Natalie Butler: Candid, revealing talk about a difficult year. | The Boneyard

Natalie Butler: Candid, revealing talk about a difficult year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Sorry guys but if we have to rely on Nat and Chong we'll be in for a long season.

Ouch. That seems a bit nasty. It would serve us well to recall how Stef came on so strong in her last two years as a UConn post player. If Natalie does likewise, look out! Saniya can play too, and she has proven it in the past, though maybe not with greatest consistency. Let's give these kids their chance before deciding that they are only bench material.

Reaction Score
Until I see it I won't believe comparing Nat to Dolson. Dolson is a warrior. I have yet seeing Nat ever left her foot for a rebound nor going strong to the basket and softly kiss that backboard for 2 points. Until then I wont believe it.
Chong is very slashy with her moves but her problem is mental, until she can kick that mental out of her head she will be the same as she ever was for the last 3 years.
With all that said I still wish them the best and glad to eat them crows. :)

Reaction Score
I think Natalie is the key to the season. If she can contribute 25 meaningful post minutes per game UConn will have a chance to be a FF team. If not, the more likely scenario based on last year's play, we are probably looking at 5-7 losses and the elite eight at best.

My hope is that she overcomes last year's issues, returns in much better physical and mental shape and proves last year was an anomaly.

Reaction Score
I think Natalie is the key to the season. If she can contribute 25 meaningful post minutes per game UConn will have a chance to be a FF team. If not, the more likely scenario based on last year's play, we are probably looking at 5-7 losses and the elite eight at best.

My hope is that she overcomes last year's issues, returns in much better physical and mental shape and proves last year was an anomaly.
Agree. If Butler will remind us Dolson with her play, UConn looks like a team that can handle the bigger teams out there (such as SC). If Butler plays like last year UConn will play a lot of small ball

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Agree. Even when healthy Natalie did not get "productive" minutes in any meaningful UCONN game last year. This year she will be need.

Reaction Score
Until I see it I won't believe comparing Nat to Dolson. Dolson is a warrior. I have yet seeing Nat ever left her foot for a rebound nor going strong to the basket and softly kiss that backboard for 2 points. Until then I wont believe it.
Chong is very slashy with her moves but her problem is mental, until she can kick that mental out of her head she will be the same as she ever was for the last 3 years.
With all that said I still wish them the best and glad to eat them crows. :)
We should encourage those young ladies to perform as sold as possible in the coming year, not to look back there not so good performance in the past.

Reaction Score
I think Natalie did better than some people think. Her presence when she was in changed a lot of shots. She also got a fair number of points per minutes played. I expect her to be an important part of UConn's success this year. And they will have a lot of success. Saniya, though, I am not so sure about. She can score, that is without doubt. On defense, however, she needs to learn to slow her feet down at times. She is moving them so fast sometimes, she moves right out of position. Then the player, who is usually slower, runs right past her. If she can learn to just stay in front of who she is guarding, instead of doing the crazy legs thing she does, she could be a great player.

Reaction Score
I think Natalie and Saniya shared a certain trait of not being entirely sure all the time of where they were on the court or what they were supposed to do. They both at times seemed a bit out of control--moving, shooting, fouling, etc. out of an impulse to make an impact rather than being completely in the flow. One might think that is true of substitutes generally, but I thought that the first two off the bench--Gabby and Napheesa (especially the late season Napheesa)--played quite smoothly and were fully integrated into team play. Hoping that a lot of reps in early practice this year make both Natalie and Saniya more comfortable and playing more through muscle memory than through sudden impulse.

Reaction Score
Sorry, Hongster but we don't have to rely on Nat and Chong. With or without them the season will be (successfully) long. Like into April 2017.:)
I concur with those thoughts...the much-longed-for demise (by other programs) of UConn's relative hegemony in the world of WCBB will not pan out quite as they hope, though I think a 2017 championship, or even a run as far as the Final Four, would pose a bit of a very temporary stretch. One cannot watch lots of last seasons's replays without being deeply sobered by the massive contribution made by the big three we lost...no team, in my opinion, can successfully suffer so huge a loss in the short term without paying a steep price. But I predict that all of us, however far the team goes in April (and they WILL be playing in late March, if not April), will be feeling extremely confident about a return to the winner's circle the following year. I expect a nice contribution from Saniya this year. Insofar as Nat is concerned, I have to admit to being a bit skeptical. I realize that on our forum even sober analysis is somewhat frowned upon...I'm pulling as hard as anyone else for Nat's success. My concerns fall in three areas: 1. Can she physically adapt to Geno's relentless up-tempo offense? 2. Considering that she will be playing on the most unselfish offense in the game, wherein great assists from unexpected angles will always be the hallmark, can her hand skills improve sufficiently to be a contributing factor? 3. Can her leaping ability improve sufficiently to make her a big-time rebounder?...she need not be a scorer, but she has to control the boards to earn major minutes on what is still a very talented team. I don't know the answers, but this team will be formidable one way or the other.

Reaction Score
Good analysis, Bigpetunia. I'd just add that particularly when considering a big, her play is not in isolation. I'm sure Geno and CD are thinking of ways for her to get help underneath and to adjust tempo a bit to accommodate. If she is to start, there will be adjustments by others to highlight her strengths and (try) to hide her weaknesses.

HGN

Reaction Score
I think Natalie is going to be just fine......What I got out of the article is that she wants to be more involved this season. And is preparing herself
mentally and physically for that role. She apparently has come to the conclusion that she hasn't played up to her potential ( injuries) and wants
to show why she was chosen as ROY for the old BE.

At 6'5 , skilled , ready to go from opening of training camp , injury free , and Highly motivated , I believe we could be in for a big year from Natalie.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Count me among the many who love what we hear from her and hope she's at least a really solid contributor this year. Anyone who thinks UCONN can have a successful season (by our lofty standards, that means at least the final 4) without more than nominal contributions from Natalie is kidding themselves. What I mean is, we certainly could play small ball, but it's unlikely (IMHO) that we make it past the elite 8 without at least least 15-20 MPG, 5-7 points, and 8-10 boards from Natalie.

Reaction Score
Count me among the many who love what we hear from her and hope she's at least a really solid contributor this year. Anyone who thinks UCONN can have a successful season (by our lofty standards, that means at least the final 4) without more than nominal contributions from Natalie is kidding themselves. What I mean is, we certainly could play small ball, but it's unlikely (IMHO) that we make it past the elite 8 without at least least 15-20 MPG, 5-7 points, and 8-10 boards from Natalie.
I agree with you here Eric. I think she can easily get those numbers IF she can stay on the floor for 20-25 minutes. The problem I see is that I don't know if she can play aggressive defense without fouling out before she hits 20 minutes. She has a bad, ingrained habit of standing and reaching and smart posts will take the ball right at her and force her into contact. She's going to need a lot of help denying penetration or it could get messy.

Reaction Score
USF is not going to challenge UConn with Williams, Jenkins and Stringfield. They don't have the talent in their other players that UConn has. There's no Kia Nurse, Katie Lou Samuelson, Gabby Williams, Napheesa Collier, Natalie Butler, Crystal Dangerfield and Kyla and Molly who will contribute.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm glad to hear what Natalie has to say about her season. I think that playing with and against Morgan and Stewie can make someone question herself and adversely affect her confidence. I was wondering about her fitness and mobility, and Nat admits that she had gained weight. The fix to that is straightforward (maybe not easy, but straightforward). I accept Nat's explanation that things snowballed after the injury. I don't think we have seen the best of Natalie. I commend her for spending the season with CD and Marissa. Natalie is a hard worker. I think her efforts will pay off. The better she is, the better the team is, but we don't need her to be a megastar. Let's see how she does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom