NBE | The Boneyard

NBE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kind of surprising all the NBE love by the committee. Every time we hear about top 50 wins. Yet all these teams beat up on eachother. Literally all of Nova's top 50 wins besides VCU come inside the NBE. We saw how that conference performed in the tourney last year.

Is there a single pro in that league? Maybe Dunn? Seems like a lot of smoke and mirrors.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
NCAA still holds a soft spot for the name Big East and some of names still there - Nova, Gtown, St Johns
The NBE is not a P5 but in a way the NCAA is considering them in that category when it comes to hoops. Plus they don't want to piss off all the non P5s. This way they can say they are fair to non P5s - it's a complete joke

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Kind of surprising all the NBE love by the committee. Every time we hear about top 50 wins. Yet all these teams beat up on eachother. Literally all of Nova's top 50 wins besides VCU come inside the NBE. We saw how that conference performed in the tourney last year.

Is there a single pro in that league? Maybe Dunn? Seems like a lot of smoke and mirrors.

The SEC got 3 teams in the dance that had no business being there, and you are complaining about the Big East?

Reaction Score
PC gets the winner of Dayton/Boise in Columbus, OH.

SJU just suspended Obekpa for 2 weeks.

Reaction Score
This seems to counter the thought process that many people on this board has been exhibiting. People keep saying "smoke and mirrors" and "living off of the name" but when push came to shove, they got six teams into the tournament.

60% of their league got into the tournament, and that speaks volumes. Anyone saying that the AAC>NBE clearly doesn't get it. All that matters is what the tournament committee thinks, and no one else.

caw

Reaction Score
This seems to counter the thought process that many people on this board has been exhibiting. People keep saying "smoke and mirrors" and "living off of the name" but when push came to shove, they got six teams into the tournament.

60% of their league got into the tournament, and that speaks volumes. Anyone saying that the AAC>NBE clearly doesn't get it. All that matters is what the tournament committee thinks, and no one else.

Yes, well unless you have a trophy sitting in your display case saying, " you committee, we weren't a 7 seed!"

Reaction Score
BE had an AD on the committee. SEC. and PAC 12 , Big 12 had AD's and their conf. did well.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score

Ohhhhhhh.....You mean the same committee who thought we were a 7th seed last year? F the committee

Reaction Score

isn't that supposed to be enough? is there a double standard here? i see it happen at other major conferences and it happens a lot in College football also. A top 50 win is a top 50 win no matter whether is within the conference or not. The Big East won a heck lot of games against other major conferences with winning records against ACC, A-10, B10, Pac-12. I don't see the problem here.

The old Big East used to be the king of scheduling cup cakes to boost RPI and then knocking each other out to have a lot top 50 wins.

Its amazing how a non-major conference fan base is supporting power-5 bias and trying to screw up the Big East when they are in a similar boat than ours.

We should be fighting against the top who are consolidating the wealth and power... not fighting between each other

Reaction Score

Even on good years it wasn't that easy for the old big East to get more than 60% of its teams in (I think it happened a couple of times). Everyone can judge the NBE and say they suck... but they are scheduling tough and are winning games. they are playing by the rules and boosting RPIs. We should try doing the same and see how far we go.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Even on good years it wasn't that easy for the old big East to get more than 60% of its teams in (I think it happened a couple of times). Everyone can judge the NBE and say they suck... but they are scheduling tough and are winning games. they are playing by the rules and boosting RPIs. We should try doing the same and see how far we go.
Who is this "we" you keep mentioning?

Reaction Score
Who is this "we" you keep mentioning?

Those that (1) care about Connecticut athletics (in this case Men's basketball) and want it to thrive (2) care about our precarious conference affiliation and would like the American Athletic Conference to succeed as a sports league (3) administrators directly involved in the decision making of the future of the AAC and Connecticut men's basketball

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Those that (1) care about Connecticut athletics (in this case Men's basketball) and want it to thrive (2) care about our precarious conference affiliation and would like the American Athletic Conference to succeed as a sports league (3) administrators directly involved in the decision making of the future of the AAC and Connecticut men's basketball

We've always scheduled tougher than the NBE daisies.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
So not NBE fanboys?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
It's funny, I thought he was a Stony Brook fanboy but he hasn't made a single mention this week that I've seen about how his team's season ended on a buzzer beater Saturday morning. You'd think someone whose school was so close to dancing would take more of an interest.

Reaction Score
We've always scheduled tougher than the NBE daisies.

It doesn't seem like that was the case now because our league (and to a certain extent our team also) got screwed over... and I'm talking more collectively than Connecticut alone. The impact is far greater when all the schools schedule tough and win some of the games than Connecticut alone scheduling tough and everyone else scheduling cup cakes. Obviously, some of it is outside Connecticut's control. But a collective effort has to be placed on scheduling tougher opponents while at the same time recruiting higher caliber players (which is easier said than done for most of these schools with non-basketball traditions). the NBE stepped up their game this year scheduling tough because they understood that the "brand" alone is running out of gas and that they actually need to win some tough games. They gambled, took the risk, and for the most part won with 6/10 bids, a higher percentage of bid than all other major conferences except for the Big 12.

Its going to take time to find out if the AAC can compete with the Big boys. Unfortunately, with the speed the college landscape is moving and the consolidation of wealth at the top I understand how hard is to compete. But for a school that has carried a conference before, I don't see how it can do it all over again

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's funny, I thought he was a Stony Brook fanboy but he hasn't made a single mention this week that I've seen about how his team's season ended on a buzzer beater Saturday morning. You'd think someone whose school was so close to dancing would take more of an interest.

I don't want to talk about it. It took me 24+ hours to get back to the fan board life. Why are you trying to bring that up? I'm hurt enough. We failed yet again and came out in absolutely every news portal to make it even more embarrassing. Even SCtop10... Thanks though

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The BE had a very good OOC season so the rankings up and down the league were very high once the conference season began. Problem was most of those good wins were against teams didn't pan out. The RPI doesn't account for that too well. If your conference wins a lot of OOC games, the quality of the opponent matters less.

Opposite: See the AAC, which took some brutal losses. We didn't exactly light it up either. Outside of Duke, we didn't play any top 25 teams, and beat few top 100's in the OOC. Our best win was Dayton.

Yes, we are better than about 10 of the at large teams, but our resume stunk. Next time win some of those games by playing better for 40 minutes.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The BE had a very good OOC season so the rankings up and down the league were very high once the conference season began. Problem was most of those good wins were against teams didn't pan out. The RPI doesn't account for that too well. If your conference wins a lot of OOC games, the quality of the opponent matters less.

Opposite: See the AAC, which took some brutal losses. We didn't exactly light it up either. Outside of Duke, we didn't play any top 25 teams, and beat few top 100's in the OOC. Our best win was Dayton.

Yes, we are better than about 10 of the at large teams, but our resume stunk. Next time win some of those games by playing better for 40 minutes.

You are half correct. Saying we should have won games is accurate.

But we played Duke, Texas, Florida, and Stanford and signed up for a tournament in which playing Dayton, and West Virginia were possibilities and did, in fact, play both of them.

We scheduled OOC well, but excepting Florida, we just didn't win those games. Bad on us. Those teams are all perrenial tournament teams, though. It's not our fault most of them didn't meet their expectations, either.

Reaction Score
I look forward to overrated Villanova having another disappointing March at least. Too bad it won't be at our hands this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom