• Win the next 2 NCAA National Championships

Votes: 145 51.4%
  • Receive an invite to the ACC

Votes: 137 48.6%

• Total voters

pj

Reaction Score
F the ACC, we win and everything takes care of itself

We win two more titles, the Big 10 comes knocking and that's more money than the ACC that did everything in their power to destroy us

The Big 10 will come knocking if UConn fits the profile of a Big 10 university. That means upgrading research into the top tier, and strong fan support for athletics. The former isn't likely given the state's budget troubles and declining demographics and economy, and the latter looks suspect with the lack of sellouts for football and basketball.

But I empathize, I'd love to see the ACC lose the whole Northeast corridor by giving up on UConn in favor of the second best program in northern Kentucky.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This poll isn’t a fantasy?

of course it is but nobody believes the poll. people actually believe the big ten thing

Curiouser
Reaction Score
of course it is but nobody believes the poll. people actually believe the big ten thing
Of course the Big Ten is never going to come calling, silly; but only because we are already going to be in the Pac 12 by then.

Reaction Score
Said Syracuse

You think that we're on par with Syracuse? We have tradition, facilities, champions with both men and women and I think a better coaching situation.

All things being equal, if Uconn gets into the ACC, we'll eclipse all of the former BE legacy programs and some of the traditional ACC programs.

Bank it. I hope it happens. Trust me, Pitt, Cuse, BC, and the rest know this.

Every non P5 school is slowly getting squeezed out of favorable tourney brackets, pairings and officiating.

pj

Reaction Score
You think that we're on par with Syracuse? We have tradition, facilities, champions with both men and women and I think a better coaching situation.

All things being equal, if Uconn gets into the ACC, we'll eclipse all of the former BE legacy programs and some of the traditional ACC programs.

Bank it. I hope it happens. Trust me, Pitt, Cuse, BC, and the rest know this.

Every non P5 school is slowly getting squeezed out of favorable tourney brackets, pairings and officiating.

If Pitt, Cuse, and BC know this, why would they allow UConn into the ACC?

Reaction Score
If Pitt, Cuse, and BC know this, why would they allow UConn into the ACC?

Unfortunately. I think this is why we don't get in unless the Irish decide to bring us to the party.

Reactions: pj

pj

Reaction Score
Unfortunately. I think this is why we don't get in unless the Irish decide to bring us to the party.

This is about the size of it. To get into the ACC we need Notre Dame to join. To get into the Big Ten we need the university to progress in a way that the state can't afford to fund. The B12 is the best shot for a conference upgrade.

Reaction Score
F the ACC, we win and everything takes care of itself

We win two more titles, the Big 10 comes knocking and that's more money than the ACC that did everything in their power to destroy us
This is one of the funniest things I have ever read here.

Reaction Score
Quick, who played for the NC in 1997? Exactly.
Being in the ACC would guarantee UConn AD, long-term stability.
Winning NC's in this Mickey Mouse conference means nothing after a number of years.
If the P5 decides to ditch the NCAA, no one will give a hot danm about a couple of "extra" NC's, won in the waning days of the NCAA. It'd be like those prestigious NC's won by NYU, CCNY, et al...in the old NIT. Essentially meaningless.
I want my grandkids to watch UConn basketball on the biggest stage, thriving and surviving. Joining a P5 is the only way that happens down the road. It scuks that's the case, but it is what it is.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Arizona vs Kentucky played in 1997. I remember it because the next year in April, SI magazine had a blurb on the funny Tucson paper that the day after Kentucky won the ‘98 title announced that Arizona had stopped a dynasty. Weird stuff that sticks with me.

All that said, two titles guarantees happiness for awhile. But not forever. Butler played in back-to-back title games but lost their coach to the NBA. And they might have been really screwed but they parleyed their success into a better league and payday (twice over actually).

This is one of those “give a man a fish, feed him for a day; teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime” scenarios. Being the most successful basketball college of the 21st century wasn’t enough to go from 2014 to the edge of the abyss in a nanosecond. The best way to leverage your title-winning past into the future is to have a schedule with Duke and UNC and UVA and Syracuse for the next 50 years. Titles are great and the ultimate and all that, but the promise of titles is what keeps us as fans sane.

Reaction Score
Agree. But I'd rather kick that can down the road a bit and win the next two nattys while doing so.

I mean, if we win two of the next five – forget about two in a row – we have six in 25 years. That's the most dominant stretch in the sport since UCLA, and will come just as CR is being discussed again, and will have happened under three different coaches (which proves that the program isn't just about one guy), and given those parameters I like our chances of getting a seat at the grown-ups table.

Plus I have old relatives who'd love to see another title or two before they croak. That beats out the admittedly far superior regular season schedule we'd play in the ACC, Big 10 or Big East.

Oh and ALSO, just imagine how much it would make Cuse, Duke, UNC, Georgetown, Indiana, UK, Kansas etc eat their own livers if we won two more out of the AAC. It would be HILARIOUS and I'm here for it.

Plus, with two more only Kentucky and UCLA would have more titles. Get football stabilized and the ACC or B1G may want us for the regional ratings, especially in New England, NY and NJ. BC and Rutgers sure aren't adding very many viewers outside Chestnut Hill and Pissscataway.

Reaction Score
Syracuse plays zone as their primary defensive strategy they have done incredibly given what they are working with there. They just don't win titles. Why can't we be objective here...

They've done incredibly? Do you mean the last couple tournaments? If so, it's the zone that helped them do well because so few teams have any meaningful experience playing against a zone.

Reaction Score
We are UConn and we play for championships. It doesn’t matter who gets in our way. Screw the ACC, you want to be in the conference as BCU?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
They've done incredibly? Do you mean the last couple tournaments? If so, it's the zone that helped them do well because so few teams have any meaningful experience playing against a zone.

JB is a HOF coach solely because of what he did at Cuse. So yes they have done, incredibly. Why do you hate facts?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
This thread is a microcosm of how our state handles everything short sighted and not thinking about the future as long as it feels good today. It’s no wonder, why kids graaduating from UConn & Yale could give two about staying in CT. Overrun with people who only care about the good ole days.

Friendship

Filled With My Husky Friends
Reaction Score
Win the next two national championships and in two years we are in back in the same boat.

Join the ACC and we finally have games that are worth watching every week for the rest of our lives.

Reaction Score
Win the next two national championships and in two years we are in back in the same boat.

Join the ACC and we finally have games that are worth watching every week for the rest of our lives.
Exactly this. Can’t believe how shortsighted some folks are. We all hate the ACC, but I’d join the “Satan Athletic Conference” if it meant the long term survival of UConn’s AD.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Exactly this. Can’t believe how shortsighted some folks are. We all hate the ACC, but I’d join the “Satan Athletic Conference” if it meant the long term survival of UConn’s AD.
Is that what Mike Jarvis has been doing?

Reaction Score
Late to the party but

Anyone who would trade winning the next two championships for an ACC invite is

Totally and completely insane

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Every time I think about UConn, the ACC, and the Big East, I get so pissed off thinking about Notre Dame. They are essentially taking up 2 places in the ACC because if they went full football that would create an opportunity for another school. They don’t need the money. I’m pretty sure NBC pays the more for 12 football games than the entire AAC ESPN deal. The Big East is essentially a mid-west Catholic conference now. Beyond frustrating.
Hard to fault ND all that much. They've looked after their own interests from day 1. They have no particular animus toward us, but helping UConn isn't part of their charge.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This thread is a microcosm of how our state handles everything short sighted and not thinking about the future as long as it feels good today. It’s no wonder, why kids graaduating from UConn & Yale could give two about staying in CT. Overrun with people who only care about the good ole days.

that and it shows you just how many uconn fans care only for one team.
Every time I think about UConn, the ACC, and the Big East, I get so pissed off thinking about Notre Dame. They are essentially taking up 2 places in the ACC because if they went full football that would create an opportunity for another school. They don’t need the money. I’m pretty sure NBC pays the more for 12 football games than the entire AAC ESPN deal. The Big East is essentially a mid-west Catholic conference now. Beyond frustrating.

it’s only 7 games and it’s pretty close.

Reaction Score
Getting into the ACC or whatever is supposed to be a means of winning championships. It's not an end in itself. We can play in the NEC if we win two national titles.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I expected much more favorability for the ACC invite when I made this. This is shocking.
I'm curious the average age of the ACC voters vs. the 2 championships voters..

Frankly, I think it's ACC and I don't think it's even close. Can you imagine playing Duke, UNC, Virginia, FSU, Cuse, Pitt, ND every year multiple times? We'd be competing almost every year in the ACC with Hurley.
Never mind the financial aspect and long-term viability...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom