National Player of the Year candidates not named Zach Edey | Page 2 | The Boneyard

National Player of the Year candidates not named Zach Edey

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
100% I expect it with his growth and the extra minutes.
I agree. Last year, it seemed to me he rushed things when he had chances down low. You have to figure the game will be slowing down for him with the added PT.

Reaction Score
It's happened 16 times this century, including Edey last year. So not impossible but highly unlikely

View attachment 91554
Here's what I know: Sanogo could not pass on year 1 and he could not hit anything but a lay up and/or dunk. By the end, he was a nice low block passer (not excellent, but a nice passer) and we all saw him hit outside shots with more frequency. This shows me that these players respond to the coaching they are getting....and they improve. With that said, DC has more tools. He should be markedly better this year, particularly if the rest of the team is as good as I think they are. He should have wide open room in the low block if we surround 4 shooters around him. Boy, this can be nice!

Reaction Score
Here's what I know: Sanogo could not pass on year 1 and he could not hit anything but a lay up and/or dunk. By the end, he was a nice low block passer (not excellent, but a nice passer) and we all saw him hit outside shots with more frequency. This shows me that these players respond to the coaching they are getting....and they improve. With that said, DC has more tools. He should be markedly better this year, particularly if the rest of the team is as good as I think they are. He should have wide open room in the low block if we surround 4 shooters around him. Boy, this can be nice!
Adama improved so much in 3 years it’s hard to fathom. We’re going to miss him more than we think. DC is a different type of player, and certainly has potential, but we’re still going to have to wait and see what we get. My main worry is too many quick fouls. Hoping he’s more mature than the usual young big. I think facing Adama all year was a huge plus though.

Reaction Score

Donovan Clingan, UConn

The parallels between Edey and Clingan go well beyond the fact that they are both over seven feet tall. Much like Edey split time with Trevion Williams at center during the 2021-22 season, Clingan split time with Adama Sanogo at center for the Huskies during their national title run last year.

But now that Sanogo is gone, the runway is clear for Clingan to take off and dominate college basketball.

In just 13.1 minutes per game last season, Clingan averaged 6.9 points, 5.6 rebounds and 1.8 blocks on 65.5% shooting. He should at least double his playing time in the season ahead and become a focal point of UConn's offense amid the departures of Sanogo and top perimeter weapon Jordan Hawkins. While it's unlikely that Clingan will surge all the way to Edey's 2022-23 average of 22.3 points per game, he is a better rim protector than Edey and positioned to potentially lead the nation in blocks. If he can replicate Edey's foul-averse tendencies and maintain his conditioning, Clingan will find himself in the running for all sorts of postseason honors, including National Player of the Year. -- David Cobb

Kinda weird how that article only included bigs.

My non-bigs:

Tyler Kolek
Wade Taylor IV

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Kinda weird how that article only included bigs.

My non-bigs:

Tyler Kolek
Wade Taylor IV
Is Taylor really on the same level as Kolek? I wasn’t blown away the couple times I watched him, but admittedly it was only a couple times…

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom