NCAA Preseason Top-10 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

NCAA Preseason Top-10

Reaction Score
It's just an opinion and their is no need to start trying to remove opinion articles. Nothing more and nothing less and FWIW, I believe Michelle is arriving at her opinion honestly. Just because her arguments may be incomplete and/or inconsistent or simply not satisfy everyone does not mean she is trying to pull one over. I tend to favor being underrated since it will light a fire under the program.
Normally I’d agree, except that this “opinion” piece uses facts and justification for every team except UConn, which makes it hard to stomach as just someone’s opinion. Besides that my issue wasn’t with her opinion, it was with her lack of journalistic integrity. She mentioned over half the players on Stanford’s roster and yet can barely speak on two of UConn’s players. It shouldn’t be taken down for where she has UConn places—she may very well be right in where she put them. However, it should be taken down when it shows bias and is written for an organization (NCAA) that is supposed to look without bias. Like I said, she justifies every other ranking, but can’t be bothered to include facts to back up her UConn placement. It’s poor journalism.

Reaction Score
West Coast bias is so annoying isn't it? :rolleyes:
Michelle Smith does her share of writing for the PAC-12, so I am not surprised that her understanding of PAC-12 teams comes through fairly clearly in her preseason rankings at the expense of the other projected Top 10 teams.

Reaction Score
Normally I’d agree, except that this “opinion” piece uses facts and justification for every team except UConn, which makes it hard to stomach as just someone’s opinion. Besides that my issue wasn’t with her opinion, it was with her lack of journalistic integrity. She mentioned over half the players on Stanford’s roster and yet can barely speak on two of UConn’s players. It shouldn’t be taken down for where she has UConn places—she may very well be right in where she put them. However, it should be taken down when it shows bias and is written for an organization (NCAA) that is supposed to look without bias. Like I said, she justifies every other ranking, but can’t be bothered to include facts to back up her UConn placement. It’s poor journalism.

Kind of reminds one of the selection committee's comments after the bracket is posted. They have different reasoning behind every decision. No consistency.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
What strikes me is that it seems like Michelle Smith talks about offseason developments of injured players and incoming freshman, but makes no note of Adebayo, Griffin, or the possibility for Camara to be healthy. She also seems to miss Megan Walker entirely. Especially since she went into such detail about incoming/transfer players for both Stanford and Mississippi State, it just seems like a shot at UConn. The “it’s been three years since UConn won a title” bit seems wildly out of place given the no. 1 team has never won a title. I’d be more understanding of her analysis of UConn if she went through the loss of scoring/rebounding/assists/steals/blocks with the graduation of KLS sand Collier. But, since she makes no mention of it, I say the NCAA should take this article down for the lack of journalistic integrity.

She did mention Westbrook. Does anyone expect any of Camara/Adebayo/Griffin to make a significant impact for UCONN this year? I don't. A bit surprised there is no mention on Walker but honestly the article seemed rushed and doesn't make me think the writer knows WCBB very well.

Reaction Score
She did mention Westbrook. Does anyone expect any of Camara/Adebayo/Griffin to make a significant impact for UCONN this year? I don't. A bit surprised there is no mention on Walker but honestly the article seemed rushed and doesn't make me think the writer knows WCBB very well.

Dang, Adebayo drops 28 on your squad and still gets no respect!:rolleyes:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Not notable enough to be mentioned as an impact player in a hurried top 10 article.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not notable enough to be mentioned as an impact player in a hurried top 10 article.
I guess if Evelyn had dropped 28 on a top team like say East Carolina, that might of earned her a mention in the article. :rolleyes:

But against the LV’s not so much. ;)

Reaction Score

She had oodles of time and things to say about Tara's team.
I'll be happier when actual games replace hurried opinions.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I think you guys are spending more time dissecting the article than she took to write it, times 10. It was one take, and one that, + or - 2-3 rankings spots per team, I think is probably not wrong. UConn is clearly not at the Oregon or Baylor level at this moment, and everything from 3-7 is debatable and depends on injuries, transfer waivers, team gelling, etc. If I had to guess, once aggregated with AP or Coaches poll voting, UConn will settle in the 4-5 range, which is where I'd put them for now until I know more about Westbrook, etc.

Be thankful Geno has something to motivate his players with and move on!

Reaction Score
I think you guys are spending more time dissecting the article than she took to write it, times 10. It was one take, and one that, + or - 2-3 rankings spots per team, I think is probably not wrong. UConn is clearly not at the Oregon or Baylor level at this moment, and everything from 3-7 is debatable and depends on injuries, transfer waivers, team gelling, etc. If I had to guess, once aggregated with AP or Coaches poll voting, UConn will settle in the 4-5 range, which is where I'd put them for now until I know more about Westbrook, etc.

Be thankful Geno has something to motivate his players with and move on!

LOL I agree with all but the last 2 words. Move on to what? Watching highlight videos of 13 year old wanna be's dribbling?
Hey, she put her name to it. And this ain't her 1st rodeo. If her boss gave her an hour to write it she should have already had notes. It isn't like a pre-season top 10 article is a novel idea.

Reaction Score
Yes.

However, until a PAC-12 women's team can seal the deal by winning another NCAA title, fans on this board will consistently remind all of us that a PAC-12 women's team has not won a national title since Stanford did so in 1992. UConn's stranglehold on dominance in WBB may be softening, but its current string of consecutive Final Four appearances may be as (or more) impressive as any major sport run (male or female) in D1 collegiate sports history.

Reaction Score
Yes.

However, until a PAC-12 women's team can seal the deal by winning another NCAA title, fans on this board will consistently remind all of us that a PAC-12 women's team has not won a national title since Stanford did so in 1992. UConn's stranglehold on dominance in WBB may be softening, but its current string of consecutive Final Four appearances may be as (or more) impressive as any major sport run (male or female) in D1 collegiate sports history.

And done in the most competitive era in WCBB.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Or any mention of the youngest player on the gold medal America Cup team. The more I think about it, the more I think ONO is going to be a monster this year.

In evidence, her stats from the FIBA Women's Americup:

Screenshot - 10_4_2019 , 10_44_27.png

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
I like pretty much everything with the exception of 8 fouls in 51 minutes played. I suspect that Geno will be on Liv pretty hard in practice and games about fouling. Right now it’s her Achilles heel.

To me, the stat that stands out is that she took a shot every 2.5 minutes of game time. That means that, on at least every 3rd or 4th offensive posession her teammates thought the best thing to do was to give her the ball.

The 7 assists are nice, too. ;^)

Reaction Score
What strikes me is that it seems like Michelle Smith talks about offseason developments of injured players and incoming freshman, but makes no note of Adebayo, Griffin, or the possibility for Camara to be healthy. She also seems to miss Megan Walker entirely. Especially since she went into such detail about incoming/transfer players for both Stanford and Mississippi State, it just seems like a shot at UConn. The “it’s been three years since UConn won a title” bit seems wildly out of place given the no. 1 team has never won a title. I’d be more understanding of her analysis of UConn if she went through the loss of scoring/rebounding/assists/steals/blocks with the graduation of KLS sand Collier. But, since she makes no mention of it, I say the NCAA should take this article down for the lack of journalistic integrity.

If that thought also goes for the Boneyard...what the heck will we be reading here? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Power shift westward? Only one of the last seven champions has been west of the Mississippi.
I think an objective person will acknowledge that PAC-12 has made significant progress on the national scene over the past 4 years (a trend). And, now, for the 1st time (ever?) all pre-season polls I've seen, have 3 x PAC-12 teams ranked in the top 10 (one pre-season poll has 4 x PAC-12 Teams in Top 10). This is one reason I believe there are 5-6 teams across the country that have a legitimate chance to win the National Championship this year. It IS that wide open. UCONN is no longer the perennial favorite, and, unlike some here, I don't see any one team in WCBB in the next 3-4 years as the perennial favorite.

Reaction Score
If that thought also goes for the Boneyard...what the heck will we be reading here? :rolleyes:
Difference between a discussion board and an organization centered around women’s basketball paying a staff of writers/analysts to produce credible content.:p

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom