National Player of the Year candidates not named Zach Edey | The Boneyard

National Player of the Year candidates not named Zach Edey

Reaction Score

Donovan Clingan, UConn

The parallels between Edey and Clingan go well beyond the fact that they are both over seven feet tall. Much like Edey split time with Trevion Williams at center during the 2021-22 season, Clingan split time with Adama Sanogo at center for the Huskies during their national title run last year.

But now that Sanogo is gone, the runway is clear for Clingan to take off and dominate college basketball.

In just 13.1 minutes per game last season, Clingan averaged 6.9 points, 5.6 rebounds and 1.8 blocks on 65.5% shooting. He should at least double his playing time in the season ahead and become a focal point of UConn's offense amid the departures of Sanogo and top perimeter weapon Jordan Hawkins. While it's unlikely that Clingan will surge all the way to Edey's 2022-23 average of 22.3 points per game, he is a better rim protector than Edey and positioned to potentially lead the nation in blocks. If he can replicate Edey's foul-averse tendencies and maintain his conditioning, Clingan will find himself in the running for all sorts of postseason honors, including National Player of the Year. -- David Cobb

Reaction Score

Donovan Clingan, UConn

The parallels between Edey and Clingan go well beyond the fact that they are both over seven feet tall. Much like Edey split time with Trevion Williams at center during the 2021-22 season, Clingan split time with Adama Sanogo at center for the Huskies during their national title run last year.

But now that Sanogo is gone, the runway is clear for Clingan to take off and dominate college basketball.

In just 13.1 minutes per game last season, Clingan averaged 6.9 points, 5.6 rebounds and 1.8 blocks on 65.5% shooting. He should at least double his playing time in the season ahead and become a focal point of UConn's offense amid the departures of Sanogo and top perimeter weapon Jordan Hawkins. While it's unlikely that Clingan will surge all the way to Edey's 2022-23 average of 22.3 points per game, he is a better rim protector than Edey and positioned to potentially lead the nation in blocks. If he can replicate Edey's foul-averse tendencies and maintain his conditioning, Clingan will find himself in the running for all sorts of postseason honors, including National Player of the Year. -- David Cobb

I haven't been this excited about a Husky's breakout year since the summer of '10

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

Donovan Clingan, UConn

In just 13.1 minutes per game last season, Clingan averaged 6.9 points, 5.6 rebounds and 1.8 blocks on 65.5% shooting. He should at least double his playing time in the season ahead and become a focal point of UConn's offense
Based on this, would you all be happy with 14 pts, 11 rbs and 3 blks on 26 minutes a game from Clingan? Is that too much to ask approximately doubling every category? Do you expect more?

I would say 15pts, 10 rbs and 2.5 blcks in about 25 minutes - not sure he can go longer at his size considering the effort he puts out when on the court.

Reaction Score
I would say 15pts, 10 rbs and 2.5 blcks in about 25 minutes - not sure he can go longer at his size considering the effort he puts out when on the court.
Its as if i wrote that comment myself. Spot on.

Reaction Score
Based on this, would you all be happy with 14 pts, 11 rbs and 3 blks on 26 minutes a game from Clingan? Is that too much to ask approximately doubling every category? Do you expect more?

I expect more than 14 ppg and 26 mpg. Part of learning to be a star is learning how to give a little less effort per minute to allow oneself to play more minutes.

Reaction Score
I think just doubling stats based on playing time is slightly ignorant. He has another year of offseason training under his belt, plus as a starter, Clingan is going to get more designed plays and post ups. I think 16+ ppg and 10+ rpg is in play. Wouldn’t be surprised at 18 and 12 either.

Reaction Score
I think just doubling stats based on playing time is slightly ignorant. He has another year of offseason training under his belt, plus as a starter, Clingan is going to get more designed plays and post ups. I think 16+ ppg and 10+ rpg is in play. Wouldn’t be surprised at 18 and 12 either.
That's pretty optimistic. Anyone know how many college centers have averaged at least 18 and 12 in college in the last 25 years? I bet not many.

UConn has so many offensive options that I don't think anyone on the team will average over 16 ppg.

Reaction Score
That's pretty optimistic. Anyone know how many college centers have averaged at least 18 and 12 in college in the last 25 years? I bet not many.

UConn has so many offensive options that I don't think anyone on the team will average over 16 ppg.
I mean Adama averaged 17 on a National championship team. DC, although certainly less refined, is about 7 inches taller. Adama didn’t really get lob baskets, Clingan can probably get 3 of those per game.

And as a preference, 18-12 is on my high end projection, I just think it is possible with his skill development and size.

Reaction Score

It's happened 16 times this century, including Edey last year. So not impossible but highly unlikely

IMG_4995.jpeg

Reaction Score
It's happened 16 times this century, including Edey last year. So not impossible but highly unlikely

View attachment 91554
Thanks. More times than I figured. I guess I didn't think about all the low and mid majors that did it that I wasn't as cognizant of.

I think the 12 rebounds will be more attainable than the 18 points. I just think there's so many capable scorers on the team that we won't have a dominant scorer like Edey. Which IMHO is a good thing.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
18 points is a lot for a guy who hasn’t proven he can self create consistently. And has to show he can hit free throws, considering how much he’ll be hacked.

Still thinking something like 14-12-4 on great efficiency offensively, while being the most impactful defender in the country is actually within reason.

His ceiling offensively will be determined by his post creation/passing, and his jumper. If those areas developed into weapons, we’re talking national player of the year contender.

Reaction Score
Edey would trade another POY award for a national championship - He may get less minutes this year because Trey Kaufman Renn will add another dimension to the 5 spot for Purdue this season -

Reaction Score
Based on last year's stats, I'll go with the 'over' in terms of 2024 predictions re Donovan. Adama was 17.2 points and 7.7 rb. I'll go with 18 points, 11 rb, 3 blocks, and 2.5 assists per game, if he plays 26 minutes per game factoring in foul trouble games. I bet he has a couple 20 point 20 rebound 5 block games in the body of work. If the big games occur in center stage games and the team performs to it's top 10 potential, he will be in the player of the year conversation.

Reasoning:

In terms of scoring average last year and potential this year, keep in mind Clingan left points on the table at the line shooting 45 of 87 for 51%, on 171 total shots. Adama was 98 of 128 for (76.6%) in many more minutes and 402 two point shots from the field. If Clingan gets utilized in the post as much as Adama, he is going to get fouled with a ton more calls than Adama got. Donovan's foul shooting percentage is going to be a key to his scoring average. In a full healthy year I bet he closes in on 175 attempts. He shot over 70% from the line until his last growth spurt which changed his release point and the size of the ball in his hands. I'm hoping for at least an improvement to 65% or 'hack a Shaq' might be in play.

From the floor, I think lobs to him will be numerous even though back to the basket isolations will be less than Adama. I bet the net is turns out to be close to Adama overall at 380 to 400 attempts.

Adama was 19 for 52 from 3 point land. Expectations have been stated that Clingan will take 1-2 per game as well.

Both players averages are impacted by team pace of play and by the quality of other scoring options. I think that will be a wash.

Adama got excellent assists in the tournament to Andre and ended with 51 assists, I think teams will send a second defender to Clingan and he will get 2-3 assists per game from the outset as a result, even though he only had 18 in 39 games last year.

It surprised me that Adama only had 32 blocks last year. Clingan had 70 in half the playing time. That number will go way over 100 blocks

Rebounds were 299 Adama to 219 Clingan. Clingan should significant exceed Adama based on the offensive boards where Adama got 102 but Clingan got 86 in far less time. He may have shot 65% from the field but he also rebounds and converts a ton of his own misses. I also think that is where he gets fouled a ton.

Reaction Score
18 points is a lot for a guy who hasn’t proven he can self create consistently. And has to show he can hit free throws, considering how much he’ll be hacked.

Still thinking something like 14-12-4 on great efficiency offensively, while being the most impactful defender in the country is actually within reason.

His ceiling offensively will be determined by his post creation/passing, and his jumper. If those areas developed into weapons, we’re talking national player of the year contender.
I understand your point. He hasn't shown that he can create like Sanogo, or Okafor, though he may not need to create to score points (he may, however, show a huge improvent in creation this year: we can expect that actually).
He will lead the team in offensive rebounds and with that comes put backs. I foresee that being a big part of his game. Also, our guards and ball handlers will create opportunities for him.
I also agree with you that if he improves his FT% it will go a long way.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

I agree we need to be cautious in projecting out his per-minute production to 25-30 minutes.

I'm keeping my expectations relatively low. Which I think 14 & 11 is. I wouldn't be thrilled with that, but I'd be satisfied with it.

Reaction Score
I cannot stress enough how much better Clingan is than Edey.
I didn’t see Purdue play last year since they got bounced so early. Would be interesting if folks could compare/contrast their skill/games. My assumption is Eden, though bigger is much slower and less mobile. What else? Thx

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I understand your point. He hasn't shown that he can create like Sanogo, or Okafor, though he may not need to create to score points.
But I think he'll need to self-create some to take us to the heights.

Reaction Score

View attachment 91554
Notably, the majority of these also occurred in significantly weaker conferences than the Big East. Looks like only 4 or 5 happened in major conferences.

Also, man that Michael Beasley season was crazy

Reaction Score
I didn’t see Purdue play last year since they got bounced so early. Would be interesting if folks could compare/contrast their skill/games. My assumption is Eden, though bigger is much slower and less mobile. What else? Thx
Lateral movement in the paint is what teams used to exploit Edey in the tourney. They sent little guards inside to force him to move. It worked. Clingan is more mobile but... If he puts up Edey-esque #s this year I'd be thrilled.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom