NBA stars who surpassed expectations (based on CBB career) | The Boneyard

NBA stars who surpassed expectations (based on CBB career)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Watching Playoffs last night I found myself contemplating Jimmy Butler. He's one of the biggest NBA stars of this century but based on his time at Marquette I wouldn't have predicted this level of greatness. Once homeless, ignored by D1 schools, not higher than a 2 star recruit. He had some big shots against us, avgd low-mid teens ppg as an upper classman and was 2nd or 3rd team big east but it never seemed as if he reached a level of dominance (over 4 years ) that would've led to this.

With the draft coming up, what players, over history, exceeded your expectations as a pro compared to their college careers?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ray Allen, Steph, Klay, Brunson… congrats to the players who keep on grinding as a pro.

Reaction Score
Brunson was a late 2nd round pick, so yes.

But Ray, Steph & Klay went #5, #7 and #11. So they were really expected to produce in the NBA.
Give all those credit. No one would have said Ray would have been in the all time greatest shooter discussion along with Klay. No one would have said Curry is in discussion as top PG ever either, he barely made a second contract w the Warriors. Just bc your starting point is not low doesn’t mean you can’t exceed expectations.

Reaction Score
Jimmy Butler is a great one. I remember his first year at Marquette playing against us and he was just a garbage guy on their really good team with Matthews, Dominic James, Lazar Hayward, and McNeal. Never in a million years would I have thought that guy would have a borderline HOF career.

Steph Curry was obviously a high draft pick and a pretty big name at Davidson. But did you see him completely revolutionizing the NBA? He's had as big of an impact on the NBA as any player ever. Now everyone shoots 3's from ungodly distance, the ball handling, the stretch 4's and 5's. He's one of the major reasons the league is (like it or not) what it is today. On that level you could say that his impact was so vast that he's actually ruined the NBA in some ways. Guys Zach Edey or Luka Garza are pretty much irrelevant now as compared to being top 5 picks in the past.

Reaction Score
Jimmy Butler is a great one. I remember his first year at Marquette playing against us and he was just a garbage guy on their really good team with Matthews, Dominic James, Lazar Hayward, and McNeal. Never in a million years would I have thought that guy would have a borderline HOF career.

Steph Curry was obviously a high draft pick and a pretty big name at Davidson. But did you see him completely revolutionizing the NBA? He's had as big of an impact on the NBA as any player ever. Now everyone shoots 3's from ungodly distance, the ball handling, the stretch 4's and 5's. He's one of the major reasons the league is (like it or not) what it is today. On that level you could say that his impact was so vast that he's actually ruined the NBA in some ways. Guys Zach Edey or Luka Garza are pretty much irrelevant now as compared to being top 5 picks in the past.
I forgot matthews and Hayward were on that team too. Looking back, that's a nasty squad .
I remember Curry causing some chatter in the tourney but not enough to warrant what he did in his career. You're right. If anyone can be credited with transforming the sport, him, wilt and Kareem are up there. Steph is the Tiger of bball.
Also, welcome back to being a full time BYer

Reaction Score
Pippen played for an NAIA school and may have not been on scholarship in the beginning. He was drafted 5th though, so the NBA definitely knew about him.
That's a great one though. Draft number doesn't really matter in this argument I don't think, as some of those guys were all drafted on upside and body type. Not even the NBA scouts could've predicted Scotties success based on his college performance.

Reaction Score
That's a great one though. Draft number doesn't really matter in this argument I don't think, as some of those guys were all drafted on upside and body type. Not even the NBA scouts could've predicted Scotties success based on his college performance.
I am impressed that they even knew about him back then. I'm sure he wasn't on television.

Reaction Score
Good question, many different categories for this but keeping it positive and to college hoops & current players:

Hyped yet still better than my expectations (lived up to or exceeded what seemed like undeserved hype): Donovan Mitchell, Tyler Hero, Darius Garland, Jaren Jackson Jr

Reaction Score
Good question, many different categories for this but keeping it positive and to college hoops & current players:

Hyped yet still better than my expectations (lived up to or exceeded what seemed like undeserved hype): Donovan Mitchell, Tyler Hero, Darius Garland, Jaren Jackson Jr
Donovan Mitchell is a fun one. He went to HS in my home town (Greenwich) but he wasn't much of a talking point locally. He made a big leap sophomore year at Louisville and probably would've been a star if he stayed 3 years but nothing can account for the immediate leap he made in the NBA. That style game was and still is made for his talents. I can't remember anyone making that big of an immediate jump

Reaction Score
Keldon Johnson.

Maybe it's due to overexposure of Kentucky freshmen leaving for the NBA early, but I took his exit after his freshman year with a grain of salt.

A 29th overall pick with SAS, Johnson was a stud this season after averaging 22p, 5r, 3a. Only 23 years old.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Lillard. He was drafted reasonably high, but he was fairly off the radar coming from Weber St. I don't think there was any reason to expect he would have the NBA career that he has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom