NBA playoffs | Page 13 | The Boneyard

NBA playoffs

Reaction Score
Again, what does this mean? You've completely lost me.

What do you mean when you say someone is "too far gone" if they don't like a player off the court?

What does it mean when you say we all deep down know where the "hate" comes from?

I don't know if you dislike Jordan on and or off the court (kind of seems like you don't like him off the court) but I would never say you're too far gone if you don't like him off the court? I would never say deep down we all know where the hate comes from.
I said “Plus, he’s a pretty swell guy in general for what he does off the court. If you disagree with that, you’re too far gone.”

You’re acting as if I called him the second calling of Christ. Pretty swell isn’t all that. If you’re of the opinion he isn’t a “Pretty swell guy” for what he has done off the court, then so be it.

Hopefully this cleara it up for you and we can wrap up the back and forth.

Reaction Score
Ok let’s say Calipari gets a commitment from a 5 star recruit as a Jr, but it’s a behind closed doors agreement and he uses the rest of his jr season and senior year to take recruiting visits even though he’s already agreed to join Squid, he announces his decision in a gym in CT. You don’t even get a call saying I have joined Squid, leaving UConn in limbo whether you’re joining or not and wasting their time. Now get over it.
Can’t even fathom what this is.

Reaction Score
I said “Plus, he’s a pretty swell guy in general for what he does off the court. If you disagree with that, you’re too far gone.”

You’re acting as if I called him the second calling of Christ. Pretty swell isn’t all that. If you’re of the opinion he isn’t a “Pretty swell guy” for what he has done off the court, then so be it.

Hopefully this cleara it up for you and we can wrap up the back and forth.
I'm acting like you called him the second coming of Christ because I asked you why it makes you too far gone if someone doesn't like Lebron off the court?

It doesn't really explain anything. You didn't answer my questions what do you mean by too far gone if you don't agree Lebron is a swell guy and we all know deep down where the hate comes from?

Reaction Score
I'm acting like you called him the second coming of Christ because I asked you why it makes you too far gone if someone doesn't like Lebron off the court?

It doesn't really explain anything. You didn't answer my questions what do you mean by too far gone if you don't agree Lebron is a swell guy and we all know deep down where the hate comes from?
Nope, you’re wrong. Didn’t say like. Said “pretty swell” again, there’s an obvious distinction. Don’t have to objectively like him, just realize he’s a pretty good guy. Don’t know how many ways I have to say it lol.

Too far gone being a hater. That’s all. I don’t hate MJ at all. Wasn’t really around to watch him in his heydey, beautiful game from what I saw. But his fans often irrationally hate LeBron, you must realize this.

Anywho, we are getting nowhere. I like LeBron, you don’t. That can be that.

Reaction Score
I think Jordan handles himself much better than Lebron and has a much better/more interesting personality, that's why he's the most popular athlete ever and why people are still so drawn to him

This is not intended to be an insult at all but I think you're the first person I've ever heard say Jordan had a better personality or is more "interesting" than Lebron. In my opinion, the reason people of a certain generation prefer Jordan so much over Lebron is because Jordan has never expressed an interesting thought in his life.

His whole "Republicans buy shoes too" wasn't just a political thing - if you never express a thought about anything you don't give a reason for people to dislike you. That's always explained the Jordan/Lebron thing to me.

And for the person who's bringing up The Decision: it was tone deaf and a bit silly but he was also two years older than Cam Spencer when The Decision happened. If a goofy, self-indulgent press conference is the worst thing a 40 year old dude who's been a celebrity since he was 16 has done that strikes me as a pretty good track record.

Reaction Score
As a Celtics fan, definitely rooting for the Magic tonight to stretch it to a Game 7. More rest for KP. Ultimately, without KP for the next series, I'm thinking the Cavs would be the better matchup. Oralndo has size in the paint, whereas Cleveland is guard-driven. Should win either way though...

I've been impressed with Brunson and the Knicks. I think that would make a very compelling ECF.

Reaction Score
This is not intended to be an insult at all but I think you're the first person I've ever heard say Jordan had a better personality or is more "interesting" than Lebron. In my opinion, the reason people of a certain generation prefer Jordan so much over Lebron is because Jordan has never expressed an interesting thought in his life.

His whole "Republicans buy shoes too" wasn't just a political thing - if you never express a thought about anything you don't give a reason for people to dislike you. That's always explained the Jordan/Lebron thing to me.

And for the person who's bringing up The Decision: it was tone deaf and a bit silly but he was also two years older than Cam Spencer when The Decision happened. If a goofy, self-indulgent press conference is the worst thing a 40 year old dude who's been a celebrity since he was 16 has done that strikes me as a pretty good track record.
Jordan is way more popular than Lebron and no it's not just with people of a certain generation. I have no interest in Jordan or Lebron's political thoughts or social issue thoughts, why would I?

How does it make you interesting or uninteresting if you're active on Twitter/in the media in that realm?

I would much rather hang out with Jordan than Lebron, my guess is you would too.

Reaction Score
Jordan is way more popular than Lebron and no it's not just with people of a certain generation. I have no interest in Jordan or Lebron's political thoughts or social issue thoughts, why would I?

How does it make you interesting or uninteresting if you're active on Twitter/in the media in that realm?

I would much rather hang out with Jordan than Lebron, my guess is you would too.
What makes Jordan more interesting?

Reaction Score

I suspect the twists and turns of his career are what people find interesting more than his actual personality. I know a guy who played golf with him and he said he's actually a fun guy to hang out with, as long as you're cool with a hypercompetitive guy relentlessly belittling you for four hours. Or, I suppose, you're Charles Oakley.

I think they're both great players, I don't really care much more than that. I do think that the Lebron hate is pretty bizarre but probably comes with the territory these days.

Reaction Score
I suspect the twists and turns of his career are what people find interesting more than his actual personality. I know a guy who played golf with him and he said he's actually a fun guy to hang out with, as long as you're cool with a hypercompetitive guy relentlessly belittling you for four hours. Or, I suppose, you're Charles Oakley.

I think they're both great players, I don't really care much more than that. I do think that the Lebron hate is pretty bizarre but probably comes with the territory these days.
Yeah probably more enigmatic. I think both their stories are incredibly interesting and super different obviously. Wouldn’t really matter-of-factly say one is more interesting, that’s a matter of opinion.

Reaction Score
I think he's a really cool guy and wired differently than anyone I've ever seen. He's the most competitive person I've ever seen, a lot of star athletes want to win but he'll claw your eyeballs out to do it. The stories in Barcelona before games and the stories before playoff games are legendary...I find it interesting he was able to keep his personal life separate from his public life while he was the most famous person on the planet. He kept it about basketball and his popularity was so much bigger than basketball.

I find it interesting that everything he did people copied, I've never seen a trendsetter like that...

Jordan was balding so he shaved his head and then everyone was shaving their heads. Players were wearing short shorts, Jordan started wearing long shorts so everyone started wearing long shorts. Jordan wore baggy designer suits, everyone around the league started wearing baggy designer suits. He stuck his tongue out on drives, farm boys in Iowa and kids in South Korea started sticking their tongues out when they drove. I've never seen someone capture people like that and it was in every corner of the world. He'll still have the highest selling sneakers long after he's dead...

I think it's interesting he quit basketball for two seasons at the height of his playing career when his dad/best friend was murdered to play baseball because baseball was the first sport his dad taught him and his dad had dreams of him being a major league baseball player. He wasn't chasing rings, he instead honored his father through riding around on buses and playing in minor league parks in the middle of nowhere. I thought it was interesting he retired again after another three-peat when he was clearly the best player in the league and left more championships on the table. He wasn't chasing rings or chasing ghosts.

I found his speech at Kobe's funeral interesting, it was one of the best and most heartfelt speeches I've ever seen and it was further insight into both Kobe and Jordan...

Reaction Score

To be fair, early in his career and in college he he came across as charming. The stories you hear from, say, Bob Knight with the 1984 Olympic team give you an impression of who he was before fame made him more reserved.

But for people like me, who was a superfan in the 1990s...by that point he had essentially done his best to really downplay any personality outside winning on the court.

LeBron hate is bizarre, but fully expected. He came crowned before he did anything in the pros, and that turned some people off. And he decided here and there to make stands for political things (which is going to turn some people off always) but...then, like, wasn't consistent with his comments regarding China or Saudi Arabia, so it gives the impression the political positions are just about money. Which, fine. Jordan, as you note, was really just about the money. But he didn't really pretend to be other than that.

Ultimately LeBron is a guy who has not gotten in trouble off court, has been a loving parent, and taken some stands on things...and been an unbelievable basketball player.

Reaction Score
Would anyone take the cash out? Just need Mavericks to close it out but…

Attachments

• IMG_0169.jpeg
    IMG_0169.jpeg
    276.1 KB · Views: 13
Reaction Score
Donovan Mitchell scored 50 of the Cavs 96 points in a loss. He scored 18 in the 4th quarter, his teammates scored 0 in the 4th. That's surely never happened before.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom