Men - NCAA Baseball “Road to Omaha” Selection Show (5/30/22 @ Noon on ESPN2) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Men NCAA Baseball “Road to Omaha” Selection Show (5/30/22 @ Noon on ESPN2)

Reaction Score

College Park Regional

Host team: No. 15 Maryland Terrapins (45-12)
Location: Shipley Field at Bob “Turtle” Smith Stadium | College Park, Md.

Game 1: No. 2 Wake Forest vs. No. 3 UConn | Fri., June 3 | 1 p.m.| ESPNU

Game 2: No. 1 Maryland vs. No. 4 Long Island | Fri., June 3 | 7 p.m. | ESPN+

Game 3: Game 1 loser vs. Game 2 loser | Sat., June 4 | TBD | TBD

Game 4: Game 1 winner vs. Game 2 winner | Sat., June 4 | TBD | TBD

Game 5: Game 3 winner vs. Game 4 loser | Sun., June 5 | TBD | TBD

Game 6: Game 4 winner vs. Game 5 winner | Sun., June 5 | TBD | TBD

Game 7*: Game 6 winner vs. Game 6 loser | Mon., June 6 | TBD | TBD

*-Game 7 will only be necessary if the winner of Game 5 also wins Game 6.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
D694BD41-CE72-49F9-9DFD-A51B9203FAC4.jpeg

Reaction Score
Great draw for the Huskies, they’ve really got the opportunity to make it out of this regional, just gotta go out and make it happen!!

Reaction Score
Rutgers was snubbed. A lesson learned for UConn….a weak Big 10 combined with a weak OOC schedule can be an issue with the committee. We can never count on the BE being a two bid league. Very unlikely that UConn would have been in w/out the tourney win.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Peeved that I am driving in Vermont with 2 appointments and won't be able to watch Friday. Not enamored with the regional but will take it. Annoyed that if we win that, we get Stanford as a 2 seed.

Reaction Score
Rutgers was snubbed. A lesson learned for UConn….a weak Big 10 combined with a weak OOC schedule can be an issue with the committee. We can never count on the BE being a two bid league. Very unlikely that UConn would have been in w/out the tourney win.
If we’re being honest, based on stolen bids and the criteria the committee showed, seems like our chances at an at-large this year would’ve been approaching 0%. Thrilled that it doesn’t matter for this year, but certainly instructive for future years.

Reaction Score
If we’re being honest, based on stolen bids and the criteria the committee showed, seems like our chances at an at-large this year would’ve been approaching 0%. Thrilled that it doesn’t matter for this year, but certainly instructive for future years.
How Grand Canyon got in ahead of multiple other teams baffles me

Reaction Score

(Losers)

Maryland

The Terrapins are in as a host for the first time, but it was a real shock to see them all the way down as the 15th host, suggesting that they were closer to not hosting than they were to being a top-eight seed, which for much of last week seemed like a foregone conclusion, especially as Maryland’s RPI at one point soared to No. 3 in the country. Getting Wake Forest and Connecticut in that regional also did the Terrapins no favors. Both have the talent to be an upset winner in College Park.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

If the American was a one-bid league, how is ECU the 8th best team in the field? If they didn't win their tornament they'd miss Omaha? That makes no sense.

Reaction Score
How Grand Canyon got in ahead of multiple other teams baffles me
Grand Canyon beat Stanford and Oregon State in non conference, took 2 of 3 in their season series against Arizona, and swept Texas Tech. Also ended up going 12-6 against teams that ended up in the field. Not saying they were shoe-in but I don’t think many teams that didn’t get in can be mad at Grand Canyon

Reaction Score

Yep. It’s unfortunate that what looks like a moderately aggressive non-con, one that any other year might have served us well, turned out to only really have one good team on it.

The harder truth is that it looks like we need to be more than moderately aggressive. Not sure whether that means Dallas Baptist levels of aggressive, but I think it definitely means that we can’t really afford to play 2-3 game sets against the New England teams anymore. And maybe not all of them we might want to.

Reaction Score
In past years, I remember the committee looking at UConn's non-conference SOS and giving it leeway because there just aren't any good teams -- and only a small number of decent teams -- close enough to play weekday non-conference games against. Rutgers has the same problem we do. There is a lot we can do with our pre-conference weekend trips, but little we can do about the strength of opponents within 100 miles of Storrs.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
In past years, I remember the committee looking at UConn's non-conference SOS and giving it leeway because there just aren't any good teams -- and only a small number of decent teams -- close enough to play weekday non-conference games against. Rutgers has the same problem we do. There is a lot we can do with our pre-conference weekend trips, but little we can do about the strength of opponents within 100 miles of Storrs.
Rutgers seems like a natural choice. It would help us both

Reaction Score

Rutgers seems like a natural choice. It would help us both

Chris Jones said during game broadcasts this season that UConn and Rutgers will be playing each other in the future. I think he said that next season they are currently scheduled to play a weekend series in Storrs.

Reaction Score
Chris Jones said during game broadcasts this season that UConn and Rutgers will be playing each other in the future. I think he said that next season they are currently scheduled to play a weekend series in Storrs.
One (minor) positive to the new BE set up is we only have 8 conference weekends so we have one or two extra for OOC matchups vs other conferences with more in conference weekends.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom