NBA Draft Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

NBA Draft Thread

Reaction Score
I meant Reggie leading them to the finals, my bad. In regards to the draft, I think the Pacers got a huge steal in Cassius Stanley, hopefully he pans out even though he went to Dook unfortunately. I just hope they move Vic and/or powder puff Myles for some studs. It's gonna be hard to do

Reaction Score
You are right, it would be insanity UNLESS Hayward knew that there were other offers pending. There are at least a half a dozen teams with 15MM+/yr to spend on free agents, yet the #1 unrestricted free agent this year is.... um... Van Vleet and Hayward is #2. So although Hawyard almost certainly won't match his 34MM one year total, the bet has to be that he has likely offers for 3+ years for at least double that (say 20 x 4).
Hopefully the fact that the Celts extended the deadline for Hayward means there is a sign and trade waiting to happen and its just delayed by the tampering freeze fallout of failed Bucks-BoganB deal.

You'd think it'd be better for the Celtics not to have to pay him 34M next year, but they get no salary credit if he opts out - so given the choice they'd rather continue paying him ~1.5-2 x worth versus having nothing and thus Celtic fans and ownership are aligned in wanting either a sign-and-trade or Hayward back for one more year (esp fans, it is not our 34MM).
maybe he just realllly didn't want to end up getting swapped with Drummond and ending up in Cleveland

Reaction Score
i agree that having no tourney had an effect, albeit minor. the real culprit tho, is the brand along with changed youth lifestyle. it ain't reversing anytime soon. at some point, nba leadership will ask why, in a lockdown pandemic climate, are way less folks tuning in. the answer?
'you blew it (see speechifying, eg), and we're just not that into you anymore.'
here's to hoping that college hoops and football can firm up the footing for our national inclination to be fans of relatively pure sport, tho i have some concern that when college roundball begins again, some in that world may think that it's time to re-speechify. if so, our obvious and wholly predictable response will be click. garuntee.
( i wrote my original thread comment before the ratings came out.)
Dr Dinosaur: TV ratings? Yes the NBA like all other sports entertainment is/will suffer a pandemic downturn. Prior to that annual revenues were rising.
P.S. black lives matter.

Reaction Score
maybe he just realllly didn't want to end up getting swapped with Drummond and ending up in Cleveland
That's possible I suppose, but if that is the deal the Celtics wanted don't they refuse to extend the option and keep the proverbial gun to Hayward's head and try and strong-arm the deal? Or if Hayward knows that is inevitable then he declines the option a day ago.

I'm thinking that both sides agreed to extend because they each see a possibility for better options than unrestricted or the 1yr deal. Hayward has the leverage though so Celtics could get screwed as I described if they can't engineer a sign and trade and he just opts out.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
You are right, it would be insanity UNLESS Hayward knew that there were other offers pending. There are at least a half a dozen teams with 15MM+/yr to spend on free agents, yet the #1 unrestricted free agent this year is.... um... Van Vleet and Hayward is #2. So although Hawyard almost certainly won't match his 34MM one year total, the bet has to be that he has likely offers for 3+ years for at least double that (say 20 x 4).
Hopefully the fact that the Celts extended the deadline for Hayward means there is a sign and trade waiting to happen and its just delayed by the tampering freeze fallout of failed Bucks-BoganB deal.

You'd think it'd be better for the Celtics not to have to pay him 34M next year, but they get no salary credit if he opts out - so given the choice they'd rather continue paying him ~1.5-2 x worth versus having nothing and thus Celtic fans and ownership are aligned in wanting either a sign-and-trade or Hayward back for one more year (esp fans, it is not our 34MM).

But this gets them out of a tax payer for a year and can go back to tax payer after tatums max extension kicks in next year.

the Q

Reaction Score
Yikes.. Celtics really got shafted here. Just haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate to see it :)

Apparently there was an actual deal on the table to Indiana for Turner (in principle)

I'm curious what the thought process behind his opt out is? Does he think he's going to do better than 34 million per? That's insanity.

Would need to be more than turner to fit cap wise

Reaction Score
The rumor is Hayward has a 3 year offer for around $80M from the Knicks

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Or not

This is still a good result for Boston.

And Kanter is being traded as well. More picks plus another exemption.

Reaction Score
This is still a good result for Boston.

And Kanter is being traded as well. More picks plus another exemption.
Getting Turner would be great for them, can't see how they could possibly convince them to add Oladipo

Reaction Score
Getting Turner would be great for them, can't see how they could possibly convince them to add Oladipo
Agree, I'd think its either Turner or Oladipo - no way both unless Boston put Smart in play (GWillliams and/or any other reserves, draft picks or other chattel will not suffice).
ON the either/or, Turner fits the need better, but I'd be psyched for the potential upside of Oladipo, he's repetitive but so was Hayward and VO could be flipped for a big mid-season if he gets healthy and returns to form. They must have some plan because their only bigs right now are Theis and.... um, ....er...Tacko?!

the Q

Reaction Score
Agree, I'd think its either Turner or Oladipo - no way both unless Boston put Smart in play (GWillliams and/or any other reserves, draft picks or other chattel will not suffice).
ON the either/or, Turner fits the need better, but I'd be psyched for the potential upside of Oladipo, he's repetitive but so was Hayward and VO could be flipped for a big mid-season if he gets healthy and returns to form. They must have some plan because their only bigs right now are Theis and.... um, ....er...Tacko?!

Danny could, and arguably should put Romeo in play for the turner/dipo package

Reaction Score

My guess is he'll get paid as much as possible by the teams that seem to never win because they give max contracts to guys like him and then when he's over 30 he'll want to win and take pay cuts. Crazy he's still just 26, he'll be a dominant rebounder rim runner well into his 30's.

Reaction Score
Good for Hayward but the Hornets are nuts. Maybe this is why they continue to be one of the worst franchises in the NBA.
They don't even have the cap space to afford him, makes no sense. Hope the Knicks are on the phone tonight offering to take Batum or Zeller with picks

Reaction Score
With Batum's dead cap from being stretched the Hornets are paying $39m for Hayward each of the next three years. MJ and Kupchak are horrendous executives. The Hornets still aren't a playoff team.

Disappointing that the Knicks couldn't get something out of that situation but I'm not sure a front office who's so bad that they sign Hayward to that deal is smart enough to try to get out of Batum's $27m remaining salary.

Boston losing Hayward for nothing, after losing Horford and Kyrie for nothing, is unbelievable. The Kemba signing was a mistake (as much as we love Kemba). I'm amazed Ainge still has a job. He's living off that BK trade from eons ago and the Fultz/Tatum draft swap.

Reaction Score
Jeff teague and tristan thompson are celtics wannamaker to golden state.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Lakers are killing it this off-season. Schroeder, Harrell and Matthews are great pickups. It appears Davis is coming back and LeBron continues to be a freak of nature at his age.

Reaction Score
With Batum's dead cap from being stretched the Hornets are paying $39m for Hayward each of the next three years. MJ and Kupchak are horrendous executives. The Hornets still aren't a playoff team.

Disappointing that the Knicks couldn't get something out of that situation but I'm not sure a front office who's so bad that they sign Hayward to that deal is smart enough to try to get out of Batum's $27m remaining salary.

Boston losing Hayward for nothing, after losing Horford and Kyrie for nothing, is unbelievable. The Kemba signing was a mistake (as much as we love Kemba). I'm amazed Ainge still has a job. He's living off that BK trade from eons ago and the Fultz/Tatum draft swap.
I don't like Ainge's mid-first drafting choices, Langford was a HUGE mistake lat year (arguably worst first round pick vs if they take Brandon Clarke they might have been in finals), BUT both the pretty recent Tatum swap and the Pierce/Garnett Brooklyn trade were all-time fleecings. Celtics have been competitive every year, Hawyard signing was a disaster from start to finish but the CLT contract isn't Ainge's fault and neither were the injuries.

He'd be a distraction and therefore likely a bad signing, but I feel that the Celtics need to pay Isiaih Thomas something to get rid of the bad juju from dumping him with an injury sustained in service to C's.

the Q

Reaction Score
I don't like Ainge's mid-first drafting choices, Langford was a HUGE mistake lat year (arguably worst first round pick vs if they take Brandon Clarke they might have been in finals), BUT both the pretty recent Tatum swap and the Pierce/Garnett Brooklyn trade were all-time fleecings. Celtics have been competitive every year, Hawyard signing was a disaster from start to finish but the CLT contract isn't Ainge's fault and neither were the injuries.

He'd be a distraction and therefore likely a bad signing, but I feel that the Celtics need to pay Isiaih Thomas something to get rid of the bad juju from dumping him with an injury sustained in service to C's.

Just taking thybull at 14 and they’re probably in the finals.

The Tatum trade was only a fleece because fultz got the yips. It was a very light trade to move up to 1-1 historically.

the Q

Reaction Score
With the biannual exception adding a guy like Wayne Ellington wouldn’t be the worst move.

provides the shooting they need off the bench.

Reaction Score
Just taking thybull at 14 and they’re probably in the finals.

The Tatum trade was only a fleece because fultz got the yips. It was a very light trade to move up to 1-1 historically.
I agree on Thybulle, he might have been even better than Clarke in that he would have made Smart expendable. Smart being their most trade-able contract & the guy that jacked up 20 shots when forced into starters minutes and role due to Hayward's ineffectiveness.

IF Ainge took Fultz he'd be justifiably gone. To trade down for an NBA all-star in exchange for a guy that barely plays and is traded for a 2nd rounder is a fleece regardless. If Portland traded down to #2 and took Durant instead of Oden or 2 to #3 and took Jordan instead of Bowie, these things would be talked about as long as there is an NBA. Let's see what Tatum does (an hopefully Fultz salvages more of his career), but that trade is within a whisker of legendary draft day swaps & blunders

And of course if Philly had Tatum they probably win the finals in 2019 and make it again in 2020.

the Q

Reaction Score
I agree on Thybulle, he might have been even better than Clarke in that he would have made Smart expendable. Smart being their most trade-able contract & the guy that jacked up 20 shots when forced into starters minutes and role due to Hayward's ineffectiveness.

IF Ainge took Fultz he'd be justifiably gone. To trade down for an NBA all-star in exchange for a guy that barely plays and is traded for a 2nd rounder is a fleece regardless. If Portland traded down to #2 and took Durant instead of Oden or 2 to #3 and took Jordan instead of Bowie, these things would be talked about as long as there is an NBA. Let's see what Tatum does (an hopefully Fultz salvages more of his career), but that trade is within a whisker of legendary draft day swaps & blunders

And of course if Philly had Tatum they probably win the finals in 2019 and make it again in 2020.

Im more in the Danny probably should’ve just traded for kawhi school of thought.

maybe he bounces, but you probably win it all in 2019 and that’s worth it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom