National Title Hype Help | The Boneyard

National Title Hype Help

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Every year since as far back as I can remember, whether rational or not, I have able to delude myself into coming up with scenarios where I can see UConn winning a national title. Every year without fail.

Some years I am 100% convinced we will win it, some years it is just if X and Y players play to their potential, we have a good shot.

This is the first year in while I am having a hard time making my national title chase argument.

Basically, I need the Yards help in coming up with the scenarios and things that need to fall right for is to have a chance at cutting down the nets.

Help me out here. So much awful negativity (most of it fair or at least somewhat fair) that I need your help in bringing back my withering eternal national championship optimism.

Give it to me Boneyard.

Reaction Score
No problem with the premise even though I am not going to contribute. But it seems to me that if anything, we are a little overly optimistic already.

Reaction Score
In my scenario we have the best back court in the country. In a championship season past, we won with a great backcourt and PN and AO in the front court. Not shabby but not NBA talent. If we can get solid play out of our front court guys, and our backcourt is amongst the best in the counrty, then once again a National Title should be pretty much a lock for us this year.... You said it didnt have to be rational right? lol

Reaction Score
No problem with the premise even though I am not going to contribute. But it seems to me that if anything, we are a little overly optimistic already.

I thought I was posting on the FB thread. I am an idiot. I was bewildered by your optimism during the PP and BD eras. Now for the hoops team, I am always able to concoct a national championship path.

There is a 1 in 100 chance our backcourt is the best in the country. There is a 1 in 200 chance Larrier is the best wing in the country. There is a 1 in 100 chance our front court is above average. If everything breaks right, we are in line for a ship.

Realistically, I think this team has a ton of upside and we know anything can happen in March. A lot of things need to break right, health especially but I would not be surprised at all if this squad is top 20ish if we can get anything out of the front court.

Polley looks like a sleeper to me and no one expects anything from him. We have heard Mama was a beast in practice. Cobb looked a helluva lot better on his tape than anyone expected. Carlton actually has legit footwork and post moves. Onuarah (sp?) is huge.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Jalen takes his game to the next level, emerging as a top 10 player in the nation. Terry and Alterique shake the rustiness early with a few close wins against lesser comp before thanksgiving. We have a strong showing in the PK80 winning two games giving us either 2nd or 3rd place in our bracket (assuming we win the first one), that helps us build momentum for the rest of the non conference slate. We finish OOC play and head into January ranked in the Top 25, as we emerge in the AAC, running through the bottom feeders and winning a few key games against WSU and Cincy. As a top 3 seed in AAC tourney we are able to win the opening round game with ease, and beat Cincy in the semis (Suck it Mick) on another buzzer beater by JA (At this point in the running for NPOTY), setting up another match-up with WSU in the finals where we dominate from start to finish as the networks begin to say that "UConn is back". Though we finish the season ranked in the Top 10, we are under seeded again by the committee and receive a modest 5 seed (many will blame it on the conference). After an opening round win over Who gives a care university, we meet 4 seeded _______ (insert overrated New Big East school here) where we yet again prove the Huskies own March. This then sets up a match-up with the top seeded Kentucky Wildcats and Squid. After Kentucky takes an early lead, Jalen and AG take over the second half and UConn upsets them headed to the Elite 8. (After the game Squid blames loss on youth of his team like every year). UConn beats 2nd seeded Arizona handily (since Sean Miller can't make it to a Final Four) to make it into the Final Four. In the Final Four we again face AAC foe Wichita State, (where Mike Aresco's face is everywhere selling his P6 campaign like he's selling Girl Scout cookies) where Jalen and AG become locked up by Coach Marshall's dynamic game plan. This is where TL steps up and goes for 30 (boosting his draft stock sky high) in a huge Huskies OT victory. In the finals, Coach K and Duke with Marvin Bagley and Grayson Allen await. Duke has momentum early building a small lead and taking it into the locker room. Coach Ollie decides to turn up the pressure in the second half going to a full court press. AG is hounding Grayson Allen into turnover after turnover when finally Allen loses it and swings at AG. Allen in ejected (and goes down in Duke lore forever with Laettner) and UConn seizes control into their 5th National Championship.

Postseason-

Coach Ollie signs 6 year extension

Jalen and TL both get drafted in lottery

AG announces he will return for another year in Storrs

Cam Reddish commits to UConn the day following the National Title

#UConnIsBack

We didn't have to be realistic right?

JonnyRI

Reaction Score
Jalen takes his game to the next level, emerging as a top 10 player in the nation. Terry and Alterique shake the rustiness early with a few close wins against lesser comp before thanksgiving. We have a strong showing in the PK80 winning two games giving us either 2nd or 3rd place in our bracket (assuming we win the first one), that helps us build momentum for the rest of the non conference slate. We finish OOC play and head into January ranked in the Top 25, as we emerge in the AAC, running through the bottom feeders and winning a few key games against WSU and Cincy. As a top 3 seed in AAC tourney we are able to win the opening round game with ease, and beat Cincy in the semis (Suck it Mick) on another buzzer beater by JA (At this point in the running for NPOTY), setting up another match-up with WSU in the finals where we dominate from start to finish as the networks begin to say that "UConn is back". Though we finish the season ranked in the Top 10, we are under seeded again by the committee and receive a modest 5 seed (many will blame it on the conference). After an opening round win over Who gives a care university, we meet 4 seeded _______ (insert overrated New Big East school here) where we yet again prove the Huskies own March. This then sets up a match-up with the top seeded Kentucky Wildcats and Squid. After Kentucky takes an early lead, Jalen and AG take over the second half and UConn upsets them headed to the Elite 8. (After the game Squid blames loss on youth of his team like every year). UConn beats 2nd seeded Arizona handily (since Sean Miller can't make it to a Final Four) to make it into the Final Four. In the Final Four we again face AAC foe Wichita State, (where Mike Aresco's face is everywhere selling his P6 campaign like he's selling Girl Scout cookies) where Jalen and AG become locked up by Coach Marshall's dynamic game plan. This is where TL steps up and goes for 30 (boosting his draft stock sky high) in a huge Huskies OT victory. In the finals, Coach K and Duke with Marvin Bagley and Grayson Allen await. Duke has momentum early building a small lead and taking it into the locker room. Coach Ollie decides to turn up the pressure in the second half going to a full court press. AG is hounding Grayson Allen into turnover after turnover when finally Allen loses it and swings at AG. Allen in ejected (and goes down in Duke lore forever with Laettner) and UConn seizes control into their 5th National Championship.

Postseason-

#UConnIsBack

That's what I was looking for. The Grayson Allen touch sealed it. I can see it happening in my mind. I love it.

JonnyRI

Reaction Score
If Kemba could do it... JA and Co can do it
I would kill for Jalen to show up with the "fudge you rest of the country" that Kemba and especially bazz had. Make me believe!

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score

Postseason-

#UConnIsBack

I could snap it to this post.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
We'll have a realistically good season and the recruiting will pick up about mid - late season. Thats not impossible.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

Postseason-

#UConnIsBack

This is F'in tremendous.

Reaction Score
OK here it is.
Jalen scores 18 per game
Gilbert scores 16
Larrier scores 20
Vital scores 14
That's 68 points per game and the front court and rest of the team only has to come up with 12 points, 4 guys scoring 3 points each totaling 80. Who's gonna beat us?

JonnyRI

Reaction Score
OK here it is.
Jalen scores 18 per game
Gilbert scores 16
Larrier scores 20
Vital scores 14
That's 68 points per game and the front court and rest of the team only has to come up with 12 points, 4 guys scoring 3 points each totaling 80. Who's gonna beat us?
Nobody. 39-0

Reaction Score
JA=Kemba
AG=Boat
Vital=Giffey
Larrier=Daniels
Five spot standin=Five spot standin (TO/PN)

It works! We just lost a 4-5 inches at the 3/4 but got a bit faster.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If an all-American, NPOY candidate emerges then any team has a shot at the title. We have a number of guys who could emerge, but it is u likely they will because it means taking a huge leap which few kids do.

If JA starts hitting 3's, driving at will and hitting from the line, he could be that guy.

Kemba, Shabazz, Rip, Ray, Ben, even Boat could all get their shot any time they wanted. The first three would make most of them when they needed to. Okafor was a little different in that he made plays other than just scoring. (See Duke semi)

If you have that then you can win provided you don't have other glaring weaknesses. In 2014, it was rebounding, but Giffey, Daniels and Napier picked up the slack for Brimah and Nolan.

pj

Reaction Score
Dwayne Killings turns out to be the nation's best big man coach, and our young bigs mature into top defenders. Jalen, Alterique, Terry, Christian, and Antwoine develop great chemistry on the perimeter. The team is injury free. KO steps up his X's and O's game with support from Calhoun during the tourney. In the last 3 games, we shoot like Villanova '85.

If all these happen, we have a chance.

Reaction Score
It's not crazy, but we can't have injuries of any substance to our major players.

Reaction Score

Postseason-

#UConnIsBack

Best Post Ever.

(besides my post about KO's bulge)

Reaction Score
Every year since as far back as I can remember, whether rational or not, I have able to delude myself into coming up with scenarios where I can see UConn winning a national title. Every year without fail.

Some years I am 100% convinced we will win it, some years it is just if X and Y players play to their potential, we have a good shot.

This is the first year in while I am having a hard time making my national title chase argument.

Basically, I need the Yards help in coming up with the scenarios and things that need to fall right for is to have a chance at cutting down the nets.

Help me out here. So much awful negativity (most of it fair or at least somewhat fair) that I need your help in bringing back my withering eternal national championship optimism.

Give it to me Boneyard.
Back court is great. Bigs pound boards. Top teams in brackets lose a game or two. We win Natl Championship. A friend of mine has already bet $250 at 125 - 1.

Reaction Score

Postseason-

#UConnIsBack

There is no topping that reply. Pin it and lock it up

Reaction Score

Postseason-

#UConnIsBack

Love this! With all due respect I think it's more likely that Grayson trips AG, but that's splitting hairs. Let's go!

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
We're going to need Alterique and Larrier to stay healthy, and somebody to step up in the front court. If those things happen, we're going to be a damn good team.

Reaction Score
Free throws. We need to be in the top 10 in free throw % and top 25 in attempts. That's a key part to our recipe.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom