Navy's Tago Smith hurt | The Boneyard

Navy's Tago Smith hurt

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Supposedly they pulled a freshman out of the stands to replace him??? Insane.

Reaction Score
Supposedly they pulled a freshman out of the stands to replace him??? Insane.

Before rumors go too crazy, his backup was on the sidelines and destroyed the Fordham D. At the time of the injury, they pulled their third stringer out of the stands to go suit up. He is the JV starter and played in the Navy JV game yesterday. When the game was out of reach, they pulled the backup QB and put in the third stringer. I watched the game and this is how it played out according to the announcers. (I didn't know schools had JV teams, but that was the official Navy report.)

Reaction Score
Is he well enough to play against UConn?
I would doubt it, but we'll see. Either way, I didn't see any drop-off with the backup. Fordham was incapable of stopping the triple option.

Reaction Score
@gene_wang's Tweet:

#NavyFootball Coach Ken Niumatalolo was in tears when asked about Tago Smith's status. Read into that what you will. Nothing definitive yet.

Reaction Score
He was on crutches at the end of the game so I think it's safe to say he won't be available next week.

Reaction Score
Before rumors go too crazy, his backup was on the sidelines and destroyed the Fordham D. At the time of the injury, they pulled their third stringer out of the stands to go suit up. He is the JV starter and played in the Navy JV game yesterday. When the game was out of reach, they pulled the backup QB and put in the third stringer. I watched the game and this is how it played out according to the announcers. (I didn't know schools had JV teams, but that was the official Navy report.)
I can't believe a D1 football team has a JV team as well. DO they play against other programs like HS JV teams do?

Reaction Score
I can't believe a D1 football team has a JV team as well. DO they play against other programs like HS JV teams do?

The academies are weird. They also have a prep school type team where a lot of players will go before they officially enroll. They lose a lot of recruits during that period when the kids realize they don't actually want to be in the military.

The reason the academies have JV teams and hundreds of players on the roster is that you're required to do either club or varsity sports.

Reaction Score
Can we get an update on Tommy Hopkins?

Thinking tomorrow's conference call (if scheduled)? Everything I have seen from local media is lower leg injury unknown extent. Not sure what access to HCBD they have had since yesterday.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Army does have one of those sprint FB teams like Post does right?

Does UNC still have a JV basketball
team?

Reaction Score
Some of the Ivies and the Academies always had 150 lb. teams that competed against each other. Wonder if that is a possibility?

It's called Sprint Football. The weight limits and height limits are more of a guideline. Army does it, and and a bunch of Ivy's and other small colleges in northeast corridor.

Reaction Score
It's called Sprint Football. The weight limits and height limits are more of a guideline. Army does it, and and a bunch of Ivy's and other small colleges in northeast corridor.

There's also a body fat percentage max of 5.0% but I find that part absurd. I wish there were adult leagues though. It'd give me a reason to get back in shape lol

Reaction Score
I follow Fordham football and their defense has been a weak spot for many years. Their success at the FCS level has come through outscoring the opponents (they actually moved the ball quite well against Navy). Think Fordham defence made Navy's offense look much better than it might actually be.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We'll find out next Saturday, won't we? I hope you're right!

Reaction Score
Thinking tomorrow's conference call (if scheduled)? Everything I have seen from local media is lower leg injury unknown extent. Not sure what access to HCBD they have had since yesterday.

I'm hoping it's something like a knee strain or hyper-extension injury. Fingers crossed for him.

Reaction Score
I follow Fordham football and their defense has been a weak spot for many years. Their success at the FCS level has come through outscoring the opponents (they actually moved the ball quite well against Navy). Think Fordham defence made Navy's offense look much better than it might actually be.

UConNYC
What are your impressions of Moorhead before he left. Do you think he will be up for a big job soon?

I am intrigued by him.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score

its actually not a jv team its almost like a "light squad" weight limits for the whole team, most of the academies have them along with smaller schools who cant field a full blown fball team.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UConNYC
What are your impressions of Moorhead before he left. Do you think he will be up for a big job soon?

I am intrigued by him.

The next time UConn is in the market for a head coach he'll be on the list.

Reaction Score
UConNYC

I am intrigued by him.

Totally turned around Fordham football. Great character and very fun offense. Would love to potentially see him at UConn down the road, but his fate is pretty much tied to what he does at PSU. If PSU succeeds he will be in the running to be the next HC at the likes of BC, SU, UConn, RU. If he is average then your MAC teams and Temple. If he does poorly then he will go back to FCS.

Reaction Score
its actually not a jv team its almost like a "light squad" weight limits for the whole team, most of the academies have them along with smaller schools who cant field a full blown fball team.

Nope. Sprint Football, which you are describing pretty accurately is a completely different sport. They open the season at Cornell on the 17th.

JV team plays a five game schedule: against one juco and some post-grad prep programs, including two against Naval Academy Prep School (NAPS is up in Newport RI).
A lot of plebe and sophmore QBs started camp behind Smith and Worth. You see the co-#3s getting backup and JV time, two more will run the scout offenses, some more will move to slot back, receiver, or defense...

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
You'd think playing Army and Navy 3x in the last two years our D would be as prepared as any to stop the triple option. Hoping to see Levenberry get a lot of burn and plugging a lot of holes next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom