (and everyone’s skill set). If anything, the blossoming of past sophomore jumps into National Relevance of Moriah, DT, Pheesa, KLS or the Junior year huge improvement of Gabby. These things happen in Storrs and I am a believer that Ono, despite your view of her limited bulk (her height is more than ample) will be dominant and doesn’t have any behemoths of Kalani Brown or Teaira McCowan who did have a bulk.

Confidence is 85% of the factor when players have skill levels we are talking about (15% falling into timing of good luck, planning etc). The good news is we will know pretty quickly how this confidence has been transformed. Color me a believer (in this case at least!) :cool:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Will the power shift in WCBB continue westward in 2019-20?
Well the power shift occurred 2 years ago from top to bottom, however the championship hasn’t occurred in 27 years and counting. Could the PAC12 win this year, yes, very possible it could. But we already all agree the PAC12 is the top WCBB conference but it is not a fait accompli for a championship. So take your moment in the sun and relish it, just don’t keep poking the Bear on a UConn site (and with Baylor fans as well-see what I did there?:rolleyes: ).

Reaction Score
Well the power shift occurred 2 years ago from top to bottom, however the championship hasn’t occurred in 27 years and counting. Could the PAC12 win this year, yes, very possible it could. But we already all agree the PAC12 is the top WCBB conference but it is not a fait accompli for a championship. So take your moment in the sun and relish it, just don’t keep poking the Bear on a UConn site (and with Baylor fans as well-see what I did there?:rolleyes: ).
I think it is a great topic of conversation. Probably should take it to the General Board. Thanks.

Reaction Score
How you can write the embolden as a “fact”, is beyond your skill set (and everyone’s skill set). If anything, the blossoming of past sophomore jumps into National Relevance of Moriah, DT, Pheesa, KLS or the Junior year huge improvement of Gabby. These things happen in Storrs and I am a believer that Ono, despite your view of her limited bulk (her height is more than ample) will be dominant and doesn’t have any behemoths of Kalani Brown or Teaira McCowan who did have a bulk.

Confidence is 85% of the factor when players have skill levels we are talking about (15% falling into timing of good luck, planning etc). The good news is we will know pretty quickly how this confidence has been transformed. Color me a believer (in this case at least!) :cool:
Read my entire first sentence. I said that her ceiling will not manifest itself this coming season. That is a relatively safe thing to say. Some players mature and peak earlier, while others peak later. I suspect she is one of the later. What I stated has nothing to do with the sophomore leap. It has to do with her physical ceiling. She might not hit her physical ceiling until she turns pro. Late growth spurts usually point in that direction.What I am saying is that she might turn out to be the best of the present crop at Uconn, and is why she was picked for the National Team.

Reaction Score
There is no doubt that Liv will gain confidence as the season goes on. A lot of times, for younger post players to excel, they need minutes to gain confidence and experience, and that was something Liv didn't get a ton of last year.

Liv is like a fine wine, and will only get better with time. This year, she will have PLENTY of minutes to get acclimated to becoming a dominant post.

Reaction Score
"There is no doubt that Liv will gain confidence as the season goes on. A lot of times, for younger post players to excel, they need minutes to gain confidence and experience, and that was something Liv didn't get a ton of last year. "

As a PAC-12 fan whose favorite teams are Oregon State and Stanford, the upside of ONO is perhaps the characteristic/area of UConn for '19-'20 that worries me the most. Both Williams and Dangerfield are likely Top 10 (or perhaps Top 5) WNBA draft picks when they come out, but they are known quantities whose skill sets are more widely known and on a lot of DVR/video. ONO's emergence is more recent and her ceiling is scary high to those of us who have only seen glimpses of how disruptive to opposing defenses she likely will become. I'm sure she is getting physically stronger with each passing day. As her strength increases, so too does her ability to cover the paint and allow both Dangerfield and Williams (with potentially Westbrook as well) to gamble in the passing lanes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom