NBA Insurance | The Boneyard

NBA Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I usually think about players like Bradley or Wolf that could give up their scholarships for Drummond, but it might make more sense for a top player like Lamb to do so. From my understanding, Lamb could purchase disability insurance either through the NCAA or a private insurer and have coverage up to a few million if he never makes the NBA (not sure exactly how the policies work but here is a summary: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/22/sports/football/22nfl.html ) As a projected lottery pick, he should be able to buy a policy if he hasn't already done so. He can take a loan out to pay the premium if he needs to. It's likely he could also take out a loan to pay his own tuition for the school year if he needs to. If he makes the NBA next year, then he'll be pulling in millions and one year of tuition won't affect him. If he gets hurt and never makes it, he'll at least have a few million from the policy which would easily cover his loans. Lamb might not want to do this as it would be a bit of a sacrifice and I'm sure UConn does not want to anger one of its top players. But I would rather have Lamb or even Oriakhi (likely with a smaller policy) sacrifice a little while staying secure financially than have Bradley take out loans with no insurance, or have a player transfer. Of course, this plan might not be able to work and if it would, I'm sure UConn has already thought of it.

Reaction Score
My understanding is Lamb contemplated a move to the league. A reasonable byproduct of that contemplation would be for JL to have an insurance policy in hand paid for by some third party to protect some future earning potential. The problem is as Ray Allen expressed regarding the practice facility it is not his responsibility to front any costs for the PF. This is a common theme among former players with lucrative contracts. With regards to JL he would be advised from an "unofficial" 3rd party that this would be against his best interests and would set a bad precedent for future "shabizzness" decisions. I think the scenario you present is a plausible 1 but highly unlikely due to the general mentality of a soon to be professional athlete. There would have to be an understanding between AD and JL that certain "expenses" would be reimbursed at a later date. I don't think that's a path compliance want to venture down. The risk outweighs the benefits. Great thought though!

Reaction Score
You guys are spanking someone else's monkey.

We have no idea what player is in the best position to help get AD on campus- the coaches and the school do know.

This would be a matter of course if is was not Ad and it did not happen so late in the process.

Reaction Score
You guys are spanking someone else's monkey.

We have no idea what player is in the best position to help get AD on campus- the coaches and the school do know.

This would be a matter of course if is was not Ad and it did not happen so late in the process.
Vegas odds put Bradley @ 3/1
Vegas odds put Wolf @ 8/1
Vegas odds puts Giffey @ 18/1

All odds posted by the Hilton Las Vegas...;) Place your bets!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom