NC State Game Cancelled | Page 5 | The Boneyard

NC State Game Cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Largest # of infected people in CT now are 20-29. Average age nationally for hospitalization is now 40. It was much higher in the Spring. But those 2 factors demonstrate that it is now hitting younger people and doing so in a serious way. Younger people have lower morbidity it is true but being on a ventilator is no picnic
Interesting. Has there been any change in the mortality rate.

CL82

Reaction Score
I'm quite happy working on my 1st Tito's and soda and watching a Chicago PD marathon on USA Network. Gotta adapt.
Seems a little bit early for that. Dude, you are going to get annihilated.

BParkDog

I will see number 5.
Reaction Score
Largest # of infected people in CT now are 20-29. Average age nationally for hospitalization is now 40. It was much higher in the Spring. But those 2 factors demonstrate that it is now hitting younger people and doing so in a serious way. Younger people have lower morbidity it is true but being on a ventilator is no picnic
"Infected people" is not the concern. I know 15 people who have had Covid-19, and all 15 had a few days of symptoms and then got better. Included in that group were an 85 year old and a 68 year old.

Further, "infected people" is the wrong measure. Any positive test will get you labelled as "infected," but that does not discriminate among asymptomatic, mildly symptomatic, and the seriously ill.

The measures that matter the most are: hospitalized/dying. That's where we need to focus our attention, energy, and resources.

It is accurate to say that "younger people have lower morbidity," but, if you look at the Dec. 2 CDC numbers, it is much more exact to say, "people under 18 have virtually zero chance of dying (127 deaths out of about 72 million people)." Further, it is more exact to say that young, healthy individuals have almost no risk of dying.

Another example: in the 15 to 24 year range, there have been 439 deaths associated with Covid-19 according to the CDC, as of December 2. There are about 42 million people in that range. Of the 439, many, if not most, had co-morbidities.

In the 24 and under age range, there have been under about 500 deaths in a population of 100,000,000, many, if not most, of which involved co-morbidities. That's 100 million people. 500 deaths. 100 million. 500.

Not saying that to conclude that we shouldn't be doing anything. Just saying that to make clear that this is disease that doesn't kill healthy young people at a rate that would even be noticed if not for the impact on the infirm with co-morbidities.

Those are all CDC numbers.

BParkDog

I will see number 5.
Reaction Score
Interesting. Has there been any change in the mortality rate.
I'll look for the data, but mortality rates for the infected have improved - we have gotten better at treating the disease, and, unfortunately, the most vulnerable are more likely to have died earlier in the pandemic.

Regarding risk, according to the CDC's Dec. 2 numbers, there are over 41 million Americans in the 35-44 range. There have been 4,771 deaths associated with Covid-19, many of which, if not most, had co-morbidities.

Reaction Score
"Infected people" is not the concern. I know 15 people who have had Covid-19, and all 15 had a few days of symptoms and then got better. Included in that group were an 85 year old and a 68 year old.

Further, "infected people" is the wrong measure. Any positive test will get you labelled as "infected," but that does not discriminate among asymptomatic, mildly symptomatic, and the seriously ill.

The measures that matter the most are: hospitalized/dying. That's where we need to focus our attention, energy, and resources.

It is accurate to say that "younger people have lower morbidity," but, if you look at the Dec. 2 CDC numbers, it is much more exact to say, "people under 18 have virtually zero chance of dying (127 deaths out of about 72 million people)." Further, it is more exact to say that young, healthy individuals have almost no risk of dying.

Another example: in the 15 to 24 year range, there have been 439 deaths associated with Covid-19 according to the CDC, as of December 2. There are about 42 million people in that range. Of the 439, many, if not most, had co-morbidities.

In the 24 and under age range, there have been under about 500 deaths in a population of 100,000,000, many, if not most, of which involved co-morbidities. That's 100 million people. 500 deaths. 100 million. 500.

Not saying that to conclude that we shouldn't be doing anything. Just saying that to make clear that this is disease that doesn't kill healthy young people at a rate that would even be noticed if not for the impact on the infirm with co-morbidities.

great that u knew 15 people infected and all mild. I had a Freind, 51 years old and no medical conditions in the icu for 4 days.

Cousin who had it was knocked out for like 14 days. You just don’t know.

CL82

Reaction Score
This is incorrect.
Check out this CDC website: COVID-19 Hospitalizations (cdc.gov)

CDC top graph clearly shows about HALF of all hospitalizations are, currently, over 65, and another quarter are over 50, meanly that, currently, about 75% of all hospitalizations for Covid-19 are over 50.
@CL82 @brasssbonanzaa@husky429 @Kathy
Nice link, thanks for posting it. I can't get the graphics to display properly. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.

BParkDog

I will see number 5.
Reaction Score
Nice link, thanks for posting it. I can't get the graphics to display properly. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.
Use the "enlarge" button on the top left graph. It is a button displaying a square shape. That will enlarge the top left graph so it is viewable. Can't expect much for webpage development - it's a govt. website, lol.

Also, there is a nice graph to the right showing that 90% of adults with Covid-19 requiring hospitalization have other serious conditions (obesity, renal, et cetera).

Reaction Score
If you want to follow the science than lockdown people over 40. And let everyone else go about their business.

Who needs coaches?

Reaction Score

Yeah but that totally misses the point that they can spread it to people who are older and can die from it. Also, nobody knows about the long term impacts as they have already noticed heart issues even in young ones who have had it.

Reaction Score
If you want to follow the science than lockdown people over 40. And let everyone else go about their business.

Who needs coaches?
Or most of the staff. Just let the players play pick-up games with no referees. That would be a great way to play it. LOL! College basketball and all these sports can wait until next year to return to normal. Not sure why fans have to be so selfish because they don't think the younger players will be impacted by it. This is a serious situation America is in and we hav to stay strong until we can take the vaccines. A few more months of staying home and wearing a mask if you do and avoiding big groups it not much a sacrifice if it can save even a few of the people that will die in the following months.

Reaction Score
Yeah but that totally misses the point that they can spread it to people who are older and can die from it. Also, nobody knows about the long term impacts as they have already noticed heart issues even in young ones who have had it.
This. A lot of what is being done is so the hospital system doesn't get overwhelmed. Unfortunately, this is starting to happen in some parts of the country. The U.S. Has Passed the Hospital Breaking Point

Showing up to a overwhelmed hospital in an emergency and unable to get help affects all age groups.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
If this picture doesn't make people realize that wearing a mask and staying in small groups is the least we should be doing then I don't know what will. The men and women of The Greatest Generation must be ashamed of all of us for not learning from them what true sacrifice is.

1607219447807.png

Reaction Score
Has contact tracing identified anyone getting Covid from actually playing basketball? Has one team’s infection been traced to another as a result of a game? For that matter, has one football or baseball team infected another team during a game per contract tracing?

To my understanding there hasn't been a documented case of transmission occurring during competition on the professional or collegiate level thus far. In soccer, some players on Salzburg tested positive after playing Maccabi Tel Aviv, which was dealing with its own outbreak, but I don't think they ever determined whether or not they got it from Maccabi Tel Aviv or another form of transmission.

College basketball, the NBA, and NHL this season will be a big test because they're obviously played indoors and the latter two were in a bubble the last time they played. I was wondering if the NCAA was going to do things like have the players stay off the line during the first free throw attempt to lessen the chances of being within 2 meters of each other for >15 minutes over the course of a 2 hour game. But that probably ultimately wouldn't make that much of a difference.

Reaction Score
Basketball needs to have similar protocols to football or vice-versa. Applying one set of standards for football, but a different one for basketball is ridiculous and dangerous. College football is copying the European soccer league standards regarding COVID. Basketball needs to follow immediately or there cannot be a basketball season like this.

You cannot allow selfish behavior to run rampant in one sport, but encourage complete complicity and sacrifice in another. Everyone has to play by the same rules of the game. Right now the rich(football) is being allowed to operate under a different set of rules/conditions than basketball and other sports(the poor).

The NCAA wants to have college basketball, but teams are encouraged and allowed to cancel games anytime due to 1 positive test. Its chaotic, stupid, and politically motivated and makes no sense to allow this type of behavior.

PS: Mark Emmert the definition of hypocrisy and corruption at its finest.

Reaction Score
Gary Parrish of CBSSports.com says, "And please shove all survival-rate comments."

Far as statements go, that's the correct tone. Shortened up, it acknowledges that calling this game off stinks but that it was the right thing to do. And, undeniably, it was. Anybody arguing otherwise, 10 months into a pandemic that's already killed at least 278,000 Americans, and with hospitalizations up 12.8% over the past week, and deaths up 35.0% over the past week, is too boneheaded to even acknowledge.

And please shove all survival-rate comments.

Everybody involved in the decision to call this game off understands the survival rate connected to COVID-19, especially the survival rate for young and strong Division I athletes. Whichever player tested positive will almost certainly be fine and back on the court later this month -- but that's not the point. The point is that nobody wants a basketball game to turn into a super-spreader event. And, besides that, the people who quote survival rates like there's some pass-fail bar connected to this virus still just do not get it.

There's a lot of stuff between living and dying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom