NBA Playoffs 2023

why do you like the celtics?

• sixers

Votes: 16 20.3%
  • celtics

Votes: 65 82.3%

• Total voters

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Are you asking me if I think it’s Mazzulla’s fault that Philadelphia scored with 18 seconds left on the game clock, Mazzulla did not call a timeout, and Boston didn’t get a shot off before time ran out?
Biggest mistake was JB doubling Embiid and leaving Harden open. Mazzulla should have been crystal clear - no 3s in that situation. If Philly gets a 2, who cares? You get the ball in a tied game with a shot to win.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I hate when a jump shooter like Tatum tries to win a game with anything but a jump shot.
He was shooting horrendously all game. Good on him to recognize it, if not but for being too late to recognize it. If he did at any point or if Mazzulla calls his number on a drive to the basket in the 2nd Quarter as opposed to coming out of halftime, Boston wins, going away.

I remember a bunch of sports pundits roasting Philly when they traded for Harden.

Those hot takes are not aging so well right now.
Harden was coming off two stinkers and the 6ers were desperate. It's 2-2 and Boston regained home court advantage after Game 3. The Celtics were way too lax in Game 4. They could have really put Philly on the ropes and they blew it.

Philly was up by 15 in the 3rd, had the crowd and momentum, and needed overtime to win. Dare I say Boston beat themselves in both losses. They are getting killed in the local media this morning.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Biggest mistake was JB doubling Embiid and leaving Harden open. Mazzulla should have been crystal clear - no 3s in that situation. If Philly gets a 2, who cares? You get the ball in a tied game with a shot to win.

1000%

Reaction Score
It shouldn't need to be said but good on Ishbia for saying it...

Mat Ishbia on Twitter: "Great win for the Suns last night in an amazing series so far! That should be and is the only story. Suspending or fining anyone over last nights incident would not be right. I have alot of respect for Jokic and don’t want to see anything like that. Excited for game 5! Go Suns!" / Twitter

Reaction Score
I don't think it was an issue to not call the timeout. You have Tatum and Brown on the floor. Let's be honest the final play was going to be one of those 2 goes iso, whether they used the TO or not..

The first issue was that Tatum started his move 45 feet from the hoop with 5 seconds left, even though there was no ball pressure the entire way up the court and he got the ball with around 7. Tatum got Maxey on him on the switch. Even got past him and turned the corner. Everything went right, except that instead of hitting the open guy on the double (White) or taking the shot once he was in the lane (Embiid was still rotating over), he took that extra dribble, found himself 1v3 under the hoop, and whipped a 28 foot pass with 1 second left

I think that one is 90% on Tatum, and 10% on Smart for not getting Tatum the ball until 7s left
100% on Mazulla for not calling a timeout and actually coaching. They intentionally ran clock down in a game they were losing. We can blame players, sure, but that is actually coaches job to call timeout and set up late game scenario. Even Brian scalibrine, who is friends with Mazulla, killed him on the radio.

Essentially, you have to extend the game, always, when you are down.

Reaction Score
100% on Mazulla for not calling a timeout and actually coaching. They intentionally ran clock down in a game they were losing. We can blame players, sure, but that is actually coaches job to call timeout and set up late game scenario. Even Brian scalibrine, who is friends with Mazulla, killed him on the radio.

Essentially, you have to extend the game, always, when you are down.
Some coaches trust their players to play it out and don't like calling a timeout where the other team can take out their defensive liabilities and scheme to get a stop. The question is why was the strategy to wait until the very end to get a shot off when you are down? Listening to Tatum's postgame that was clearly what they wanted, but just a second faster.

They're a great team but when it's a close game at the end this sort of thing seems to happen a lot to them and then it's Tatum saying he needs to be better after the game. Maybe they'll do what UConn did and blow everyone out from here on out so their close game struggles won't matter.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don’t think Ishbia deserved the Mark Stevens penalty, but $100k and a multi game suspension would have been a reasonable consequence for an owner getting into a physical interaction with an opposing player. Instead, Jokic gets fined.

Reaction Score
Some coaches trust their players to play it out and don't like calling a timeout where the other team can take out their defensive liabilities and scheme to get a stop. The question is why was the strategy to wait until the very end to get a shot off when you are down? Listening to Tatum's postgame that was clearly what they wanted, but just a second faster.

They're a great team but when it's a close game at the end this sort of thing seems to happen a lot to them and then it's Tatum saying he needs to be better after the game. Maybe they'll do what UConn did and blow everyone out from here on out so their close game struggles won't matter.
Mazulla was wrong. I am big proponent of not calling A timeout if you are tied. But, considering they had two timeouts, you have to play the clock. They needed to advance the ball, efficiently take a good shot quickly And prepare to either foul or play defense.

It was malpractice.

Reaction Score
Tatum made the right hoops play. That’s how they play. He went too late, which is smart’s and Mazulla’s fault.

I guess you want Tatum to not pass it to a capable wide open shooter? Smart nailed the shot the second time too. It was just late.

Hindsight is he shoots it because of time. But he doesn’t know the clock is that deep.

Jordan passed to Paxson, Kerr and Armstrong. Bird passed to Ainge and DJ. Shaq passed to Robert Horry.

You must make the right basketball play. Timing was off because the coach blew it.

It was a horrible play. He made the pass with almost no time left. On top of that, they only needed two points to win and one to tie. He should have shot it. He's a great player and he didn't blow it on purpose, but it clearly was not the right play. You don't make the right play and not get a shot off in time.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score

The fact that Harden, Durant and Kobe are on there should tell you something. Making those shots is not easy.
Plus there's the sample size. If he had made one more shot he wouldn't be on that list

Reaction Score
The fact that Harden, Durant and Kobe are on there should tell you something. Making those shots is not easy.
Plus there's the sample size. If he had made one more shot he wouldn't be on that list
And then you see LeBron’s numbers, makes you just laugh at the massive narrative that he isn’t clutch. He’s easily one of the clutchest players of all time.

Reaction Score
And then you see LeBron’s numbers, makes you just laugh at the massive narrative that he isn’t clutch. He’s easily one of the clutchest players of all time.
There's LeBron before he murdered Boston in 2012, and LeBron after. He did some great things before (the Pistons win, the Orlando series), but he had some major clunkers (2010 vs. Celtics, 2011 vs. Dallas) that are—fairly—a part of his narrative. Some people have let that narrative stick with them.

Then he murdered the Celtics in Game 6 of the 2012 ECF and he was different. He missed the 3 in 2013 Finals Game 7, but he was legit the only reason they were close enough for Allen to save him. LeBron is a beast. Somehow still is.

Reaction Score
Philly/Boston should be such a fun series to watch but man it gets frustrating..

Embiid and Smart spend more time on the floor than they do on their feet. So much fun superstar potential in these games but it gets so annoying to watch them flop every possession lol

Usually Harden does too but it feels like he hasn't been flopping as much this series. Or maybe I just have selective memory

Reaction Score
Philly/Boston should be such a fun series to watch but man it gets frustrating..

Embiid and Smart spend more time on the floor than they do on their feet. So much fun superstar potential in these games but it gets so annoying to watch them flop every possession lol

Usually Harden does too but it feels like he hasn't been flopping as much this series. Or maybe I just have selective memory
As someone who would prefer to see the Celtics win, that play where Smart ran into Tucker and fell down to draw FTs was such a joke.

On another note I’m not a fan of NBA teams wearing these random alternatives in the playoffs. Celtics have such nice clean classic jerseys and are wearing these abominations.

Reaction Score
On another note I’m not a fan of NBA teams wearing these random alternatives in the playoffs. Celtics have such nice clean classic jerseys and are wearing these abominations.

I don't mind when teams change up the jerseys because some of them are great but these Celtics unis are atrocious.

Reaction Score
As someone who would prefer to see the Celtics win, that play where Smart ran into Tucker and fell down to draw FTs was such a joke.

That's the play that prompted my post haha. As I type this, Embiid is on the ground again

I don't get it with Embiid. He's like 7'0 and 270 pounds. Literally nobody in the NBA can guard him. Unstoppable in the low post, one of the best mid post games in the league, and even can dribble, shoot off the dribble, and hit threes. He doesn't need to flop to dominate!

Reaction Score
That's the play that prompted my post haha. As I type this, Embiid is on the ground again

I don't get it with Embiid. He's like 7'0 and 270 pounds. Literally nobody in the NBA can guard him. Unstoppable in the low post, one of the best mid post games in the league, and even can dribble, shoot off the dribble, and hit threes. He doesn't need to flop to dominate!
He grew up playing soccer.

Used to think Thabeet was out for the season every time he hit the deck, until I realized what was going on with the soccer culture thing.

Reaction Score
4 - 3 - 2 - 1 …..

Hawk: the refs gave this game to the Sixers.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This year’s championship was practically gift wrapped for the winner of the Bucks/Celtics Eastern Conference finals once Embiid hurt his knee. This is why they play the games.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
This year’s championship was practically gift wrapped for the winner of the Bucks/Celtics Eastern Conference finals once Embiid hurt his knee. This is why they play the games.
I’m going to keep saying that the Lakers are winning this.

They’ve been getting it done and Lebron hasn’t even had to go for 25. If the Celtics go down you can book it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I’m going to keep saying that the Lakers are winning this.

They’ve been getting it done and Lebron hasn’t even had to go for 25. If the Celtics go down you can book it.
At this point, why not?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom