NCAA announces finalists for future Final 4's (2021-24) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NCAA announces finalists for future Final 4's (2021-24)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Last year's final 4 in Dallas was a sellout. I know Indy didnt.... not sure if New Orleans and Tampa did in recent years.
I think the arenas were rather full in New Orleans and Tampa. One of the issues in Indianapolis was that there was a major heavyweight and 3 surprise teams.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You're right, I should wait a couple more decades before complaining. Seattle did get the men's Final 4 in '84, '89 and '95 (before the King Dome went "boom"). And women's volleyball Final 4 in '13.

Apparently every men's West Regional HAS to be in the state of California, but Portland and Spokane get the next 3 women's West Regionals.

I'm actually stunned that Tacoma hosted. That was quite a few years ago, before I was following women's hoops closely. But Tacoma just doesn't really have the profile of a Final 4 city...

I remember watching those Final 4s..... I think Auburn was in the championship game both years. Up until the middle 1990s... some of the WCBB Final 4s were in smaller cities that wouldnt even get a sniff now. Lexington (KY), Knoxville, Richmond (va), Norfolk (va)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You're right, I should wait a couple more decades before complaining. Seattle did get the men's Final 4 in '84, '89 and '95 (before the King Dome went "boom"). And women's volleyball Final 4 in '13.

Apparently every men's West Regional HAS to be in the state of California, but Portland and Spokane get the next 3 women's West Regionals.

I'm actually stunned that Tacoma hosted. That was quite a few years ago, before I was following women's hoops closely. But Tacoma just doesn't really have the profile of a Final 4 city...

Actually I was wrong....Tacoma was 1988 and 1989. Knoxville was in 1990.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
some of the WCBB Final 4s were in smaller cities that wouldnt even get a sniff now

Yeah, I figured the fact that cities like Tacoma used to host shows evidence of how much the sport has grown over the decades.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Nobody wanted the women's Final Four in the late 80's. Tacoma got it two years in a row.

On-campus venues at Texas and Tennessee hosted a Final Four during that time, as well.

Reaction Score
Dallas, Houston AND San Antonio? Doesn't the committee realize Baylor always chokes and only makes it to the Elite 8? Plus, didn't Dallas struggle with attendance the last few times it has hosted Regionals or the Final Four? Something about Einstein and doing the same thing over expecting a different result...Bags-can you help me out here?
Thanks for the prodding, DefenseBB! Turns out we were all fooled: just a false attribution to Albert.
“The definition of insanity” is the most overused cliché of al...

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Last year's final 4 in Dallas was a sellout. I know Indy didnt.... not sure if New Orleans and Tampa did in recent years.
BTW-what the heck happened yesterday? You had a 40-21 lead in the 2Q and you lost in overtime? Just when I was coming to be a JPM supporter again..Made me very sad...Though on the bright side, Good 'Ole Sylvia might think she can stick around for a few more years to really drive what's left of the program firmly to the basement of the ACC...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
BTW-what the heck happened yesterday? You had a 40-21 lead in the 2Q and you lost in overtime? Just when I was coming to be a JPM supporter again..Made me very sad...Though on the bright side, Good 'Ole Sylvia might think she can stick around for a few more years to really drive what's left of the program firmly to the basement of the ACC...

I didnt get to watch the game.... and seeing the outcome.... I have no desire to watch the replay either. I did read that we had a 88% free throw shooter miss 4 straight free throws around the 1 minute mark in the 4th .... and a 85% FT shooter go 1-2 at the line with 9 seconds to go in the 4th Head bang Cant blame that on McCallie.

Reaction Score
I thoroughly enjoyed all the bars in Nashville :D
Nashville was awesome plus on the off days got to go to bars and watch the Uconn men make local Kentucky fans very unhappy.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Nothing east of Cleveland and nothing west of San Antonio. Hmm.

Did any cities in the Mountain or Pacific time zones put in a bid?

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Did any cities in the Mountain or Pacific time zones put in a bid?

That's the multi-thousand question! Costs money, long-planning, and some sort of negotiation around TV rights.

Reaction Score
I understand cities have to make bids for these games and that the women's FF isn't the same level as the men's in terms of exposure but I wish more mid sized cities would get some recognition. Columbus is a good site in my opinion because it's not one of the usual suspects but is a perfectly large city with a lot to offer teams and fans.

I don't think attendance has been much of an issue for the past few years. Most teams and fans just want the experience of being there. It's on my bucket list for sure.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Why not Las Vegas, we have the hotels and a brand new arena that seats 18,000.

Reaction Score
I'll put money on Indianapolis getting one of them.
I think when the NCAA got Money for their headquarters in Indianapolis from the state, Their agreement stated that major tournaments, unfortunately, would be there every 4 years.

Reaction Score
I think when the NCAA got Money for their headquarters in Indianapolis from the state, Their agreement stated that major tournaments, unfortunately, would be there every 4 years.
Why would the NCAA need money from the state to build their headquarters? Don't they make enough money?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Why not Las Vegas, we have the hotels and a brand new arena that seats 18,000.

I think there is an unwritten rule that the NCAA will never hold a major event in Las Vegas due to it being the capitol of sports betting. The betting will occur regardless of where the games are being played, but that's how the NCAA rolls.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
We had the Final Four here in Nashville the year after we moved here. I thought the City did a splendid job and the NCAA folks I talked to were delighted with Nashville's hospitality.

The City is adding thousands of new hotel rooms (prices are predicted to lower) and a lot more restaurants, bars, clubs, entertainment venues and attractions -- most within walking distance or a short bus ride or Uber hop from the Bridgestone Arena. Unless Vandy, MTSU or Belmont makes the Final Four there's no home advantage for any participating team.

I'm hoping that I can look forward to another Tourney Final in my hometown -- the last one was a gas!

My brothers and I attended both Nashville and Indianapolis and thoroughly enjoyed both cities. I wouldn't mind going back to either one.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Wherever they decide to host in the future, I really hope they will not schedule the Finals on Easter like they are doing this year.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Nashville was one of the cities that submitted bids for the 2017-2020 years, but wasn't chosen due to them only bidding for one specific year instead of all four. IIRC, it was for the 2019 date, because they already have commitments for the arena during the other years. Bidding for any of the four years is the way to go apparently.

It needs to come back to Nashville. We have the infrastructure to support the Final Four, and it's amazing how much the city, especially the downtown area, has changed since 2014. Be prepared however, because hotel prices are currently on par, and higher, than NYC.

I would expect Minneapolis, due to the Lynx popularity, to be awarded as well.
I'm planning on going to Nashville for the SEC WBBT. If I can't get a hotel downtown, what's the next best spot?

Reaction Score
I think there is an unwritten rule that the NCAA will never hold a major event in Las Vegas due to it being the capitol of sports betting. The betting will occur regardless of where the games are being played, but that's how the NCAA rolls.
Yeah I thought that was a rule. Several years ago NJ passed a sports gambling bill, and I think at the time Trenton was a site and they had to suddenly find a new city. I thought that new city was Bridgeport, and from that point on Bridgeport started being in the rotation of cities. Bridgeport or NYC are great locations. Both stops on Metro North.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
If thats the case that needs to be changed.
NHL doing great in Vegas and the Raiders will be there soon. I think Vegas hosts 4 conference championships in March 2 WBB and 2 MBB. Time for a change, IMO

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Yeah I thought that was a rule. Several years ago NJ passed a sports gambling bill, and I think at the time Trenton was a site and they had to suddenly find a new city. I thought that new city was Bridgeport, and from that point on Bridgeport started being in the rotation of cities. Bridgeport or NYC are great locations. Both stops on Metro North.

I seem to recall Portland wasn't able to host until Oregon changed its laws regarding sports gambling. Now they're regularly in the rotation for men's 1st/2nd round and Regionals for women.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I think Vegas hosts 4 conference championships in March 2 WBB and 2 MBB.

I think almost every conference in the western half of the country now holds their conference tourneys in Vegas. I know Pac 12 (men, not women), Mountain West and WCC do. Probably at least one more between Big Sky, Big West and WAC. The conferences can choose to do whatever they like, but when it's officially the NCAA itself choosing sites, Vegas is on the outs for now.

I had to look it up just because. Pac 12, Mountain West, WCC and WAC are all in Vegas. Big Sky is in Reno. Big West is the only one not in the state of Nevada, it's in Anaheim. For the men anyway.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom