NCAA offers plan to bring athletes back to campus | The Boneyard

NCAA offers plan to bring athletes back to campus

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Associated Press -

The NCAA released a long and detailed plan Friday to help schools bring athletes back to campus during a pandemic. The Resocialization of Collegiate Sports: Action Plan Considerations was announced as schools across the country prepare for the return of football players as early as June 8.

This is good news for a UConn athletic department that can use some.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
UConn is closed for the summer, so I'm not sure how much any of this stuff matters.
I'm mildly optimistic. Hearing rumblings about a vaccine in the coming months too. I know Geno would like the kids on campus in June for summer sessions and to get to hang out with each other, bond, do workouts, etc, but that may not be realistic that soon. We will see.

Reaction Score
I see where state announced that classes would begin at state universities in August, which would indicate that sports are on. Voluntary bb practices are starting June 1, June 15 in PAC-12. What Anna does should be interesting.

Reaction Score
I see where state announced that classes would begin at state universities in August, which would indicate that sports are on. Voluntary bb practices are starting June 1, June 15 in PAC-12. What Anna does should be interesting.
CCSU, SCSU, WCSU, and ECSU will be open for the fall semester on August 26. QU and UNH have already announced they will be open for the fall semester as well. Even though it hasn't been officially announced, you can bet UConn won't decide to be the only school in the state that's not going to reopen for the fall semester. If UConn has decided that the campus is unsafe for students to attend summer classes, no basketball or football players should step foot on campus either. If it's unsafe it's unsafe.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
"All student-athletes and staff members will follow elevated safety protocols for testing, tracing and treatment."

Shall we suspend disbelief (a time-honored technique for reading fictional works) and assume that the young ladies will have access to passenger manifests for air travel to CT.? What about airports? Once on campus, things become more manageable.

The NCAA has a plan to resume revenue generation, with inadequate—even for them—plans to protect students who happen to be athletes from infection. Sure, testing wil catch (no pun intended, really) those who are carrying the virus. Most of the time. Current tests do yield some false positives and false negatives, but from an actuarial viewpoint, the NCAA finds the risk acceptable.

I mean, really, we are all good taxpaying Roman citizens; we've paid good coinage to watch the gladiators. To hell with the lions. Let the games begin!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
"All student-athletes and staff members will follow elevated safety protocols for testing, tracing and treatment."

Shall we suspend disbelief (a time-honored technique for reading fictional works) and assume that the young ladies will have access to passenger manifests for air travel to CT.? What about airports? Once on campus, things become more manageable.

The NCAA has a plan to resume revenue generation, with inadequate—even for them—plans to protect students who happen to be athletes from infection. Sure, testing wil catch (no pun intended, really) those who are carrying the virus. Most of the time. Current tests do yield some false positives and false negatives, but from an actuarial viewpoint, the NCAA finds the risk acceptable.

I mean, really, we are all good taxpaying Roman citizens; we've paid good coinage to watch the gladiators. To hell with the lions. Let the games begin!
As good Suetonius said, "Ave Imperator, morituri te salutant". ;)

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
As good Suetonius said, "Ave Imperator, morituri te salutant". ;)

Adding injury to obsequious insult, we have Horace, by way of Wilfred Owen:

Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria* mori.

An early Latin euphemism for NCAA..

image.jpeg

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Can someone provide the highlights of the NCAA doc?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Adding injury to obsequious insult, we have Horace, by way of Wilfred Owen:

Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria* mori.

An early Latin euphemism for NCAA..

View attachment 54854
Mr Owen's effort was always one of my favorites. So apropos for Memorial Day week!

Reaction Score
Every person, whether athlete or not, should decide what risks are acceptable or not in any given situation. The NCAA, or any other person or institution, is not holding a gun to anyone’s head to do anything they don’t want to. If one believes the best thing for them is to quarantine, that is what they should do.

Reaction Score
CCSU, SCSU, WCSU, and ECSU will be open for the fall semester on August 26. QU and UNH have already announced they will be open for the fall semester as well. Even though it hasn't been officially announced, you can bet UConn won't decide to be the only school in the state that's not going to reopen for the fall semester. If UConn has decided that the campus is unsafe for students to attend summer classes, no basketball or football players should step foot on campus either. If it's unsafe it's unsafe.
Safety first. I can wait for bb.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
See Core Principles of Resocialization of Collegiate Sport

Note the logical conflict between numbers three and seven in Phase II.
I have a problem with this sentence:

"Because of the widespread nature of this disease presently, containment strategies such as testing, identification and isolation are neither practical nor efficacious."

It's not so much the widespread nature, it's because we do not have the resources for testing and contact tracing yet. We were caught off guard, and those things are still a work in progress.

They note, "Bear in mind that upward spikes in infection spread may cause resocialization efforts to halt or even retreat until infection spikes lower again." The word "may" gives them wiggle room to ignore the data and plow ahead. I hope they don't do that.

I'm concerned about what happens when people test positive. What rules and guidelines come into play?

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Every person, whether athlete or not, should decide what risks are acceptable or not in any given situation. The NCAA, or any other person or institution, is not holding a gun to anyone’s head to do anything they don’t want to. If one believes the best thing for them is to quarantine, that is what they should do.
I agree wholeheartedly. Just because school is open and even if sporting events might allow fans, it's the individuals responsibility to attend or not. I personally would not want to attend any kind of crowded scenario until a vaccine (not created outside of the USA) is readily available.

Reaction Score
I agree wholeheartedly. Just because school is open and even if sporting events might allow fans, it's the individuals responsibility to attend or not. I personally would not want to attend any kind of crowded scenario until a vaccine (not created outside of the USA) is readily available.
So if Germany becomes the first to develop a vaccine, you won’t take it?! Have you ever asked the technician where your flu shot was manufactured?

Reaction Score
So if Germany becomes the first to develop a vaccine, you won’t take it?! Have you ever asked the technician where your flu shot was manufactured?
And to think one of the most known biologists prominent in the field of vaccines was Louis Pasteur... from France.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
I don't get the flu shot.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
That's a fact!
The flu wasn't created in a lab "overseas" last year.

Reaction Score
[/QUOTE
Uh no. You are assuming that it it is just as difficult to create a safe environment for 50 people as for several thousand. Far easier to control and monitor the movement and behavior of 3 squads of athletes than an entire University.

Reaction Score
Uh no. You are assuming that it it is just as difficult to create a safe environment for 50 people as for several thousand. Far easier to control and monitor the movement and behavior of 3 squads of athletes than an entire University.
If you have students on campus there are services the campus must provide because you have people living there. It's not just squads of athletes that would be impacted. It's a moot point anyway because the state isn't allowing residential programs.

Reaction Score
So the NCAA brings athletes back on campus this week and already an Ohio Sate football player tested positive and two Marshall football players tested positive. Not a good sign moving forward

Reaction Score
It should be very simple and this should apply to all students and visitors.
Everybody who enters campus must be tested at the gate.
If you test negative you are allowed then on campus and you then cannot leave the campus.

Reaction Score
It should be very simple and this should apply to all students and visitors.
Everybody who enters campus must be tested at the gate.
If you test negative you are allowed then on campus and you then cannot leave the campus.
That's not going to work. Staff have to go home at night, some students live off campus, some commute, and many students have jobs to go to.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom