Natalie Butler's Wait is Ovah!! Courant Article | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Natalie Butler's Wait is Ovah!! Courant Article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would have been more surprised if she was not in the best condition of her brief UConn career. I can appreciate those who see big things from KLS, Gabby, and the others but I don't think you can put enough emphasis on the year that Butler has been able to practice, learn the system called Geno. and get used to the pace at which those four returning starters play the game. Barring any injury issues no one could possibly believe that Nurse, Stewart, Tuck, and Jefferson will not all be the starters. With that advantage of the year common sense (at least mine) dictates that Butler will be the fifth. What order Chong, KLS, Gabby, Boykin, Ekmark, and Collier come off the bench and where will they fit when they do is of course in the hands of the master puppeteer.

By College game experience and practicing with the Top team in the land for a year--I would expect Butler to suit up as a Junior not a Red Shirt Soph. The need for someone to fill the defensive role of Kiah and the scoring, passing role of Steff would dictate, in big games, Butler will be number FIVE.
Who comes off the bench (as you Know Bill this is conjecture)---I say initially Chong, Gabby, Ekmark (if they have developed over the summer) then Collier, KLS and Boykin/Lawlor Padillo if they too show anything in practice.
Collier has shown on a pretty big stage she can run with the big dogs. Gabby has yet to prove herself--yea she can rebound and score against small posts--can she exceed Collier, Ekmark, KLS, Boykin or Chong??

Last edited by a moderator:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She said she did it in 6 weeks in the summer, plus lifting and working on her agility.

That's how I read it too. Quite a summer. We know very little of Natalie, but her traveling to key away games on her own dime last season sure said a lot to me. In her I think we have a real fighter.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
That's how I read it too. Quite a summer. We know very little of Natalie, but her traveling to key away games on her own dime last season sure said a lot to me. In her I think we have a real fighter.
The traveling on her own is super impressive for a young college kid. She's got moxy. I think we are gonna like the product she puts on the court just as much as her.

Reaction Score
By College game experience and practicing with the Top team in the land for a year--I would expect Butler to suit up as a Junior not a Red Shirt Soph. The need for someone to fill the defensive role of Kiah and the scoring, passing role of Steff would dictate, in big games, Butler will be number FIVE.
Who comes off the bench (as you Know Bill this is conjecture)---I say initially Chong, Gabby, Ekmark (if they have developed over the summer) then Collier, KLS and Boykin/Lawlor Padillo if they too show anything in practice.
Now my heart strings are plunked by Collier and Gabby--both beautiful of face--Collier has shown on a pretty big stage she can run with the big dogs. Gabby has yet to prove herself--yea she can rebound and score against small posts--can she exceed Collier, Ekmark, KLS, Boykin or Chong??
While there may be some flexibility in where each plays that firing order for the substitutes is I would think dependent on for whom. Chong is going to come off first if Mo or Kia are out. Could you make a case for Ekmark or one of the three frosh> Sure, I have noted the comments about how well KLS handles the ball and you could make a case if she is doing well in practice that Geno could slide her in at the #2 for Kia and she to point if Mo goes out. Gabby will get time if another rebounder is in trouble or more speed is desired. e have yet to find out how quick Butler is going to be. A lot of great stuff to speculate about and about 7 weeks until a tip off.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I would have been more surprised if she was not in the best condition of her brief UConn career. I can appreciate those who see big things from KLS, Gabby, and the others but I don't think you can put enough emphasis on the year that Butler has been able to practice, learn the system called Geno. and get used to the pace at which those four returning starters play the game. Barring any injury issues no one could possibly believe that Nurse, Stewart, Tuck, and Jefferson will not all be the starters. With that advantage of the year common sense (at least mine) dictates that Butler will be the fifth. What order Chong, KLS, Gabby, Boykin, Ekmark, and Collier come off the bench and where will they fit when they do is of course in the hands of the master puppeteer.
Problem is, he's got ten fingers and eleven players. I hope it means he'll have a lot of fun with the challenge.

Reaction Score
Problem is, he's got ten fingers and eleven players. I hope it means he'll have a lot of fun with the challenge.
You're right that Coach only has ten fingers, but the real problem isn't juggling 11 players, it's what to do with that 11th ring. Does he rotate them or start wearing them on his toes?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
You're right that Coach only has ten fingers, but the real problem isn't juggling 11 players, it's what to do with that 11th ring. Does he rotate them or start wearing them on his toes?
Now that's a problem. Hope he doesn't pull a Gabby and put one in his nose. :eek:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Too much talk of looks in my humble opinion.
We have a splendid and attractive bunch, let's leave it at that.
You are 1000% correct.

Good people, please limit your gushing to players' skills, poise, on court demeanor, etc. We will not be objectifying any young women on this board. Thanks, all, for your cooperation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom