NBA agreement reached | The Boneyard

NBA agreement reached

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does this mean Andre Drummond for two years?
Cannot find any info regarding minimum age to play in the NBA in this new deal, but it certainly does seem that 20 may become the minimum age. Have to wait for more details to come out.

Reaction Score
That would, IMO, be a shame.
Love Drummond, but taking 15 or so million out of his pocket for whatever reason the NBA has to restrict people based on age does not sit well with me.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
That would, IMO, be a shame.
Love Drummond, but taking 15 or so million out of his pocket for whatever reason the NBA has to restrict people based on age does not sit well with me.
they should allow kids straight out of high school to go if they want, otherwise the 20 age limit is fine if they go to college

Reaction Score
they should allow kids straight out of high school to go if they want, otherwise the 20 age limit is fine if they go to college
We've certainly gone all over this topic on this board, and everybody has a different opinion, to be sure.
My opinion is that there should be no absolute restrictions on any employment based on age. Any man who has reached the age of 18 should be able to make up his own mind, and take his own risks, and earn his own success, and deal with his own failures.
I find the argument that we're protecting them from themselves to be completely specious and self-serving.
There are a fixed number of spots in the NBA. If some 18 y.o. HS grad wants to try to make the jump, or a freshman in college, or a sophomore in college, or a junior, or senior, or 5th year, or red shirt, let 'em. If they don't make it, then a spot opens up for some other kid.
The real reasons for those who want an age limit are this:

NBA players - artificial coerced reduction of competition, increase worth and longevity. More money.
NBA owners - reduce risk of having a Kwame Brown experience. Have players come in with 1 or 2 years of college exposure, thereby having a greater immediate marketing impact (think Oden or Rose). More money.
NCAA - artificial coerced participation of those who would otherwise skip college. Forced participation for 1 or 2 years means that the biggest of the big names are in their arenas for a year or two (think Bryant, James, Dawkins). More money.
Fans - coerce young men into spending one or two years playing for the fans' enjoyment. More enjoyment.
Schools - coerce young men who could be worth millions a year into playing for 50 grand a year for two years - much more money.

All at the expense of a young man's ability to choose what he wants for himself.

Reaction Score
The plain fact is that, in any draft, the number of players who are "NBA ready" to impact their respective teams is very small. So, in point of fact, owners are paying preposterous salaries to train employees and more than acceptable number of those "trainees" are not going to meet expectations commensurate with their salaries. That is a poor model for any business. I have no problem whatsovever with the age limit being pushed to 20 and, preferrably, to 21. Certainly the college game would benefit competitively. The players would benefit on and off the court for a wide variety of reasons. And the NBA would certainly get a better return on their, eventual, investment. Protecting rights is not and never should be a concern. And,fyi, age restrictions are among many significant issues, including rookie salary structure, that are still being negotiated before deal is completely done. Nothing still being negotiated is viewed as a deal breaker.

GO HUSKIES!!! BEAT FLORIDA STATE!!!

Reaction Score
The plain fact is that, in any draft, the number of players who are "NBA ready" to impact their respective teams is very small. So, in point of fact, owners are paying preposterous salaries to train employees and more than acceptable number of those "trainees" are not going to meet expectations commensurate with their salaries. That is a poor model for any business. I have no problem whatsovever with the age limit being pushed to 20 and, preferrably, to 21. Certainly the college game would benefit competitively. The players would benefit on and off the court for a wide variety of reasons. And the NBA would certainly get a better return on their, eventual, investment. Protecting rights is not and never should be a concern. And,fyi, age restrictions are among many significant issues, including rookie salary structure, that are still being negotiated before deal is completely done. Nothing still being negotiated is viewed as a deal breaker.

GO HUSKIES!!! BEAT FLORIDA STATE!!!

With no age limit, teams are forced to draft on potential. As mentioned above, that's a poor business model. If kids can come out at any age, then let teams cut them with loss of salary if they prove not able to compete. That would let the LeBrons play, but keep the marginal players in school.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
If you can die for your country at age 18, I think you should be able to play professional basketball.

Reaction Score
Does this mean Andre Drummond for two years?

Who cares - not about Andre, about the NBA coming to an agreement? College hoops was fine without it!!

Reaction Score
So, in point of fact, owners are paying preposterous salaries to train employees and more than acceptable number of those "trainees" are not going to meet expectations commensurate with their salaries. That is a poor model for any business.
You seem to prefer the Standard Oil model, where competition is limited through collusion.

NBA owners have the right to hire or not hire whoever they want. They have the right to pay whatever they want, within their own contract.

Your opinion seems to be that they should be helped to make better decisions by removing the right of young men to make their own choices.

That's not "business" as I understand it. That's collusion. That's monopoly. That's market fixing. That's rigging the system to injure the young players to afford profit to the owners and the NCAA and the Universities.

Not business.

Reaction Score
With no age limit, teams are forced to draft on potential. As mentioned above, that's a poor business model. If kids can come out at any age, then let teams cut them with loss of salary if they prove not able to compete. That would let the LeBrons play, but keep the marginal players in school.
1st - nobody is forced to draft on anything. They make their own choices.
2nd - I agree that no owners should be forced into guaranteed contracts, but, it is a monopoly, after all. If owners want the right to own players via the draft, then they shouldn't be surprised when the players unionize and demand guaranteed contracts.

The fairest way to do it, of course, would be to end the collusion and allow teams to make offers to any player at any time, with only that individual's contractual obligations to fetter the deal.

I.E. Drummond comes out and offers his services. 12 teams make him offers. He picks where he wants to go.

Reaction Score
If you can die for your country at age 18, I think you should be able to play professional basketball.
You can enlist at 17 with parental permission. There absolutely should NOT be an age limit for playing a game. The only limit should be talent. If they don't sign you, college should be a viable option, and scholarships available. If you didn't make it, you aren't a professional.

Reaction Score
A 20 year age limit would be great for the NBA and College, I'm all for it. A player can play professionally in all sorts of other leagues just not the NBA, I don't see the big deal. The NBA is doing their best to improve the league and a 20 year age limit is another good step in making it a better product.

Reaction Score
A 20 year age limit would be great for the NBA and College.
No doubt, they make more money.
A player can play professionally in all sorts of other leagues just not the NBA, I don't see the big deal.
Perhaps if you were told you have to leave the country to get a job because you're too young and the jobs in other countries pay 1/5 of what you could make here . . . . ;)
The NBA is doing their best to improve the league . . .
The NBA is a corporation. It does everything it can to make more money. It's got zero to do with improving the league, even if we accept your premise that the league can be made better by excluding talent.
Be very clear about this - if the NBA could double their money by having chimps dressed in clown clothes running around the court throwing bananas to the crowd during the game, in addition to the 10 players and the refs, then you'd better bring your banana-catching gloves with you when you go to a game.

Money. It's all about money, and it's got nothing to do with what's "good for" the NBA, unless by "good for" you mean "more money."

Reaction Score
For those who are interested, an agreement between players and owners has been reached, but not everything in the collective bargaining agreement has been settled. Draft age restrictions is amongst one of those issues still to be settled.

Link

This article claims that the age will either stay the same or be bumped up to 20. It will likely be settled relatively soon.

Reaction Score
Improving the league and making money go hand in hand. You put out a better product you get more fans you gain more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom