NBA Rules | The Boneyard

NBA Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Completely insane that you call timeout and get the ball well past half court. In college and with real rules, Miami is done. Indiana gets fouled and makes their free throws. Miami calls timeout and gets to advance the ball 70 feet?! It's completely insane. I've been saying it for years. Do NFL coaches call timeout and magically get to advance the ball 80 yards? It makes no sense

Reaction Score
I've always hated that rule, but it has been there forever and for one reason: teams call a lot of timeouts in the last minute of close games, which means a lot of advertisers get some prime time ad space to buy.

Reaction Score
I've always hated that rule, but it has been there forever and for one reason: teams call a lot of timeouts in the last minute of close games, which means a lot of advertisers get some prime time ad space to buy.

I get its there for ads and also to create a lot of buzzer beaters. But it is so dumb. Imagine an NFL team scores a td with 5 seconds to go, kicks off and pins the team on the 2 yard line. And they magically get it on the other teams 20. That would never happen!! Because its completely insane. The heat got beat. And yet they win.

Reaction Score
That's been the rule since I've been watching basketball, if you want to be mad be mad at the refs and Frank Vogel.

Reaction Score
Used to be at half court at least, to get it that far down is unbelievable........I agree. But it's the NBA, what can you say. It's also a league where their star is complaining about a tap in the head on a drive to hoop in which he extended his left arm to keep the defender at bay. This right after he picked up his 6th foul on a push off on George under the basket on the prior possession in which he got his 10th rebound ....oh yeah it wasn't called and Bosh tipped int he shot and was fouled.........he's a great player, tremendous athlete but man he is he treated like royalty!!!

Reaction Score
Everybody knows the rules.

After Magic Johnson made his sweeping hook shot to beat the Celtics in game 4 in 1987 with about the same time left, the Celtics called a timeout and got Bird a good look in the corner at the buzzer.

I'll give you a similar stupid NFL rule: the 2-minute warning. A team that's ahead can't kill all of the clock because people can't read the scoreboard?

Reaction Score
Everybody knows the rules.

After Magic Johnson made his sweeping hook shot to beat the Celtics in game 4 in 1987 with about the same time left, the Celtics called a timeout and got Bird a good look in the corner at the buzzer.

I'll give you a similar stupid NFL rule: the 2-minute warning. A team that's ahead can't kill all of the clock because people can't read the scoreboard?

Just because its always been the rules doesn't mean it makes sense. All that means is that the NBA has had a horrible rule forever. But it's the NBA so what do you expect

Reaction Score

They can still call timeout and get the same amount of advertisemt dollars without advancing the ball 70 feet.

Reaction Score
Completely insane that you call timeout and get the ball well past half court. In college and with real rules, Miami is done. Indiana gets fouled and makes their free throws. Miami calls timeout and gets to advance the ball 70 feet?! It's completely insane. I've been saying it for years. Do NFL coaches call timeout and magically get to advance the ball 80 yards? It makes no sense

It was a great game........

.......hopefully more to come!

Reaction Score
They can still call timeout and get the same amount of advertisemt dollars without advancing the ball 70 feet.

Less incentive to use it - many coaches would prefer to attack the defense before it is set. But if you can save five seconds off the clock, you will use every single one you have when you are trailing.

Reaction Score
I get its there for ads and also to create a lot of buzzer beaters. But it is so dumb. Imagine an NFL team scores a td with 5 seconds to go, kicks off and pins the team on the 2 yard line. And they magically get it on the other teams 20. That would never happen!! Because its completely insane. The heat got beat. And yet they win.

The Heat got beat? We must have watched a different game. I guess it was okay when Indiana got to do the same thing? You may disagree with the rule but both teams get to utilize it.

Reaction Score
Less incentive to use it - many coaches would prefer to attack the defense before it is set. But if you can save five seconds off the clock, you will use every single one you have when you are trailing.
That makes sense. But it's still a ridiculous rule.

Reaction Score
Just because its always been the rules doesn't mean it makes sense. All that means is that the NBA has had a horrible rule forever. But it's the NBA so what do you expect

And the 2 minute warning is stupid too. But you get more ads in with it.

Reaction Score
That makes sense. But it's still a ridiculous rule.

Even though we are arguing a bit, I actually agree with you - I hate the rule, too. I've just come to grips with why it is there. Every team has benefitted from it and been hurt by it over the years, so players know how to manage the clock and they know the game isn't over when there is a half-second or more. Not much Indiana could do about leaving a little time on the clock, though - they were down 2 and had to get a shot up there.

Reaction Score
I actually much prefer the NBA rule to the college rule. A lot of historically great buzzer beaters have been squandered by the NCAA's refusal to do the sensible thing and allow an advance once per half.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
The advancing rule makes the end of games more exciting and prevents the game from dragging out.

It prevents fouling in the back court which is a positive. You can't send someone to the line as easily to prevent the other team from shooting a 3. You can still do this once the ball is advanced, but its harder.

I'd prefer a more exciting end-of-game scenario.

Comparing it to football makes you sound like an idiot. It takes 3 seconds to advance the ball to the other half if there's a clean inbound pass.

You sound like another anti-heat or anti-Lebron cry baby by complaining about a rule NOW that has been in effect for as long as I remember the NBA.

Reaction Score
You realize that this is the same league that tells their referees to call an "8" second half court violation when the shot clock drops to 15. Nothing in the NBA makes sense.

And yes, for those of you counting at home, 24-8=16.

Reaction Score
The eight-second backcourt violation will occur when the shot clock reaches 15 seconds, rather than 16.

The last rule is necessary because the 24-second shot clock will now be equipped to show 10ths for the final five seconds and work as a "true" clock. From a technical standpoint, the old shot clock began with 24.9 seconds and expired with .9 left. Now the clock will switch from 24 to 23 seconds after .1 second has expired.

Reaction Score
^the 8 second rule at 15 makes perfect sense, guy is obviously an NBA hater. as is the OP (or just a Heat hater), as if the Pacers didnt take advantage of advancing the ball throughout the game. the rule is no more or less 'unfair' than other random rules like spiking the ball in football, using a pinch runner in baseball that arent part of the natural flow of the game

Reaction Score
only on the boneyard could a game like that that had everyone buzzing result in a "the NBA sucks" thread

Reaction Score
The eight-second backcourt violation will occur when the shot clock reaches 15 seconds, rather than 16.

The last rule is necessary because the 24-second shot clock will now be equipped to show 10ths for the final five seconds and work as a "true" clock. From a technical standpoint, the old shot clock began with 24.9 seconds and expired with .9 left. Now the clock will switch from 24 to 23 seconds after .1 second has expired.
Thanks for clarifying. Now can you please explain to me what traveling in the NBA entails?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom