NBA Rules | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NBA Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thanks for clarifying. Now can you please explain to me what traveling in the NBA entails?

Sure, here you go. Call me with questions. This whole "college basketball is real basketball" is the dumbest ever.

Section XIV-Traveling
a. A player who receives the ball while standing still may pivot, using either foot as the pivot foot.
b. A player who receives the ball while he is progressing or upon completion of a dribble, may use a two-count rhythm in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball.
The first count occurs:
(1) As he receives the ball, if either foot is touching the floor at the time he receives it.
(2) As the foot touches the floor, or as both feet touch the floor simultane- ously after he receives the ball, if both feet are off the floor when he receives it.
The second occurs:
(1) After the count of one when either foot touches the floor, or both feet touch the floor simultaneously.
c. A player who comes to a stop on the count of one may pivot, using either foot as the pivot foot.
d. A player who comes to a stop on the count of two, with one foot in advance of the other, may pivot using only the rear foot as the pivot foot.
e. A player who comes to a stop on the count of two, with neither foot in advance of the other, may use either foot as the pivot foot.
f. In starting a dribble after (1) receiving the ball while standing still, or (2) coming to a legal stop, the ball must be out of the player's hand before the pivot foot is raised off the floor.
g. If a player, with the ball in his possession, raises his pivot foot off the floor, he must pass or shoot before his pivot foot returns to the floor. If he drops the ball while in the air, he may not be the first to touch the ball.
h. A player who falls to the floor while holding the ball, or while coming to a stop, may not gain an advantage by sliding.
i. A player who attempts a field goal may not be the first to touch the ball if it fails to touch the backboard, basket ring or another player.
PENALTY: Loss of ball. The ball is awarded to the opposing team at the sideline, nearest spot of the violation but no nearer the baseline than the foul line extended.

Reaction Score
a lot of the traveling complaints are when guys like harden or lebron take full advantage of taking a step immediately before they gain control and pick up their dribble before taking two more. kemba did this ALL THE TIME at uconn

Reaction Score

The first thing that comes to my mind when seeing a team advancing the ball, the Derek Fisher shot with 0.4 left in the game. Its always been a part of the game, college is a different game. I like the rules the way they are.

Reaction Score
You can make the argument it's unfair to a team to have go the whole length of the court with, lets say under 3 seconds to go. If a team scores with a couple seconds left it effectively ends the game prematurely. It's a horrible argument but hey, you can make it.

Reaction Score
Lamb also traveled on his breakaway dunk against SD State (after his steal and hit ahead to Napier, who gave it back to him). Officials ignored it. Thankfully.

Reaction Score
only on the boneyard could a game like that that had everyone buzzing result in a "the NBA sucks" thread
No idiot. It's a "that rule sucks" thread. Which it does. The game was great. The rule is idiotic.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The stupid rules pre exist anyone making money on commercials. So let's not pretend that's the reason.

Reaction Score
The advancing rule makes the end of games more exciting and prevents the game from dragging out.

It prevents fouling in the back court which is a positive. You can't send someone to the line as easily to prevent the other team from shooting a 3. You can still do this once the ball is advanced, but its harder.

I'd prefer a more exciting end-of-game scenario.

Comparing it to football makes you sound like an idiot. It takes 3 seconds to advance the ball to the other half if there's a clean inbound pass.

You sound like another anti-heat or anti-Lebron cry baby by complaining about a rule NOW that has been in effect for as long as I remember the NBA.

No moron. In both scenarios the ball is advanced with no time passing simply by calling a timeout. I am not "crying" because the Heat won. I have said it for years that the rule is idiotic and I am simply restating that. There is no other call like it in any sport. If you call a timeout at any other time, then you don't advance the ball. So please enlighten me since you are so wise and give me one good basketball related argument as to why it makes sense.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
No moron. In both scenarios the ball is advanced with no time passing simply by calling a timeout. I am not "crying" because the Heat won. I have said it for years that the rule is idiotic and I am simply restating that. There is no other call like it in any sport. If you call a timeout at any other time, then you don't advance the ball. So please enlighten me since you are so wise and give me one good basketball related argument as to why it makes sense.

As I said in my other post, it provides a more exciting end-of-game scenario. The long NBA season gets boring. The advancing rule provides more drama and buzzer-beaters are anything but boring.

Whether it makes sense or not doesn't matter.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Sports is theater and the rule creates drama. NBA is still the superior product to college at the end of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Sports is theater and the rule creates drama. NBA is still the superior product to college at the end of the day.

Couldn't disagree more with you.......I can hardly watch the NBA (besides the playoffs) conversely, I could watch college any time......the college game is way better as a spectator than NBA ......anyday of the week

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Couldn't disagree more with you.......I can hardly watch the NBA (besides the playoffs) conversely, I could watch college any time......the college game is way better as a spectator than NBA ......anyday of the week

Only time I can watch college basketball is when UCONN plays. I can skip all the blown layups and average at best overall talent.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Only time I can watch college basketball is when UCONN plays. I can skip all the blown layups and average at best overall talent.

Ya I hear ya,
The only time I can watch the NBA is during the 4th quarter of a playoff game. I can skip the free lanes to the rim, the over abundance of rules, and general tediousness of the NBA

Reaction Score
Ya I hear ya,
The only time I can watch the NBA is during the 4th quarter of a playoff game. I can skip the free lanes to the rim, the over abundance of rules, and general tediousness of the NBA

The one thing I dont like is the pace of the NBA games near the end, I get teams need to call timeouts and officials need to review plays to make sure they get the call right, but it shouldnt take 1-2 minutes to make a call and then another minute to hand the ball off to a player on an inbounds play. Jeff Vangundy was right on when he was mentioning how ridiculous it was for the officials to review an obvious play. The NHL does it right the officials just make the call and then boom play on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom