Natalie Butler | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Natalie Butler

Reaction Score
It’s hard not to lose patience with posters who insist on ripping Natalie. She gave the UConn program all she could, under the circumstances.
She deserves our good will.

General thought pattern of "rippers" seems to be: "I thought she was going to be a super great post before she ever set foot in Storrs, and I announced it to the world, and I'm real annoyed with her cuz she wasn't what I thought and I'm gonna keep reminding people how she didn't meet my expectations."

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I always loved big Nat. Will always have a warm place in my heart for her and all the other "big" girls to come thru the UCONN program going all the way back to the Wolters / Lobo years (started following the team in the early 90's). Nat's effort, enthusiasm, and "team-matedness" (not a word, I know) was always on display for all the world to see, if they took the time to look. SO glad she's enjoying much success at GMU.

I can't help but smile at the thought that when she's out on the court playing, there's a little angel/devil sitting on her shoulder, named Geno Auriemma, who's always shouting some sort of instructions in her ear!!

Reaction Score
She's not as good as I and others believed she would be. If she was with UConn this year, she wouldn't be seeing much playing time, especially with Lou and Batouly healthy.
Pretty sure she's light years better than you though.... UConn Women's Basketball is on a nearly unmatchable level in terms of ability and expectations. I commend her for being able to say that she took part in that experience... Not many can... Including us critics...

Reaction Score
Natalie's stats through today:
#1 in nation in rebounds
#1 in nation on DD's
and though only a couple she is hitting threes at 66%

upload_2017-11-29_23-56-26.png

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So, Nat is averaging 18.0 ppg and 13.3 rpg. Frankly, I'm not surprised. Those stats are in line with what she did at Georgetown, and she's a much better player now.

But here's the surprising stat: .667 from the arc. Nat must think she's Stef Dolson or something. :)

Reaction Score
I never said it was her fault. I said she didn't do as much as I hoped she would do since she was the Big East freshman of the year. There were many people who doubted her from the beginning. I was a supporter. However, she was ineffective when UConn wanted to run, and that is what makes UConn UConn, is their ability to get down the court faster than the other team.

Reaction Score
Love seeing her do well. I also agree, she graduated, so she didn't leave early any more than Morgan Tuck did. I think she might have played more at UCONN this year than some other posters do, I'd bet she would have been first player off the bench in the Nevada game.

Reaction Score
It’s hard not to lose patience with posters who insist on ripping Natalie. She gave the UConn program all she could, under the circumstances.
She deserves our good will.
First of all, I wasn't ripping or even commenting on Natalie or her recent good performances. It was a question.
The question, even though it read a tad harsher than I meant ( the UConn men were losing to Columbia by 14 at the time.)
My point, which I will make now, is that a halftime update on an ex -Uconn player, playing for another college, seems a tad excessive. Whats next a game thread based on Natalie's games.
So I wish her the best, happy that she is doing well, but will always look to add a little spice to this discussion board so it just doesn't become a "Stepford Wives RAH RAH" board

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I do think some of Natalie's difficulties were due to her thumb injury but I would not rule out that some players may just find it much harder to play at UConn then elsewhere. I would think it might be hard for some players (not all) to play on a team whose talent outshines their own and perhaps feel some level of inadequacy and the constant pressure and demands of playing at UConn (coaching pressures, media pressures etc).

A change of scenery and pace can often be what the doctor ordered and I am very happy she found the best environment for her situation. I think if she maintains the level she is at now, she may potentially reach the next level. If not the WNBA, elsewhere?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Do we care?
I do, and all true UConn fans should also. She was and always will be a Husky. Without her, last year would not have gone as well as it did. She changed her body and put in the effort to help us and I ,for one,am thankful.

Reaction Score
I just wish she could/would have participated in Senior Day, but perhaps she didn't want that. To me, she wasn't comfortable as a center of attention as evidenced by her minimal feature on the team's web site and in the HBO series. Definitely not a Kia, Lou, or Steph Dolson in that regard. Anyway, she seems like a great kid and I'm glad she is doing well.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I just wish she could/would have participated in Senior Day, but perhaps she didn't want that. To me, she wasn't comfortable as a center of attention as evidenced by her minimal feature on the team's web site and in the HBO series. Definitely not a Kia, Lou, or Steph Dolson in that regard. Anyway, she seems like a great kid and I'm glad she is doing well.
That is an excellent point about Nat not participating in graduation and there was a similar post regarding her not having the traditional picture with Geno in graduation cap and gown. Her stated reason for leaving UCONN was that UCONN dropped her intended graduate major sometime after she committed to UCONN. If that were truly the case she would have know well before Senior night and could have participated in the ceremony.
Glad that Nat is doing well with basketball at George Mason. She was a darn good student and likely doing well academically. Nat did allude to some personal issues during the HBO special and I hope she is doing equally well with that also. You go Nat!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My point, which I will make now, is that a halftime update on an ex -Uconn player, playing for another college, seems a tad excessive.
You could have bought back a few seconds of you obviously busy life by skipping right over that thread.
Whats next a game thread based on Natalie's games.
We already started one of those!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'll (probably mistakenly) offer my 2 pesos: Viva Natalie!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Love seeing her do well. I also agree, she graduated, so she didn't leave early any more than Morgan Tuck did.

True, they both left early. Which is fine. I wish Butler the best but do we need a new thread every time she puts up good numbers?

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
While the competitive schedule isn't as impressive as playing for Connecticut her numbers are impressive nevertheless. If her desire is to play at the next level...it would be difficult for WNBA teams not to at least take a look at her...after all, 6'5" is still 6'5"

Reaction Score
JoePgh, so if Natalie was still here, an opposing player wouldn't have stepped on Lou's foot causing a mid foot sprain? You can complain all you want about the people who said they thought Natalie would be better. We're being honest based on her play in the Big East. If you don't like our comments, don't read them.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
My point, which I will make now, is that a halftime update on an ex -Uconn player, playing for another college, seems a tad excessive. Whats next a game thread based on Natalie's games.

One of the sublime beauties of this forum is that you have the power to click on only those threads that interest you.

If your expectation is that every thread will be about a topic you care dearly about, perhaps your expectations are too high.

Reaction Score
One of the sublime beauties of this forum is that you have the power to click on only those threads that interest you.

If your expectation is that every thread will be about a topic you care dearly about, perhaps your expectations are too high.

Reaction Score
Without Natalie the husky streak would have never got 110.early on in the season last year she kept it going!

Reaction Score
Do we care?
Yes./ Absolutely we care. She came to UConn, did what she was asked to do in practice, played up to her ability and contributed to some of last year's wins. She graduated and decided to use a year of eligibility to move to a team where she's the straw that stirs the drink. What's not to like?

Reaction Score
General thought pattern of "rippers" seems to be: "I thought she was going to be a super great post before she ever set foot in Storrs, and I announced it to the world, and I'm real annoyed with her cuz she wasn't what I thought and I'm gonna keep reminding people how she didn't meet my expectations."

Agree 100%

Reaction Score
It's sad to me to see that some people seem disappointed or perhaps perturbed that some of us genuinely do care about her success. While she didn't perform to the expectations that some set for her, it can't be argued that she bled blue through and through, and was a critical part of the team last year. Not only is she a talented athlete in her own right, she's a superb and incredibly bright person who left UConn not because she couldn't hack it, but because the school dropped the program she intended to pursue post-grad. Had UConn still had the program she wished to pursue, I imagine we'd still be seeing her in a Husky uniform this year.

I hope she continues to have success at George Mason! Once a Husky, always a Husky, and Nat is no exception.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Butler was never able to play at the speed UConn requires nor did she have good hands. But remember, she was one of the leading rebounders in the country as a freshman and is again this year. Butler was a great team mate, redefined her body in Storrs and gave everything she had in games and practice. WCBB is filled with very good players who would sit on the bench at UConn.

Great...she helped UCONN beat Baylor and then moved on. She had a major role in a UCONN defeat of the Lady Bears. I am not sure UCONN would have won that game without her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom