Natalie Butler and George Mason in A10 tournament tonight | The Boneyard

Natalie Butler and George Mason in A10 tournament tonight

Reaction Score
After being named A10 player of the week for the eighth time this season, tying the A10 record, Natalie begins play in the A10 tournament tonight at 7PM. It's free on the George Mason Women's basketball website.

This year, Natalie led George Mason to a single season record 22 wins, while leading the A10 in scoring and the nation in double doubles and rebounding. Natalie's rebounding average is 16.3 per game and that is well above the next highest average of G'mrice Davis of Fordham at 13.6 and the third highest average of Mississippi State's Teaira McGowan at 13.5. Natalie's consecutive double double streak is the third longest in Division I history. The two longest belong to Courtney Paris, making Natalie one of only two players to ever have as long a streak of consecutive double doubles.

Reaction Score
After being named A10 player of the week for the eighth time this season, tying the A10 record, Natalie begins play in the A10 tournament tonight at 7PM. It's free on the George Mason Women's basketball website.

This year, Natalie led George Mason to a single season record 22 wins, while leading the A10 in scoring and the nation in double doubles and rebounding. Natalie's rebounding average is 16.3 per game and that is well above the next highest average of G'mrice Davis of Fordham at 13.6 and the third highest average of Mississippi State's Teaira McGowan at 13.5. Natalie's consecutive double double streak is the third longest in Division I history. The two longest belong to Courtney Paris, making Natalie one of only two players to ever have as long a streak of consecutive double doubles.
If you are a basketball fan, might be interesting to watch. Have seen two of her games this year and no one plays with more competitiveness and enthusiasm than Nat. Makes you even more appreciative of the skills she learned at UConn-her footwork, movement, and overall physical fitness a level above anyone else in league. Doesn't matter now but wonder how she would have done as Huskie if she never had the thumb issue and had issues handling the ball. Now that she is fully healthy, fun to watch.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
... ... leading the A10 in scoring and the nation in double doubles and rebounding. Natalie's rebounding average is 16.3 per game and that is well above the next highest average of G'mrice Davis of Fordham at 13.6 ... ...

... ... the skills she learned at UConn-her footwork, movement, and overall physical fitness a level above anyone else ... ...

At 6' 5" in a mid-major league and playing against mostly 6' 1" competition, let's not get carried away.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I'm sure that Natalie is doing the right thing for her goals, but with the benefit of hindsight, I think we can say with assurance that she would have gotten plenty of minutes at UConn if she had stayed. I doubt that UConn would have trailed ND or Texas in the first half if she were around to help Azura dominate the boards. As I recall, Azura had four fouls in both of those games, which probably could have been avoided if she had played fewer minutes and Natalie had played as well.

It is probably true that Azura is developing her post skills faster than she would have if Natalie were still here. Nat's presence would have given Azura and even Geno an excuse to let Z play on the perimeter where she was (past tense!) more comfortable.

Oh well -- UConn is undefeated (so far) without Natalie. I hope we don't find that she is sorely missed when and if UConn plays Mississippi State or Baylor (or even Texas again) in the tournament.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm sure that Natalie is doing the right thing for her goals, but with the benefit of hindsight, I think we can say with assurance that she would have gotten plenty of minutes at UConn if she had stayed. I doubt that UConn would have trailed ND or Texas in the first half if she were around to help Azura dominate the boards. As I recall, Azura had four fouls in both of those games, which probably could have been avoided if she had played fewer minutes and Natalie had played as well.

It is probably true that Azura is developing her post skills faster than she would have if Natalie were still here. Nat's presence would have given Azura and even Geno an excuse to let Z play on the perimeter where she was (past tense!) more comfortable.

Oh well -- UConn is undefeated (so far) without Natalie. I hope we don't find that she is sorely missed when and if UConn plays Mississippi State or Baylor (or even Texas again) in the tournament.
She would have contributed meaningfully from the bench, rather than being "the franchise player" at George Mason. I wish she had stayed but her move was stunningly successful for her. Regardless, I wish her well wherever life takes her.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Agreed. No reason to take shots at her. She's a great kid having a great season and most UCONN fans are thrilled for her!

Agreed. She can only play against whoever they put in front of her. She doesn't get to pick her opponents. I'll continue to root for Butler until her team's season is over. :cool:

Reaction Score
At 6' 5" in a mid-major league and playing against mostly 6' 1" competition, let's not get carried away.
You could also add that she is a year older than most of the other seniors in her league. And she had the advantage of superior coaching at her previous school.

But however you look at it, it's still great just as it is. Other than Elena Delle Donne, she is having more success than any previous transfer out of the UConn program. That is worthy of comment.

Reaction Score
As I recall, Azura had four fouls in both of those games, which probably could have been avoided if she had played fewer minutes and Natalie had played as well.

It is probably true that Azura is developing her post skills faster than she would have if Natalie were still here. Nat's presence would have given Azura and even Geno an excuse to let Z play on the perimeter where she was (past tense!) more comfortable..
Interesting thoughts: thanks so much!

I wonder.... Of course, it's unlikely Z and Natalie play at the same time, since it likely disrupts the famous UConn up-tempo game. So, Natalie is in for Z who is in for Gabby or Pheesa? maybe for a few minutes, but I don't see it as a big part of the strategy myself. But I'm just guessing. I know Natalie transferred at least somewhat for the available academic program, but also guessing that she saw herself as getting far fewer minutes with Z becoming eligible.

Reaction Score
A little fact checking shows there is only one a10 school with the tallest player at 6'1" being GW, all other schools list someone taller.

4 teams have at least one 6'5" player including Natalie.

1 team has a 6'6" player

The shortest team George Mason played this year was Houston (not A10) where she pulled in the ncaa 2017/2018 single game high of 28 boards

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And thanks for the heads up Roger. I for one will be watching and pulling for Natalie to extend her DD run and hope George Masson gets in more post season games

Reaction Score
What's it worth, Being a dominate player in a 3 level league, or being a important #7-8 backup - possible a game changer with a national Championship team???
Second, how will the Pro Scoust rate her now???

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
What's it worth, Being a dominate player in a 3 level league, or being a important #7-8 backup - possible a game changer with a national Championship team???
Second, how will the Pro Scoust rate her now???
She played for UCONN last season and did not win a NC. Why not go to a team where she will play a lot and not win a NC. The NC this season is not guaranteed to go to UCONN.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Halftime GM leads the Bonnies 44-35. Butler at 11 pts 9 rebounds. She is at least 4 inches taller than any one else on the court so no surprise she is dominating.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Regardless of competition level, she's had a pretty incredible season. In conference play she's averaged 18.7 points, 18.4 rebounds. I don't think she has a future in the WNBA as others have suggested here, but I think she absolutely made the right choice to transfer. She'll be able to look back on her career and remember winning a championship, playing in another Final Four, having a great freshman season and a standout senior campaign as a go to player. She's had a great combination of team success and individual success--most players don't get either of those, or at best, 1 or the other. She's had both.

HGN

Reaction Score
Now Natalie shares the consecutive double double record for a season.

And without question, height alone does not assure success in rebounding, scoring, or basketball in general.
Very, very true.

Reaction Score
I doubt she's regretting her choices along the last few years. She's had a range of experiences few have had. She'll have many memories, friends... and hopefully a great career and life.

I said before that Geno would probably like to find her on the bench a few times this year. She's doing fine where she is...so is he. Let's hope it continues. Life can be like that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom