NBA Draft Combine | Page 17 | The Boneyard

NBA Draft Combine

Reaction Score
Here’s a nice write up on our 5 guys.

I agree with this writer and some other ones that Stephon’s 3pt. shooting will drastically improve in the NBA

It feels like it's a foregone conclusion that there's All-Star potential here if he can turn himself into a reliable outside shooter, and if the Combine showed scouts anything, it's that that lights-out jumper is hiding somewhere in there.’

Reaction Score
I can’t imagine a team like Celtics or Nuggets not taking him. Plug and play, high iq.
He would be great on the Celtics and Nuggets. The main saving grace for UConn is that a lot of guys would be good for the Celtics and Nuggets, so they have to decide how far up or down their board he is. Like every guy on that "helped their stock" list is fringe first and 2nd rounds.

Reaction Score

I agree with this writer and some other ones that Stephon’s 3pt. shooting will drastically improve in the NBA

It feels like it's a foregone conclusion that there's All-Star potential here if he can turn himself into a reliable outside shooter, and if the Combine showed scouts anything, it's that that lights-out jumper is hiding somewhere in there.’

I'm kind of surprised Cam didn't play better in these games as he can definitely improvise and thus should be fine in these type of scrimmages.

Reaction Score
I'm kind of surprised Cam didn't play better in these games as he can definitely improvise and thus should be fine in these type of scrimmages.
Thing to remember is not if the shots went in. It is not how cam got the shoots, it is was he able to get open like he would have to in nba. Is his athleticism going to be an issue or something he can overcome with smarts and skills?

There is not a scout in the draft who worries if he can make the shot. It is, can he get open and take the shot.

Reaction Score
Thing to remember is not if the shots went in. It is not how cam got the shoots, it is was he able to get open like he would have to in nba. Is his athleticism going to be an issue or something he can overcome with smarts and skills?

There is not a scout in the draft who worries if he can make the shot. It is, can he get open and take the shot.
Yeah, but these scrimmages were against other college kids and not NBA players. I understand these are guys playing for the chance to make it to the NBA but considering how well Cam did against great defenders in the BIg East and in the Tourney I was surprised by the numbers. I guess maybe because the games were sped up a little more than Cam is use to that it might of impacted his offense. Cam likes to play at a slower pace. I'm still rooting for him to stick with a team but not sure he will overcome the perceived notion that he just lacks even the average athletic ability to make it into the NBA.

Reaction Score

He has a very good shot as we all know and he shot great during the 2 shooting drills.

I think @JohnFSilver said it best.
Can he get open long enough to get his shot off. A player with a near perfect form and technique and who can get a shot off quicker, needs less space between his defender to take that shot. Pro players are bigger and quicker than what he’s gone up against which unfortunately, may pose a problem for him.
Fortunately, he will be playing somewhere and getting paid for it.
https://the-boneyard.com/threads/nba-draft-combine.200839/post-5004500

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He has a very good shot as we all know and he shot great during the 2 shooting drills.

I think @JohnFSilver said it best.
Can he get open long enough to get his shot off. A player with a near perfect form and technique and who can get a shot off quicker, needs less space between his defender to take that shot. Pro players are bigger and quicker than what he’s gone up against which unfortunately, may pose a problem for him.
Fortunately, he will be playing somewhere and getting paid for it.
NBA Draft Combine
Mostly it's whether he would be an unplayable liability on defense. Unfortunately, the answer is probably yes. Despite increased ball movement and a shift away from ISO, NBA teams still ruthlessly exploit mismatches.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I think AK is gone. I am not coming with any knowledge but his shooting and his overall make-up have me believing he is going to be a solid NBA player who can shoot, play the zone defense the NBA does a lot of, and his basketball intelligence

Reaction Score
I think AK is gone. I am not coming with any knowledge but his shooting and his overall make-up have me believing he is going to be a solid NBA player who can shoot, play the zone defense the NBA does a lot of, and his basketball intelligence
You might want to rethink your statement that the NBA plays a lot of zone

Reaction Score

Castle is going to be special. Would not be surprised if he eventually becomes a 20/5/5 type player. Im still sticking to last years prediction that Sanogo will eventually start and become a solid double double guy. Too talented and works too hard not to succeed.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
You might want to rethink your statement that the NBA plays a lot of zone
They at times play zone and I see it and then they switch to man.

Reaction Score
They at times play zone and I see it and then they switch to man.
Karaban actually showing pretty good lateral quickness surprisingly on the shuttle drills. He was lacking on vertical(But makes up with it with good length) and is awfully slow going down the court as his horrible sprint times showed. It seems he is more quick moving his feet lateral and super slow running up and dow which he will need to work on. I think he can be fine guarding 4s in the NBA as long as he keeps them in front of him as he has no closing speed. Of course he will need to be hitting the 3 and make smart passes to really shine in the NBA.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Looks like Alex has a real good shot at making into the first round

I'd love to see him on the C's. Then people can stop asking us who we'd cheer for in the playoffs :)

Reaction Score

Winner: UConn guards look sharp​

It's the offseason but Huskies coach Dan Hurley still cannot help his program from collecting Ws. Stephon Castle, Tristen Newton, Cam Spencer and Alex Karaban all had big weeks at the combine. Among the accomplishments were:

• Karaban finishing first in the 3-point star drill, first in shooting off the dribble drill, first in side-mid-side shooting drill
  • Spencer finishing third in the 3-point star drill and second in shooting off the dribble drill

Reaction Score
Been seeing a lot of Twitter talk from Purdue fans complaining that Clingan is mocked much higher than Edey even though Edey is beating him in the physical drills and "destroyed him" in the championship game. Decided to re-watch the game and see how Edey got his points, and put it into the context of the game

Season stats for reference: 25 PPG, 62.3% FG, 71.1% FT on 11 FTA/gm
  • vs. Clingan: 28 points, 12-21 (57.1%) FG, 4-5 FT. 1 on 1 coverage most of the time
  • vs. Samson: 5 points, 1-1 (100%) FG, 3-4 FT. Double teamed most of the time
  • vs. Karaban: 4 points, 2-3 (66.7%) FG. Giving free baskets to run out the clock
First 15 minutes of the game, he was cooking. 16 points on 7-10 shooting. But then he started to get winded, and UConn jumped on that by starting to attack the paint more and more to build a lead

0 points from 5:53 in the first half to 14:16 in the second half. In that stretch, UConn went from up 1 to up double digits. Was a single digit game for only 26 seconds after that point.

1st half 5:53, 16 points on 7-9. 2nd half 14:16, 18 points on 7-15. UConn won the game in that stretch when he went 0-6 because Clingan tired him out

In the last 5 minutes (18 point game), he had 6 on Clingan and 4 on Karaban. All 6 of the Clingan points in the last 3 minutes 27% of his points in garbage time when UConn was giving him layups to run out the clock

Reaction Score
Been seeing a lot of Twitter talk from Purdue fans complaining that Clingan is mocked much higher than Edey even though Edey is beating him in the physical drills and "destroyed him" in the championship game. Decided to re-watch the game and see how Edey got his points, and put it into the context of the game

• vs. Clingan: 28 points, 12-21 (57.1%) FG, 4-5 FT. 1 on 1 coverage most of the time
  • vs. Karaban: 4 points, 2-3 (66.7%) FG. Giving free baskets to run out the clock
First 15 minutes of the game, he was cooking. 16 points on 7-10 shooting. But then he started to get winded, and UConn jumped on that by starting to attack the paint more and more to build a lead

0 points from 5:53 in the first half to 14:16 in the second half. In that stretch, UConn went from up 1 to up double digits. Was a single digit game for only 26 seconds after that point.

1st half 5:53, 16 points on 7-9. 2nd half 14:16, 18 points on 7-15. UConn won the game in that stretch when he went 0-6 because Clingan tired him out

In the last 5 minutes (18 point game), he had 6 on Clingan and 4 on Karaban. All 6 of the Clingan points in the last 3 minutes 27% of his points in garbage time when UConn was giving him layups to run out the clock
Clingan was also in foul trouble in the 2nd half and wasn't playing as tough defense as he was before. I think Clingan did an great job using his length to make it hard for Edey to score.

Reaction Score

You saved me some work. I was planning on debunking the Edey myth from the game with the game film and this summarized what I recall.

Reaction Score
Been seeing a lot of Twitter talk from Purdue fans complaining that Clingan is mocked much higher than Edey even though Edey is beating him in the physical drills and "destroyed him" in the championship game.
Purdoody's championship window has just slammed shut with nothing to show for it, and their fans are going to be salty for a long time.

Both players will get drafted, and they will have their battles in the NBA. I would bet on Clingan having the better career, but if that doesn't happen then I'll be fine. We are 2-time defending champs baby!

But their fans have nothing to hang their hats on apart from historic losses to 15- and 16-seeds and a humiliating beatdown on national TV. Every perceived slight just adds to the pain. Really glad I'm not one of them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom