National Title Hype Help | Page 2 | The Boneyard

National Title Hype Help

Reaction Score
Analogy to 2014:

Bazz --> Adams
Boat --> Gilbert
DD --> Larrier
Giffey/Kromah --> Vital/Polley (not exactly the same position, but go with it)
Samuel --> Anderson
2014 frontcourt mess --> 2018 frontcourt mess

None of those individual comparisons is absurd.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
We're UConn dammit! We win championships. That's what we do!

Jalen and Alterique turn into a reasonable facsimile of Kemba and Bazz.
Larrier plays like a cross between Deandre and the senior version of Giffey
Kwintin demoralizes at least two players on every opponent we play with a couple ESPN top 10 dunks. In every damned game.
Vitale plays just a notch better than last year, to make up for his diminished minutes.
We go to Texas on a roll.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Analogy to 2014:

Bazz --> Adams
Boat --> Gilbert
DD --> Larrier
Samuel --> Anderson

It's not the craziest thing, that's what makes it so fun.

If Adams is a top 5-10 national player and has a very good Gilbert as a sidekick, Larrier does the Daniels/Lamb thing, Vital plays his best Giffey/Kromah impersonator ...

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
One of the teams in the tournament will have Mick Cronin has their HC, that automatically eliminates them from winning it all. Therefore you will only be competing with 66 rather than 67 teams.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
One of the teams in the tournament will have Mick Cronin has their HC, that automatically eliminates them from winning it all. Therefore you will only be competing with 66 rather than 67 teams.
That's the spirit.

Reaction Score
The goal every year is to win every game. Unrealistic I know. I coached high school and people would ask me what my goal was for the season . Answer was to win them all. Let's say we played the best team . My goal was to beat them, not keep it close then lose. How can you be successful if your goal is to lose 6 games a year. That means there are 6 games where your goal is to lose. Make sense? And to answer another thread, 15-16 is a bad season for UConn, really bad.

Reaction Score
That's the spirit.
Jalen takes his game to the next level, emerging as a top 10 player in the nation. Terry and Alterique shake the rustiness early with a few close wins against lesser comp before thanksgiving. We have a strong showing in the PK80 winning two games giving us either 2nd or 3rd place in our bracket (assuming we win the first one), that helps us build momentum for the rest of the non conference slate. We finish OOC play and head into January ranked in the Top 25, as we emerge in the AAC, running through the bottom feeders and winning a few key games against WSU and Cincy. As a top 3 seed in AAC tourney we are able to win the opening round game with ease, and beat Cincy in the semis (Suck it Mick) on another buzzer beater by JA (At this point in the running for NPOTY), setting up another match-up with WSU in the finals where we dominate from start to finish as the networks begin to say that "UConn is back". Though we finish the season ranked in the Top 10, we are under seeded again by the committee and receive a modest 5 seed (many will blame it on the conference). After an opening round win over Who gives a care university, we meet 4 seeded _______ (insert overrated New Big East school here) where we yet again prove the Huskies own March. This then sets up a match-up with the top seeded Kentucky Wildcats and Squid. After Kentucky takes an early lead, Jalen and AG take over the second half and UConn upsets them headed to the Elite 8. (After the game Squid blames loss on youth of his team like every year). UConn beats 2nd seeded Arizona handily (since Sean Miller can't make it to a Final Four) to make it into the Final Four. In the Final Four we again face AAC foe Wichita State, (where Mike Aresco's face is everywhere selling his P6 campaign like he's selling Girl Scout cookies) where Jalen and AG become locked up by Coach Marshall's dynamic game plan. This is where TL steps up and goes for 30 (boosting his draft stock sky high) in a huge Huskies OT victory. In the finals, Coach K and Duke with Marvin Bagley and Grayson Allen await. Duke has momentum early building a small lead and taking it into the locker room. Coach Ollie decides to turn up the pressure in the second half going to a full court press. AG is hounding Grayson Allen into turnover after turnover when finally Allen loses it and swings at AG. Allen in ejected (and goes down in Duke lore forever with Laettner) and UConn seizes control into their 5th National Championship.

Postseason-

Coach Ollie signs 6 year extension

Jalen and TL both get drafted in lottery

AG announces he will return for another year in Storrs

Cam Reddish commits to UConn the day following the National Title

#UConnIsBack

You and I think alike!

We didn't have to be realistic right?
You

Reaction Score
Jalen takes his game to the next level, emerging as a top 10 player in the nation. Terry and Alterique shake the rustiness early with a few close wins against lesser comp before thanksgiving. We have a strong showing in the PK80 winning two games giving us either 2nd or 3rd place in our bracket (assuming we win the first one), that helps us build momentum for the rest of the non conference slate. We finish OOC play and head into January ranked in the Top 25, as we emerge in the AAC, running through the bottom feeders and winning a few key games against WSU and Cincy. As a top 3 seed in AAC tourney we are able to win the opening round game with ease, and beat Cincy in the semis (Suck it Mick) on another buzzer beater by JA (At this point in the running for NPOTY), setting up another match-up with WSU in the finals where we dominate from start to finish as the networks begin to say that "UConn is back". Though we finish the season ranked in the Top 10, we are under seeded again by the committee and receive a modest 5 seed (many will blame it on the conference). After an opening round win over Who gives a care university, we meet 4 seeded _______ (insert overrated New Big East school here) where we yet again prove the Huskies own March. This then sets up a match-up with the top seeded Kentucky Wildcats and Squid. After Kentucky takes an early lead, Jalen and AG take over the second half and UConn upsets them headed to the Elite 8. (After the game Squid blames loss on youth of his team like every year). UConn beats 2nd seeded Arizona handily (since Sean Miller can't make it to a Final Four) to make it into the Final Four. In the Final Four we again face AAC foe Wichita State, (where Mike Aresco's face is everywhere selling his P6 campaign like he's selling Girl Scout cookies) where Jalen and AG become locked up by Coach Marshall's dynamic game plan. This is where TL steps up and goes for 30 (boosting his draft stock sky high) in a huge Huskies OT victory. In the finals, Coach K and Duke with Marvin Bagley and Grayson Allen await. Duke has momentum early building a small lead and taking it into the locker room. Coach Ollie decides to turn up the pressure in the second half going to a full court press. AG is hounding Grayson Allen into turnover after turnover when finally Allen loses it and swings at AG. Allen in ejected (and goes down in Duke lore forever with Laettner) and UConn seizes control into their 5th National Championship.

Postseason-

Coach Ollie signs 6 year extension

Jalen and TL both get drafted in lottery

AG announces he will return for another year in Storrs

Cam Reddish commits to UConn the day following the National Title

#UConnIsBack

We didn't have to be realistic right?
Ok so I was going to take a whack at this but, @Wordbomar with the mic drop. Nothing to be done after this.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
The goal every year is to win every game. Unrealistic I know. I coached high school and people would ask me what my goal was for the season . Answer was to win them all. Let's say we played the best team . My goal was to beat them, not keep it close then lose. How can you be successful if your goal is to lose 6 games a year. That means there are 6 games where your goal is to lose. Make sense? And to answer another thread, 15-16 is a bad season for UConn, really bad.

You seem like you'd be much more at home on the women's board.

Reaction Score
We're UConn dammit! We win championships. That's what we do!

Jalen and Alterique turn into a reasonable facsimile of Kemba and Bazz.
Larrier plays like a cross between Deandre and the senior version of Giffey
Kwintin demoralizes at least two players on every opponent we play with a couple ESPN top 10 dunks. In every damned game.
Vitale plays just a notch better than last year, to make up for his diminished minutes.
We go to Texas on a roll.
That team had a nucleus of 3 seniors and 2 juniors that had worked as a team for 3years. That's unusual with high major teams. That experience showed in the tourney.
This team has better guard depth for sure and may be able to pressure more then we have in the past.
I think it will be a fine year

Reaction Score
It's not that far-fetched, but I think you have to start with the fact that there are 351 D-1 teams. That means "realistic" takes on a different meaning than it might in another sport. Realistic could mean 1 in 50. It could mean 1 in 1,000. That part is all subjective - technically, one could argue that I have a realistic chance to be the head coach this season.

That being said, I know what you mean, so I won't make this a semantics war. New Hampshire does not have a realistic shot at the title. South Florida does not have a realistic shot at the title. Of the 351 teams, I'd wager that only 20% or so have what it takes to get half way there (i.e., winning 3 of the 6 games). People who are better at math than me can do the explaining better, but whatever algorithms Vegas uses to spit out odds are synced to some standard deviation that identifies the point at which there is a quantum shift in probability. If we were below that line, you wouldn't have books placing us at 80 to 1 (and I know more contributes to those odds than pure probability), which is good for about 35th in the country. There have been plenty of teams over the last handful of years that have fallen below that threshold and been very much in the championship mix.

A scenario absolutely exists where this team wins the national championship and I'll give you five basketball reasons:

1. Jalen Adams might be the best player in college basketball - I'm serious about this. This is very much in play, and it is something that - even without any other context - is a strong indicator of a team with championship ability.

2. Mamadou Diarra might be the best kept secret in college basketball - Every year, there is a kid like this who is just talented enough to generate interest but not physically imposing or productive enough to merit name recognition. Last year this guy was Josh Patton of Creighton, who, like Diarra, red shirted and then burst onto the scene.

3. Terry Larrier might be a lot better, a lot sooner, than people expect - The potential exists for him to be among the best players in the nation. It is a lot to ask, considering he's coming off major knee surgery and has only played a season and some change, but he fits the prototype of the sort of player that bursts onto the scene as a heralded prospect and then re-surfaces years later as the polished gem everybody thought he was going to be. Think Kris Dunn.

4. Alterique Gilbert and Christian Vital might be the top back court in the AAC - Notice that there is the possibility for our back court to be very good without the guy I just said might be the best player in the country. Gilbert - a McDonald's all-American a year removed from the start of a terrific freshman campaign - boasts a profile in eerie compliance with college basketball's greatest cheat code: small dudes who are supremely talented, not tall enough to go to the NBA, and, because of that handicap, smarter and hungrier than the guys ticketed as freshman phenoms. Vital, following a freshman season that rivaled many UConn greats, tracks as an all-conference type talent moving forward and is built to function as just the low-maintenance shooter and defender that tends to complete a team.

5. Kevin Ollie might finally be coaching the team he wants to coach - This cannot be overstated. The five players I just highlighted compose a unit marked by quickness, skill, and veracity. They will be stung by their limitations in size and experience, but their very presence - at a time when it hasn't been that fun to be a UConn basketball player - communicates an unspoken belief in the system that, for the first time in years, will measure the aggregate of player strength and not weakness.

Last year, I hoped Jalen Adams would be the best player in college basketball. Last year, I hoped Juwan Durham was the best kept secret in college basketball. Last year I hoped Larrier would be Kris Dunn and the seniors would take the reigns and Ollie would adapt. Instead, Adams was a year away, Durham never got off the run-way, the three seniors left unceremoniously, and Ollie jammed the square into the round hole.

But that's sports. Sometimes you call heads five straight times and draw five straight tails'. Hell, I didn't call anything. I just guessed. That's what the bystanders are typically resigned to, though, be it me or the countless number of analysts who won't have the Huskies in their preseason top 25. This year is no different. I have no damn clue what is going to happen. I just know what might happen. And I know that this could happen. The players and the coaches know it to. It's why from them exudes a calm incompatible with the storm of uncertainty that surrounds them. They know something you don't.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Adams & Gilbert & Larrier all play like they have NBA talent, which they may

Vital makes solid contributions on both ends of the court, and leads by example playing incredible hard

Diarra becomes a force in the paint, and I'm not talking about scoring

Everyone else contributes something, a few points, no turnovers, decent D and solid play on the boards (we need a board presence from the posse)

And collectively, they have to play good defense. That's what works best for us.

Do I think we're winning the National Title? No, but we don't need to do that to have a great season. I've learned to enjoy the ride

Did anyone think we were winning the National Title in 2011? C'mon man, many (if not most) posters hated that class that won two titles. I vividly remember the complaints heading into that season.

2014 wasn't much better

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
About 95% of your posts take issue with other posters. Why is that?

This board isn't your safe space. If people are putting their views out there, they should expect that they will receive criticism from others.

The guy you're defending thinks anything less than an undefeated season is a disappointment. If he followed the women's team instead, he would have a much higher chance of his expectations met and therefore be happier.

Reaction Score
It's a shame we didnt just get Sid wilson in the first place. It'd be easier to hype with him

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Analogy to 2014:

Bazz --> Adams
Boat --> Gilbert
DD --> Larrier
Samuel --> Anderson

well then, I guess that's that, eh?

Reaction Score
Analogy to 2014:

Bazz --> Adams
Boat --> Gilbert
DD --> Larrier
Samuel --> Anderson

I posted about the similarities to the 2014 team a few months ago and got slammed for it by the resident know-it-alls. It's not absurd at all and the scary part is this team might be more talented than the 2014 team but obviously less experienced. Hopefully those two things balance each other out and this team puts itself in a position to make a run in March which I think it will.

Reaction Score
I've asked this before so here goes again, has anyone very recently laid eyes on these basketball players scrimmaging, and if so what is an early assessment? Particularly interested in how the bigs look.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom