Natalie Butler and George Mason in A10 tournament tonight | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Natalie Butler and George Mason in A10 tournament tonight

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
At 6' 5" in a mid-major league and playing against mostly 6' 1" competition, let's not get carried away.

Size has little to do with rebounding. Rebounding is desire and fortitude. Ask the 5'11 kid I saw on tv last night starting in the middle for the number 1 ranked team.

Reaction Score
She played for UCONN last season and did not win a NC. Why not go to a team where she will play a lot and not win a NC. The NC this season is not guaranteed to go to UCONN.

I think she has had an excellent career playing successfully for three different teams including the best team in WBB................clearly she's a more dominant player at the A10's level but not too many players can even say that.........

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Maybe not but I think she'll get a look at least. A lot of people doubted Saniya would play in the WNBA.
A number of post players who are less athletic than Natalie have had multi-year WNBA careers. Obviously, one can think of Danielle Adams and Courtney Paris, and there was also the player from Boston College who has an unusual last name that I can't recall. I would expect Nat to be a second or third round draft pick, and have at least a 50-50 chance of making a team (assuming she chooses to play in the WNBA).

Reaction Score
A number of post players who are less athletic than Natalie have had multi-year WNBA careers. Obviously, one can think of Danielle Adams and Courtney Paris, and there was also the player from Boston College who has an unusual last name that I can't recall. I would expect Nat to be a second or third round draft pick, and have at least a 50-50 chance of making a team (assuming she chooses to play in the WNBA).
Nat had mentioned that UConn had dropped her major while GW has it. Suggests to me her focus has not fully been on turning pro. My forecast is for a 2-3 European or Asian pro career. Makes as much or more than in US, saves her money, relaxes, sees the world, then moves on to more traditional career.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Nat had mentioned that UConn had dropped her major while GW has it. Suggests to me her focus has not fully been on turning pro. My forecast is for a 2-3 European or Asian pro career. Makes as much or more than in US, saves her money, relaxes, sees the world, then moves on to more traditional career.
One reason that Nat said why she chose GMU was because of it being in the DC burbs and thus a good spot to get an opportunity in her chosen field. I do hope that she gets an opportunity in pro ball, somewhere, because she has proven that given the chance, she can play some decent ball.

Reaction Score
Reminds me of the NCAA commercials where an athlete says thete is some big number of NCAA athletes and that MOST of them will go pro in something other than a sport.

Reaction Score

Carolyn Swords, 6'6" played for Boston College then in the W for the Liberty and
the Storm- averaged 6 points and 6 rebounds a game in her career.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Both of those players were MUCH more skilled than Natalie is. Danielle Adams scored 30 points in the title game and was a 1st team AA with great inside out ability. Courtney Paris was a 4x All American and set many records playing against very good competition. Natalie is playing in a league where she’s a head taller than just about anyone and the best team she’s faced is an NCAA bubble team. A lot of people saw her coming to UCONN and becoming the next Stef Dolson because of her similar size and build, but obviously Dolson was much more skilled and successful than Butler.

She’s had a great year, but being good enough to make a WNBA team is very very different than being good enough to dominate a weak conference.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I’m somewhere in the middle. I love Nat, and I think she will get drafted and can be a pro. Whether she can make the WNBA or fits better in Europe, I’m not sure. I think she can provide as much as the last big on the bench for about 5-8 teams in the W. She doesn’t have Stef’s hands or feet, but Nat can shoot. She’s pretty big, even by W standards.

Reaction Score
If Natalie wants to continue her basketball career, I would think she might find a spot
in one of the lesser overseas leagues (Israel, for example).

By all accounts she is a great person, and I am sure she'll have a successful life,
whatever path she chooses.

Reaction Score
Both of those players were MUCH more skilled than Natalie is. Danielle Adams scored 30 points in the title game and was a 1st team AA with great inside out ability. Courtney Paris was a 4x All American and set many records playing against very good competition. Natalie is playing in a league where she’s a head taller than just about anyone and the best team she’s faced is an NCAA bubble team. A lot of people saw her coming to UCONN and becoming the next Stef Dolson because of her similar size and build, but obviously Dolson was much more skilled and successful than Butler.

She’s had a great year, but being good enough to make a WNBA team is very very different than being good enough to dominate a weak conference.

I have contended that based on her outstanding size, reasonable skills, outstanding work ethic, intelligence and UCONN experience Natalie will have no trouble being drafted and enjoying a worthwhile career in the W and overseas. I will go out on a limb and say that she will be closer to being a first round than a third-round selection.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I’m somewhere in the middle. I love Nat, and I think she will get drafted and can be a pro. Whether she can make the WNBA or fits better in Europe, I’m not sure. I think she can provide as much as the last big on the bench for about 5-8 teams in the W. She doesn’t have Stef’s hands or feet, but Nat can shoot. She’s pretty big, even by W standards.
I have contended that based on her outstanding size, reasonable skills, outstanding work ethic, intelligence and UCONN experience Natalie will have no trouble being drafted and enjoying a worthwhile career in the W and overseas. I will go out on a limb and say that she will be closer to being a first round than a third-round selection.
I'm with Ken on this one - somewhere in the middle. There have been a good # of centers who were drafted high and flamed out (Kelly Cain, Jacinta Monroe, Sandora Irvin, and may be a few others). They were all picked high in the 1st round and flamed out.

Then there are shorter folks who had some very good success playing undersized as the center for teams - Janel McCarville, Taj McWilliams-Franklin, etc). Butler has good size and obviously knows how to score. But how will she fare against the best in the world? She never really made a huge impact at UCONN so while I'm hopeful, I'm not sure she can be more than an role player in the W, if even that. Time will tell and I'm rooting for her BIG TIME!!!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm with Ken on this one - somewhere in the middle. There have been a good # of centers who were drafted high and flamed out (Kelly Cain, Jacinta Monroe, Sandora Irvin, and may be a few others). They were all picked high in the 1st round and flamed out.

Then there are shorter folks who had some very good success playing undersized as the center for teams - Janel McCarville, Taj McWilliams-Franklin, etc). Butler has good size and obviously knows how to score. But how will she fare against the best in the world? She never really made a huge impact at UCONN so while I'm hopeful, I'm not sure she can be more than an role player in the W, if even that. Time will tell and I'm rooting for her BIG TIME!!!

I really thought Natalie would come on stronger at UConn, not that she did not contribute. Some know I have this big girls theory about how they were taught from early on to be gentle and kind, etc., and then they find basketball and we ask them to be far less than gentle and kind .... I am the only proponent of this theory as far as I know, but ... I'm sticking to it. And loving what Natalie is doing this year. Wreck 'um Natalie!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Being a role player for 6-8 years is still a pretty good gig!

Reaction Score
I really thought Natalie would come on stronger at UConn, not that she did not contribute. Some know I have this big girls theory about how they were taught from early on to be gentle and kind, etc., and then they find basketball and we ask them to be far less than gentle and kind .... I am the only proponent of this theory as far as I know, but ... I'm sticking to it. And loving what Natalie is doing this year. Wreck 'um Natalie!
I, too, am a proponent of the gentle big girl theory, and think that Nat is a prime example. In addition, I suspect it is only in recent years (perhaps within the past decade) that uber talented female athletes in team sports have been given cultural permission to dominate their opponents. I think that Kiah Stokes suffered from both of these constraints while at UCONN, although the sheer joy of swatting the ball helped her develop a bit of nasty.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I, too, am a proponent of the gentle big girl theory, and think that Nat is a prime example. In addition, I suspect it is only in recent years (perhaps within the past decade) that uber talented female athletes in team sports have been given cultural permission to dominate their opponents. I think that Kiah Stokes suffered from both of these constraints while at UCONN, although the sheer joy of swatting the ball helped her develop a bit of nasty.

I am not alone! Thank you Jesus!!!

Reaction Score
I am not alone! Thank you Jesus!!!
I can't claim to be quite that divine, but I do share a birthday. Way too much frankincense and myrrh under the Christmas tree, and not nearly enough gold.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Agreed. She can only play against whoever they put in front of her. She doesn't get to pick her opponents. I'll continue to root for Butler until her team's season is over. :cool:
She picked her opposition when she transferred!

Reaction Score

Mark your calendar for draft day. Natalie Butler goes in round two!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Actually I think she picked a graduate program, but sure, she's playing down if that is what you had in mind to say. I'm just glad she had the opportunity to combine the two and have such success. It's nothing she hasn't earned.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

So what's your point? Why are you hating on Natalie? Exactly what did she do to draw your ire? She transferred to a program close to her home, that had classes that she needed to complete her master's degree, which also happened to be a school that would accept her. What is your problem with that?

You either like Butler or you don't. Everyone realizes and acknowledges that she's playing against competition that is at a lower level than she did at UConn. It's the same level of competition she played against at Georgetown.

Butler did what she felt she needed to do for her, not for other people or jaded fans. She had 1 year of eligibility left. She read the writing on the wall. With Stevens becoming eligible, she no doubt figured her playing time would be limited at best. She wanted to play, not sit on the bench. Based on how she performed this season, and how the team and coaches responded to her, I'd say she made a good decision. If a WNBA GM/coach likes her, and thinks she can help their team win games in a backup or support role, they'll sign her, if not, they won't.

Butler is doing the best she can under the circumstances. I really don't understand why some fans feel the need to down play, or throw shade on her accomplishments. Who are we (fans) to criticize her or what she's doing? When she was at UConn, she was not a distraction, and did the best she could. When she left, she was gracious and thankful during her exit. Why can't we just be happy for her? What would YOU have her do to win YOUR approval?

Oh by the way..........this just in.......
Natalie Butler is the A10 player of the year, All conference first team, All conference defense team, and All conference academic team!!! :D

Congratulations Natalie on a wonderful season.

Last edited by a moderator:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I would agree that Butler is at least as athletic as Adams and Parris. IF they can make a WNBA roster, why can't Natalie? :rolleyes:

Not a good example...both were much better players and athletes than Natalie is. Danielle Adams had guard skills and could score in so many ways against taller/better opponents and had range out to 3. Better touch on the ball and a much harder matchup defensively. She put her team on her back and led them to a national championship, beating a Sims/Griner led Baylor team, Stanford with 2 Ogwumikes, and a Skylar Diggins led Notre Dame. On the contrary, Butler hasn't played a single ranked team all year and likely misses the NCAA tournament.

Paris was a 4x AA, won NFOY over Candace Parker, won a POY award in 2007, and had over 2500 points/2000 rebounds in her career for a perennial top 10 team. She is quicker than she looks and had arguably the best hands of any player in women's college basketball history. She also has just dominated her competition and players taller, quicker, and more athletic than her. Butler has dominated a weak conference and is a big body, but the comparison ends there IMO.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Not a good example...both were much better players and athletes than Natalie is. Danielle Adams had guard skills and could score in so many ways against taller/better opponents and had range out to 3. Better touch on the ball and a much harder matchup defensively. She put her team on her back and led them to a national championship, beating a Sims/Griner led Baylor team, Stanford with 2 Ogwumikes, and a Skylar Diggins led Notre Dame. On the contrary, Butler hasn't played a single ranked team all year and likely misses the NCAA tournament.

Paris was a 4x AA, won NFOY over Candace Parker, won a POY award in 2007, and had over 2500 points/2000 rebounds in her career for a perennial top 10 team. She is quicker than she looks and had arguably the best hands of any player in women's college basketball history. She also has just dominated her competition and players taller, quicker, and more athletic than her. Butler has dominated a weak conference and is a big body, but the comparison ends there IMO.

Thanks for the response. You answered my question. I can't argue with the facts you presented. :oops:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom