NCAA Extra Year of Eligibility | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NCAA Extra Year of Eligibility

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Let’s just keep in mind the man that runs the NCAA is a Sith Dark Lord. This is never gonna happen for basketball and it definitely won’t benefit UCONN

Last edited:

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
If this were to happen, do you guys think CV would come back or go be a 6th man on a top 10 school? If I'm him and choose to stay in college, it's probably not at UConn.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
If this were to happen, do you guys think CV would come back or go be a 6th man on a top 10 school? If I'm him and choose to stay in college, it's probably not at UConn.
CV's not playing college ball next year.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure the whole thing is workable - but I love the idea since my son misses his spring track season. So he will get an extra season to run at Evansville while at grad school. I'm hoping that they do it for winter sports too - so he can run indoor and outdoor for 2 years there.

caw

Reaction Score
I think this is the correct direction. First note - I don't think you'll see a huge number of interested kids outside of those with professional aspirations who don't wish to or can't jump to the pros. If I'm a hockey player who gets a shift every other game or a pitcher getting an inning in midweek games as a senior, is there any real benefit to committing to another full year of school, off-season workouts, practice etc to repeat that song & dance? If I'm a hockey player with a pro skillset, I may choose to get drafted and move on.
  • Senior in the fall 2019
  • Current undergrad only (can't be post-grad)
  • Good academic standing
  • Cannot be a transfer student
  • Scholarship does not count against limit
  • Cannot transfer and use eligibility elsewhere
  • Must participate in full 20-21 academic year
    • Not sure what you do here - if they were going to graduate, does that mean they need to apply for and be accepted into a graduate degree program? I guess it must......unless they can pursue a second undergrad degree?????

one thing to consider is the Ivy League. Remember they do not allow 5th year players. Does the NCAA allow those players to transfer and play?

Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be unfair for a healthy 23 year old player like CV, now working on his 5th full year of college basketball, to be competing with 18 year old freshman with no experience other than high school.
No, it would not

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score

The sole purpose of the College basketball season is to win to play in March. That’s the season. March status. March was taken away.
March is the college basketball season.

Reaction Score
Really if you give seniors an extra year shouldn’t you give everyone one too? Especially for spring sports? Treat it as a redshirt year for everybody.

Reaction Score
It's sad that some seniors missed out on March Madness, but giving them another year would really screw the classes coming behind them. Imagine being an underclassman who has worked hard, and waited his turn. Now, the guy who was in front of him isn't moving on. What if UConn were returning 5 starters, and the competition was being hit hard by graduation. Suddenly, those teams have their stars back. What looked like a UConn team that might be favored to win the BE, is now looking like a middle of the pack team. No way this should happen. These seniors played the full regular season. Some were eliminated in their conference tournaments, and their seasons were over. Why should they get another year?

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
CV was live the other day on Instagram and someone asked him if he was going to apply and he said no way, that they can give his year to someone else if it gets approved. So this would have done us no good anyway and it would have probably helped a few other big east teams so this is good news.

Reaction Score
Some spring sports didn't start (like T&F). I have to believe my son could run in both of his grad school years for Outdoor - since he only competed in 2 years of Outdoor.

Makes it slightly weird - because he can run CC/Indoor/Outdoor this upcoming year and then only Outdoor the 2nd year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom