NBE should stay at 10 teams and go to a 9 game football schedule | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NBE should stay at 10 teams and go to a 9 game football schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Remember when this board was arguing over scheduling a potential 6-10 game series with ND, and half thought it was beneath us to play our home games at The Meadowlands or the Razor? Now some are recommending (with straight faces I'm assuming) UMass as the 12th addition to the conference to help us sell out home games.

No to anyone else joining this league (until we exit of course). When you hit rock bottom, you stop digging.

Reaction Score
assuming Navy doesnt come, we could use UMass to help attendance. there is not a single team on our conference schedule that is a likely sellout most years. UMass as a conference rival will probably sell out.

UMASS is head and shoulders better than Tulsa, that is for sure. They would be a significant improvement to the basketball conference because they would be a conference rival, our only conference rival.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think an 8 game conference schedule with this goat rodeo is enough. We should have 8 conference games, 3 against majors, and 1 FCS to get at least 6 home games. Our mid major games are Tulane, Memphis and Temple, we need some heft on the schedule.

Reaction Score
We should have 8 conference games, 3 against majors, and 1 FCS to get at least 6 home games. Our mid major games are Tulane, Memphis and Temple, we need some heft on the schedule.

The problem is there is no way Warde is going to be able schedule "3 majors" per year. He seems to have a hard time scheduling one.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
UMASS is head and shoulders better than Tulsa, that is for sure. They would be a significant improvement to the basketball conference because they would be a conference rival, our only conference rival.

Define significant improvement? Not making the NCAAT in 15 seasons?

Not to mention they just had talks of voting to disband the FBS program they just started last season.

UMass would be no more a 'rival' than the boring FCS games vs. URI and Maine of years past.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
The problem is there is no way Warde is going to be able schedule "3 majors" per year. He seems to have a hard time scheduling one.

This is an argument for firing Warde, not scheduling three good out of conference games. We should still be able to do by leveraging bball while we are still relevant.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Define significant improvement? Not making the NCAAT in 15 seasons?

Not to mention they just had talks of voting to disband the FBS program they just started last season.

UMass would be no more a 'rival' than the boring FCS games vs. URI and Maine of years past.

His reference was to their basketball program - there's no question that they're better than Tulsa in hoops. Tulsa has had some decent records over the past half-decade, but they get there by going about .500 in conference and playing the weakest out of conference schedule possible.

UMass is no world-beater, but they're certainly a step up from Tulsa and easily the caliber of some of the crap we partner with now...Providence, etc.

Obviously, though, Tulsa is far, far better as a football program.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
His reference was to their basketball program - there's no question that they're better than Tulsa in hoops. Tulsa has had some decent records over the past half-decade, but they get there by going about .500 in conference and playing the weakest out of conference schedule possible.

UMass is no world-beater, but they're certainly a step up from Tulsa and easily the caliber of some of the crap we partner with now...Providence, etc.

Obviously, though, Tulsa is far, far better as a football program.

I should have qualified my post and said I don't want either of these programs.

I also disagree that UMass is even on the same level of Providence or Seton Hall. Just look at the lack of success for the 3 programs and then take into account UMass was doing that in theA10.

Reaction Score
Umass is not awful but if and when LaSalle makes the NCAA tourney this year only two other teams from the A-10 - Fordham and Duquesne - will have gone longer since making their last appearance in March Madness. That is pretty bad. You name another school in that league - St. Joe's, St. Bonnies, URI, GW, etc all have had at least once appearance since Umass was last seen there. So, no, we should not take Umass, Tulsa or anyone else. More mouths to feed will just lessen the already meager $$ we get and will not bring any extra $$ to the contract. No thanks.

Reaction Score
I also disagree that UMass is even on the same level of Providence or Seton Hall. Just look at the lack of success for the 3 programs and then take into account UMass was doing that in theA10.

Maybe you should take into account that UMASS has the recruiting handicap of being in the A10. Providence and Seton Hall have been able to tell recruits they would be competing in the best basketball conference in the country and in spite of that they have been awful for most of the last 15 years.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I'd take Charlotte over either of them, Charlotte is upgrading their stadium and football to Div I. Basketball is getting on track again after cleaning house.

NCAA appearnces 1988, 1992, 1995, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005

Tulane, USF, UCF, Houston, SMU, Tulsa (South)
Charlotte, ECU, Memphis, Temple, UConn, Cincy (North)

Navy will reject the NNNBE. UMass will implode over funding

Yes, 3 Yankee teams.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't care who they add.

They can't add anyone who will make it much better and they can't add anyone who can make it much worse. I'm going to laugh at anyone who worries that adding teams will cut the revenue.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'm going to laugh at anyone who worries that adding teams will cut the revenue.
So then explain how splitting our new tv deal with 10 teams would be the same then splitting it with 12 teams?? The new deal is done so they sure as heck won't be reworking it if we add Tulsa/UMass/etc....

Reaction Score
Seriously? It just doesn't matter. Two million vs 1.5 million. Neither amount is making or breaking your program. Not that IM claiming those numbers are accurate but there is,no sense worrying about what teams add or dilute value. The contract is,done. Aresco accomplished jack with his experience and contacts.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don't care who they add.

They can't add anyone who will make it much better and they can't add anyone who can make it much worse. I'm going to laugh at anyone who worries that adding teams will cut the revenue.

I get that the incremental revenue that will be will be minimal, say a few hundred thousands, but that is an offensive coordinator right there. I realize that if we don't get out of the NBE, irrevocable harm will be done to the program, but for the next few years at least why make the situation worse?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They won't add anyone unless the rake is the same per team. They have their deal, no one is going to give money up to add Tulsa or UMass. Nothing to sweat.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I get that the incremental revenue that will be will be minimal, say a few hundred thousands, but that is an offensive coordinator right there. I realize that if we don't get out of the NBE, irrevocable harm will be done to the program, but for the next few years at least why make the situation worse?

Revenue is fine for the next number of years - likely a good bit higher than it has been.

Reaction Score
Revenue is fine for the next number of years - likely a good bit higher than it has been.

Yep, they have to figure out how to cut up a pie of over $130 million at this point. $68m in NCAA credits between all the teams (new and old Catholics) and $70+m between the chosen few in exit fees.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
They won't add anyone unless the rake is the same per team. They have their deal, no one is going to give money up to add Tulsa or UMass. Nothing to sweat.

What is the basis of your fiduciary trust in Aresco? In his world C7 + L'Ville + UConn is worth 1/3 the C7.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What is the basis of your fiduciary trust in Aresco? In his world C7 + L'Ville + UConn is worth 1/3 the C7.

Aresco doesn't pick the teams, the schools vote you know.

Reaction Score
Yep, they have to figure out how to cut up a pie of over $130 million at this point. $68m in NCAA credits between all the teams (new and old Catholics) and $70+m between the chosen few in exit fees.
That 70 million is split up between UCONN/Cincy/SF right? Also, what happens if the C7 leave early? Would they pay an exit fee?

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Well I still haven't seen who voted in Tulane, have you? Aresco has created a little network of beggars in this conference who will vote with him - we already know Orlando, Memphis and NOLA are on speed dial and the rest of the conference has probably given up at this point. For all we know he got a few bucks out of the Tulana add which would be the first reasonable explanation of that train-wreck.

Reaction Score
Aresco doesn't pick the teams, the schools vote you know.

Then who picks or suggests the school to vote on? Do the schools in a conference call Aresco and say "hey, so we were thinking that Tulane is a great option for this conference. We vote yes as a group. Go inform them that they are in the Big East. Hurry, before the SEC adds them...."

Reaction Score
That 70 million is split up between UCONN/Cincy/SF right? Also, what happens if the C7 leave early? Would they pay an exit fee?

I don't think anyone knows. Lawyers are probably involved. And no, the Catholics don't pay an exit fee, unless they leave early, I guess. But there are so many assets to split up, and potential lawsuits, that they will probably cut a deal.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Then who picks or suggests the school to vote on? Do the schools in a conference call Aresco and say "hey, so we were thinking that Tulane is a great option for this conference. We vote yes as a group. Go inform them that they are in the Big East. Hurry, before the SEC adds them...."

I haven't seen how it happened either but we all know that the membership votes. Who votes on what is murky, but some subset of schools granted Tulane admission.

Maybe they bought into MARKETS. Maybe Aresco convinced them of something. But unless he's be granted a lordship over the league we are unaware of there was some procedure that allowed Tulane in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom