NBA Finally Set to Fine Flopping . . . | The Boneyard

NBA Finally Set to Fine Flopping . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
. . . Duke has announced plans to lodge a formal protest.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8433232/nba-finalizing-procedures-penalize-players-flopping

On a serious note, this is great. Getting rid of the acting will help the game. Soccer ought to take a note and implement something similar - there is nothing worse than watching a soccer player fling himself to the ground and grab his leg like it was snapped in half after a clean take away by the defender.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
. . . Duke has announced plans to lodge a formal protest.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8433232/nba-finalizing-procedures-penalize-players-flopping

On a serious note, this is great. Getting rid of the acting will help the game. Soccer ought to take a note and implement something similar - there is nothing worse than watching a soccer player fling himself to the ground and grab his leg like it was snapped in half after a clean take away by the defender.
they do they guy gets a yellow card if he flops, fines wont do anything... they need to give a personal foul or a technical foul punish the player and if it ends up harming the team he wont be trying it again hopefully

Reaction Score
Pull out flopping for a special occasion, like Finals Game 7.

Reaction Score
they do they guy gets a yellow card if he flops, fines wont do anything... they need to give a personal foul or a technical foul punish the player and if it ends up harming the team he wont be trying it again hopefully
The stigma both amongst peers and then widely known by refs will be plenty to curtail the flopping. It'll be worth a calculated risk to flop in key game situations, but those that take this risk and flop unnecessarily will find that each successive flop is increasingly unlikely to be called a charge. The list of flop fines should be great for fan fodder.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Maybe Andy Varajao will have to learn how to play some basketball now!

Reaction Score
"...The procedures likely will involve a postgame review of the play by the league office, rather than an official calling an infraction during the game..."

Obviously, they don't have faith in the refs' ability to determine a true flop. Otherwise, there's no story - refs should just ignore the flop and play on.

Reaction Score
Flopping is an art. Its part of the game. You shouldnt fine players for it.

Reaction Score
Always nice to get the input of the soccer faithful.

Haha well done. I am a die hard soccer fan. I think it is part of the game. Flopping doesn't always work. There are risks involved to flopping that you must consider. Its not like a flop is automatic. Like I said, it's an art. There's a reason why Shane Battier gets all those whistles - its not because he's the luckiest guy in the world, its because he picks just the right spots to do it.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I've had more fun watching paint dry than I have watching soccer.

Reaction Score
Haha well done. I am a die hard soccer fan. I think it is part of the game. Flopping doesn't always work. There are risks involved to flopping that you must consider. Its not like a flop is automatic. Like I said, it's an art. There's a reason why Shane Battier gets all those whistles - its not because he's the luckiest guy in the world, its because he picks just the right spots to do it.

No doubt an art and I respect that. But when you have a guy like Battier who elects to use it rather than play D it's a disgrace.........for most Dukies it's a disgrace as they tend to look to do it rather than actually guard a guy on occasion.

You are correct it's an art and if used strategically and especially off the ball in help via the anticipation route, can be quite a defense. But there are way too many frauds!!! Most of them from Durham

Reaction Score
No doubt an art and I respect that. But when you have a guy like Battier who elects to use it rather than play D it's a disgrace.........for most Dukies it's a disgrace as they tend to look to do it rather than actually guard a guy on occasion.

You are correct it's an art and if used strategically and especially off the ball in help via the anticipation route, can be quite a defense. But there are way too many frauds!!! Most of them from Durham

It's not a disgrace its a tool. Generally, floppers are done by intelligent players not disgraceful ones. You have to have a high basketball IQ to understand when to utilize the flop and when not to - its not like its a laziness thing. Besides, according to Sports Illustrated a few months ago they actually polled every NBA player to see who the biggest floppers were and it wasn't an entire list of dook players (Battier was #6 not #1). If you're looking for a common bond its intelligence. If you're looking for an ignorant common bond (like blaming Coach K for some reason) its that its mostly done by foreign-born players.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1104/nba.biggest.flopper/content.1.html

Reaction Score
It's not a disgrace its a tool. Generally, floppers are done by intelligent players not disgraceful ones. You have to have a high basketball IQ to understand when to utilize the flop and when not to - its not like its a laziness thing. Besides, according to Sports Illustrated a few months ago they actually polled every NBA player to see who the biggest floppers were and it wasn't an entire list of dook players (Battier was #6 not #1). If you're looking for a common bond its intelligence. If you're looking for an ignorant common bond (like blaming Coach K for some reason) its that its mostly done by foreign-born players.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1104/nba.biggest.flopper/content.1.html

You can say what you want as it's only opinion as it is from my end. But I played, learned it from one of the best as a kid, and believe I also got away with it too much and depended on it occasionally. And call it "laziness" or just a "tool", it is intelligence and it's not always used intelligently but rather as an escape for not being a good defender. Disagree or not, I've seen it!!! Don't care about SI or anyone, just watch a Duke game, that's a disgrace and the refs have bought in like it or not!!

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
taking a true charge or slightly exaggerating a play on offense to make sure a foul is called when a foul is actually committed is fine. A defensive player falling 20 feet backwards when an offensive player barely touches him or an offensive player diving to the ground after his jersey gets grazed should not be called a foul. The flopping rule better be consistently called on offensive players. What Shane Battier does is fine 90% of the time in my mind. It's annoying when he draws a questionable charge, but not nearly as annoying as when Kobe Bryant or Dwayne Wade have one finger put on them and they dive to the floor and get a foul call 95% of the time. There are only a handful of super star players in the league, but the officials create another 10 by giving them outrageous foul calls on the offensive end. Lebron James is annoying at times and almost never gets called for a foul on defense. However, I will give him a ton of credit for being able to dominate on offense regardless of whether or not he gets bogus foul calls. Kobe Bryant or Dwayne Wade could not dominate on offense game in and game out like Lebron without very special treatment from the refs or by playing with a other great players. If the flopping stops, than I can go back to enjoying the NBA.

Reaction Score
NBA announced the flopping fines and guidelines.
First flop = warning
2nd = $5K
3rd = 10K
4th = 15K
5th = 30K
6th = possible suspension
Floping is; "Any physical act that appears to have been intended to cause the referees to call a foul on another player"
Further; "The primary factor in determining whether a player committed a flop is whether or not he went to Dook."
...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................just kidding
"The primary factor in determining whether a player committed a flop is whether his physical reaction to contact with another player is inconsistent with what would reasonably be expected given the force or direction of the contact."

Enough subjective language in the definition that the league can do what it wants. Sounds like they'll call offensive flops too (likely only in extreme circumstances I'd guess such as game deciding over-acting to get fouls called on defense that never occured). Expect appeals but that's fine as appealing risks further unwanted attention to the floppers. I think the fines are good, again it is the frequent floppers you need to penalize so they made getting 1-3 flops over the course of a season relatively painless. 3-4 flops won't matter to the stars at all but that's good because you mostly want to discourage Brian Scalabrine's from coming into game to guard a LeBron and flop disrupting play and risking star injuries. Nonetheless having flops on your stat line will have a negative stigma among peers and the same stigma effect that technicals do for refs (the more flops you commit, the more flops you get called for). Only thing they really missed adding a Krychczxvy surcharge where he pays 10K every time one of his ex-players flops.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
To me there is a difference between "selling" an offensive foul call by over-reacting to actual physical contact, and violently flopping after receiving the lightest of contact. The second should be penalized.

Taking a charge is a part of the game but I think they get over-called. For instance, Battier (and a lot of Duke guys) "excel" at taking charges in the lane, but more often than not, they slide into position after the ball-handler has left his feet. That leads to a lot of bad calls. It also happens to be dangerous, as the defender usually crumples to the ground as if he has been shot in the leg, often taking the offensive player down with him. (This entire second paragraph has little to do with the NBA's decision to fine floppers; I just wanted to make a point relating to charges.)

Reaction Score
To me there is a difference between "selling" an offensive foul call by over-reacting to actual physical contact, and violently flopping after receiving the lightest of contact. The second should be penalized.

Taking a charge is a part of the game but I think they get over-called. For instance, Battier (and a lot of Duke guys) "excel" at taking charges in the lane, but more often than not, they slide into position after the ball-handler has left his feet. That leads to a lot of bad calls. It also happens to be dangerous, as the defender usually crumples to the ground as if he has been shot in the leg, often taking the offensive player down with him. (This entire second paragraph has little to do with the NBA's decision to fine floppers; I just wanted to make a point relating to charges.)
I agree. Generally I think the rule will police those that fall and over-act on the defensive end when there is absolutely no contact. Offensivly if its used at all it will only be for the most egregious offenses where a player 1) acts like he was shot and 2) gets a call despite no contact and 3) it has a real impact on the game.

Reaction Score
As long as this eliminates some of the nonsense Reggie Evans and Chris Paul have pulled the last few years I'm all for it. Evans almost got Grevis Vasquez EJECTED from a game on a ridiculous flop until refs reviewed it on the monitors and realized what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom