NCAA Extra Year of Eligibility | The Boneyard

NCAA Extra Year of Eligibility

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Just heard a news report in Tampa that the NCAA is considering giving an extra year of eligibility to athletes.

Anyone else hearing this?

Reaction Score
Just heard a news report in Tampa that the NCAA is considering giving an extra year of eligibility to athletes.

Anyone else hearing this?
For athletes involved in spring sports - I posted it in a different thread.

Reaction Score
For athletes involved in spring sports - I posted it in a different thread.
They're still exploring ways to make it work with Winter sports as well.

Took the excerpt below from: NCAA pushing rule change to allow athletes impacted by coronavirus to regain eligibility

Extending similar scholarship relief to those participating in winter sports, namely men's and women's basketball, will be discussed for student-athletes "who were unable to participate in conference or NCAA champions," the letter continued.

Reaction Score
They're still exploring ways to make it work with Winter sports as well.

Took the excerpt below from: NCAA pushing rule change to allow athletes impacted by coronavirus to regain eligibility

Extending similar scholarship relief to those participating in winter sports, namely men's and women's basketball, will be discussed for student-athletes "who were unable to participate in conference or NCAA champions," the letter continued.
Not sure how they are gonna get any of this to work.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Make it really narrow. Seniors who have good grades, on track to graduate in spring, remained at a school for 3 years, players who missed their conference tournaments... etc

Reaction Score
Make it really narrow. Seniors who have good grades, on track to graduate in spring, remained at a school for 3 years, players who missed their conference tournaments... etc
That's still a huge impact.

Reaction Score
I agree with this but boy do I already see the discrimination suits piling up.

Reaction Score
If they do it I don't see how they can use any metric except were they eligible to play at the time of cancellation.

Reaction Score
If they do it I don't see how they can use any metric except were they eligible to play at the time of cancellation.
And not count them as a scholarship

Reaction Score
Imagine if you had 5 seniors on your team, and five incoming freshmen to replace them, that would be bonkers. Would they all get scholarships?

Reaction Score
Only thing that might be worrisome even with the extra year of eligibility is that since this infection has a couple disease cycles, if there isn’t a vaccine by the fall then it might be a major issue. The virus will probably fade a lot in the summer but itll likely return in the fall with a vengeance 1) basketball starts in the fall 2) we won’t have a vaccine to make it safe to play. So I wouldn’t be shocked in the slightest if the next year of basketball is effected and/or be in jeopardy. I just hope everyone stays safe.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They would have to consider the number of allowed scholarships. Who would Hurley run off in order to keep the incoming recruits?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I think this is the correct direction. First note - I don't think you'll see a huge number of interested kids outside of those with professional aspirations who don't wish to or can't jump to the pros. If I'm a hockey player who gets a shift every other game or a pitcher getting an inning in midweek games as a senior, is there any real benefit to committing to another full year of school, off-season workouts, practice etc to repeat that song & dance? If I'm a hockey player with a pro skillset, I may choose to get drafted and move on.
  • Senior in the fall 2019
  • Current undergrad only (can't be post-grad)
  • Good academic standing
  • Cannot be a transfer student
  • Scholarship does not count against limit
  • Cannot transfer and use eligibility elsewhere
  • Must participate in full 20-21 academic year
    • Not sure what you do here - if they were going to graduate, does that mean they need to apply for and be accepted into a graduate degree program? I guess it must......unless they can pursue a second undergrad degree?????

Reaction Score
Must participate in full 20-21 academic year
  • Not sure what you do here - if they were going to graduate, does that mean they need to apply for and be accepted into a graduate degree program? I guess it must......unless they can pursue a second undergrad degree?????

i feel like they already do that all the time. There are always tons of transfers every year taking a year off, redshirts, and grad transfers, all of which results in five year students. It never seems to be an issue. Will this result in several hundred cases? Sure, but I don’t think they will have a problem finding courses for them to take.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
If they grant seniors an extra year of eligibility, it's likely a good percentage of seniors still wouldn't return.

But then again, getting a post-grad degree along with 1 more go at the NCAA tourney is pretty enticing for seniors who aren't quite at the level of making sustainable money playing pro basketball.

Having said that, this would greatly benefit UConn. We could be a bit shorthanded next year as it is. Let's assume CV and AG come back, and the NCAA allows extra scholarships.

PG: Cole, Gilbert, Gaffney
SG: Vital, Bouknight
SF(ish): Jackson, Polley, Adams, Wilson(?)
PF: Whaley, Springs, Akok (med. RS?)
C: Carlton, Brown-Ferguson

That is insane, and probably would never happen. Certain guys would be probably be unhappy with playing time. And that would be the issue across the country if the NCAA does this. There would be a lot of player movement.

But basically, yes please to one more year of CV.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
please don't mention lawyers. we have enuf on our plate as it is, and really don't need to be thinking aboot 'the next plague.' lol.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Most seniors would go on with life after college but some would take up the NCAA on this possible offer. I would hope they would make it so they wouldn't count on the 13 scholarship but only for those seniors who decide to stay.

I will admit I would love CV to come back along AG but my guess that won't happen as CV can make some money overseas or the NBA D-league

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
IF that ever happened to include seniors this year, imagine the numbers of players reopening their recruitment. NCAA would have to let those who desired out of their LOIs. It would be a free for all and only those who were certain lottery picks would be leaving.
Don't know if it would be the most ideal or even equitable decision, if it came up to that, but it would be nice and justifiable for great young men like CV and AG.

Reaction Score
Which schools can afford the cost of the extra scholarships? Oh yea, the P5.
Saw somewhere, I think Geno mentioned that there's already a precedent for this.

If a player is offered a medical redshirt or there's a hardship waiver that grants an extra scholarship to the team but the school can't afford to pay that scholarship the NCAA would foot the bill.

Ie. The Diarra situation this year that allowed Springs to get a scholarship. If Uconn documented that it couldn't pay then NCAA would cover it.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom