NCAA announces finalists for future Final 4's (2021-24) | The Boneyard

NCAA announces finalists for future Final 4's (2021-24)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Cleveland, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Minneapolis, and Nashville

Part of the article:

INDIANAPOLIS — A blend of past and potential first-time host cities have been chosen as finalists to be considered as future hosts for the NCAA Women’s Final Four from 2021-2024.

The NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Committee identified eight cities that will be under consideration to host during the four-year period. Those cities include Cleveland, Dallas, Houston, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Missouri; Minneapolis, Nashville and San Antonio.

Cleveland, Dallas among Women’s Final Four finalist bid cities for 2021-24

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Doubt NYC has any interest in it. plus it would very expensive for the average WCBB fan.... in terms of hotels and stuff.
You're 100% right on the expensive part. Beyond hotels the venues themselves may price themselves out of contention, not to mention the price of simple logistics for the NCAA. But the thought of the NCAA championships here in Brooklyn would just make me silly crazy.

Reaction Score
Since the HoF is in Springfield MA, you'd think they'd find a way to have the tournament within driving distance, so that it could include a trip to it. Too bad Boston isn't big enough or have an actual arena.

Reaction Score
Doubt NYC has any interest in it. plus it would very expensive for the average WCBB fan.... in terms of hotels and stuff.
Not necessarily true considering the fans of one of the teams most likely to make it would only have a short drive or train ride in order to attend.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I'll put money on Indianapolis getting one of them.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
Nashville was one of the cities that submitted bids for the 2017-2020 years, but wasn't chosen due to them only bidding for one specific year instead of all four. IIRC, it was for the 2019 date, because they already have commitments for the arena during the other years. Bidding for any of the four years is the way to go apparently.

It needs to come back to Nashville. We have the infrastructure to support the Final Four, and it's amazing how much the city, especially the downtown area, has changed since 2014. Be prepared however, because hotel prices are currently on par, and higher, than NYC.

I would expect Minneapolis, due to the Lynx popularity, to be awarded as well.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I had heard that San Antonio was out of the running because their arena did meet the standards. Did something change? Was it the arena or standards?

I saw something somewhere about the arenas needing to be 18,000+ ... .... but I figure if an arena is fit for an NBA franchise.... its more than fit for a NCAA WCBB Final 4. Perhaps its location of the arena... kinda away from anything else (relatively speaking) could be a factor. I would think they would want an arena in a downtown or center city location.... where people can walk to the arena from hotels and have restaurants/bars nearby.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
We had the Final Four here in Nashville the year after we moved here. I thought the City did a splendid job and the NCAA folks I talked to were delighted with Nashville's hospitality.

The City is adding thousands of new hotel rooms (prices are predicted to lower) and a lot more restaurants, bars, clubs, entertainment venues and attractions -- most within walking distance or a short bus ride or Uber hop from the Bridgestone Arena. Unless Vandy, MTSU or Belmont makes the Final Four there's no home advantage for any participating team.

I'm hoping that I can look forward to another Tourney Final in my hometown -- the last one was a gas!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Looks like Texas is well represented. HEY! There's another half of the country over here! There's actually plenty of people, and some big cities w/ NBA arenas, and fans, and hotels and other amenities. I guess the NCAA doesn't realize this. It's like that in all sports though. Pretty irritating. Actually the NCAA is probably annoyed that they have to have West Regional games actually somewhere in the West. Such an inconvenience for them.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Looks like Texas is well represented. HEY! There's another half of the country over here! There's actually plenty of people, and some big cities w/ NBA arenas, and fans, and hotels and other amenities. I guess the NCAA doesn't realize this. It's like that in all sports though. Pretty irritating. Actually the NCAA is probably annoyed that they have to have West Regional games actually somewhere in the West. Such an inconvenience for them.

:rolleyes: :p

Hey.... yall had San Jose in 1999.... and Tacoma in 1989 and 1990.... Aint that enough? :D

Reaction Score
I'll put money on Indianapolis getting one of them.

Which is a shame because they failed to have a sell out in 2011 and 2016.

I am happy to see Minneapolis there. I always wondered why they never sought another hosting effort after hosting the legendary 1995 title game. With the fan support of the Lynx that should be a no brainer choice but who knows.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I thoroughly enjoyed all the bars in Nashville :D

which one are you? :p

the-bear-bar-will-bullas.jpg

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Not true. The Men's tournament was kept out of NYC for years due to the basketball scandal but they did recently make a return trip. The Liberty do ok for drawing and let's face it with UConn so close the arena will be sold out. I just don't buy "it's too expensive" if you are trying to showcase your product. Plus, at least in NYC, there's other things to do. Besides the Mall of America (or whatever it's called these days) what the heck can you do in Minneapolis? Have each fan that comes off the plane get stick with a string to go ice fishing??? :rolleyes:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Cleveland, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Minneapolis, and Nashville

Part of the article:

INDIANAPOLIS — A blend of past and potential first-time host cities have been chosen as finalists to be considered as future hosts for the NCAA Women’s Final Four from 2021-2024.

The NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Committee identified eight cities that will be under consideration to host during the four-year period. Those cities include Cleveland, Dallas, Houston, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Missouri; Minneapolis, Nashville and San Antonio.

Cleveland, Dallas among Women’s Final Four finalist bid cities for 2021-24
Dallas, Houston AND San Antonio? Doesn't the committee realize Baylor always chokes and only makes it to the Elite 8? Plus, didn't Dallas struggle with attendance the last few times it has hosted Regionals or the Final Four? Something about Einstein and doing the same thing over expecting a different result...Bags-can you help me out here?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Dallas, Houston AND San Antonio? Doesn't the committee realize Baylor always chokes and only makes it to the Elite 8? Plus, didn't Dallas struggle with attendance the last few times it has hosted Regionals or the Final Four? Something about Einstein and doing the same thing over expecting a different result...Bags-can you help me out here?

Last year's final 4 in Dallas was a sellout. I know Indy didnt.... not sure if New Orleans and Tampa did in recent years.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Glad to see Houston there (obviously). The city has plenty of experience hosting the Super Bowl, men's hoops Final Fours, regionals, etc. Would be great for the Toyota Center to host the women's Final Four.

Haven't looked at the schedule for cities hosting the men's Final Four in any of those years; but, obviously, no city would host both Final Fours the same year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
:rolleyes: :p

Hey.... yall had San Jose in 1999.... and Tacoma in 1989 and 1990.... Aint that enough? :D

You're right, I should wait a couple more decades before complaining. Seattle did get the men's Final 4 in '84, '89 and '95 (before the King Dome went "boom"). And women's volleyball Final 4 in '13.

Apparently every men's West Regional HAS to be in the state of California, but Portland and Spokane get the next 3 women's West Regionals.

I'm actually stunned that Tacoma hosted. That was quite a few years ago, before I was following women's hoops closely. But Tacoma just doesn't really have the profile of a Final 4 city...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Glad to see Houston there (obviously). The city has plenty of experience hosting the Super Bowl, men's hoops Final Fours, regionals, etc. Would be great for the Toyota Center to host the women's Final Four.

Haven't looked at the schedule for cities hosting the men's Final Four in any of those years; but, obviously, no city would host both Final Fours the same year.

2019 Minneapolis 2020 Atlanta 2021 Indy 2022 New Orleans.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom