Natalie Achonwa | The Boneyard

Natalie Achonwa

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
she played well against UConn (finally watching the game)... will watch ND/Baylor game after!

heard a little chatter that she wouldnt be effective next season, looking at her right now I think she'll have a huge role in keeping ND at the top.

Dan O'Brien is horrible... geesh!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
She was solid against the final meeting and has been mediocre most of the year. The chatter was because a) she hasn't made the leap forward expected after a promising freshman campaign, b) she's not shown that she can be effective in extended minutes, and c) there's not much behind her if she gets in fouls trouble or just has a bad game.

Reaction Score
She has the potential to be an All-Big East player (they will need her to be if they expect to make any kind of run next season). She knows Muffet's system and operates well within it. Can finish with either hand as far as I can tell. She doesn't seem to have the type of game or the athleticism that is going to blow anybody away, but she's solid nonetheless. ND is going to need her to stay out of foul trouble next year.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I was really impressed with her freshman year, but i'm not sure she made the expected jump (much like Dolson) that people probably expected. but she seemed to come on strong at the end of the year. i don't even know who ND will have in the post besides her next year. but i think she will be solid for them. she doesn't have to be spectacular. but then again, i feel ND fans will be disappointed if the expect ND to be one of the best 2 teams in the BE. i'd pick them 3rd or 4th. (behind L'ville for sure, and fairly close to RU and WVU...)

i'll tell ya one thing tho, i'm looking forward to beating the ever-lovin crap out of them next year. i hope Skylar pouts from the start of the game to the finish lol...

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
she played well against UConn (finally watching the game)... will watch ND/Baylor game after!

heard a little chatter that she wouldnt be effective next season, looking at her right now I think she'll have a huge role in keeping ND at the top.

Dan O'Brien is horrible... geesh!

She had a pretty good game. 7 points, 6 rebounds, but 4 fouls in 27 minutes. She only played that much against Baylor because of Peter's foul trouble.

DC, I was one that said she wouldn't be effective and I disagree with your assesment. You seem to be using the UConn game, but there were many games where she didn't even see the court.

She is about as good as Stokes right now, but not as good defensively.

If she is expected to have a huge role in keeping ND at the top, they are in big trouble.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
She has the potential to be an All-Big East player (they will need her to be if they expect to make any kind of run next season). She knows Muffet's system and operates well within it. Can finish with either hand as far as I can tell. She doesn't seem to have the type of game or the athleticism that is going to blow anybody away, but she's solid nonetheless. ND is going to need her to stay out of foul trouble next year.

I disagree on her potential. She is no better than the freshman Stokes for UConn.

She struggles on defense and as you noted needs to stay out of foul trouble. But she continues to not do that.

Just comparing their stats.

Achowa - 17.2 minutes, 7.6 points, 4.5 rebounds, 55.7 FG%, 27 blocks, 24 steals.
Stokes - 13.4 minutes, 4.5 points, 4.5 rebounds, 60.2 FG%, 50 blocks, 18 steals.

both solid players, but All-Big East potential? I believe Stokes has more of that.

Reaction Score
To me that says as much about the potential of Stokes than it does anything negative about Achonwa. Hell, there was a whole group of UConn posters that were insistent that Stokes was better than Stefanie Dolson and should be starting for UConn. Achonwa and Stokes are different players though. Achonwa's not the defensive presence that Stokes is, but she is much more skilled offensively. Stokes really couldn't create anything for herself offensively as a freshman, which was of course a big reason why Stefanie Dolson actually was the better player and continued to start for UConn. Achonwa's not going to be an All-American, but I wouldn't be very surprised if she turned out to be All-Big East next season. She's going to play big minutes and likely average double figure points per game.
I disagree on her potential. She is no better than the freshman Stokes for UConn.

She struggles on defense and as you noted needs to stay out of foul trouble. But she continues to not do that.

Just comparing their stats.

Achowa - 17.2 minutes, 7.6 points, 4.5 rebounds, 55.7 FG%, 27 blocks, 24 steals.
Stokes - 13.4 minutes, 4.5 points, 4.5 rebounds, 60.2 FG%, 50 blocks, 18 steals.

both solid players, but All-Big East potential? I believe Stokes has more of that.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
To me that says as much about the potential of Stokes than it does anything negative about Achonwa. Hell, there was a whole group of UConn posters that were insistent that Stokes was better than Stefanie Dolson and should be starting for UConn. Achonwa and Stokes are different players though. Achonwa's not the defensive presence that Stokes is, but she is much more skilled offensively. Stokes really couldn't create anything for herself offensively as a freshman, which was of course a big reason why Stefanie Dolson actually was the better player and continued to start for UConn. Achonwa's not going to be an All-American, but I wouldn't be very surprised if she turned out to be All-Big East next season. She's going to play big minutes and likely average double figure points per game.

To me, it's how a player does against the better teams that show me how good a player is.

1st Baylor game - 12 minutes, 0 points, 2 rebounds
Duke - 21 minutes, 0 points, 7 rebounds
UK - 19 minutes, 15 points, 5 rebounds
1st UConn game - 20 minutes, 4 points, 4 rebounds
Tenn - 11 minutes, 7 points, 2 rebounds
Depaul - 14 minutes, 16 points, 4 rebounds
GU - 18 minutes, 7 points, 7 rebounds
SJU - 18 minutes, 4 points, 3 rebounds
WV - 11 minutes, 4 points, 0 rebounds
UL - 15 minutes, 0 points, 3 rebounds
2nd UConn game - 11 minutes, 3 points, 2 rebounds
Depaul - 14 minutes, 4 points, 3 rebounds
3rd UConn game - 18 minutes, 3 points, 2 rebounds

That's 13 of the tougher games (might have miss a couple) and she had 2 very good games. To me, I don't see how that translates to an All-big east performer. Even with increased minutes.

She did have a good NCAA tourney game against Maryland. Does that mean she will carry this through to next year. I don't think so.

What exactly does Achowa do that would be considered offensive moves? She does the pick and roll well with Diggins. And she can hit the occasional jumper. That's about it as far as I can see in the few games I've watched.

Reaction Score
I was really impressed with her freshman year, but i'm not sure she made the expected jump (much like Dolson) that people probably expected. but she seemed to come on strong at the end of the year. i don't even know who ND will have in the post besides her next year. but i think she will be solid for them. she doesn't have to be spectacular. but then again, i feel ND fans will be disappointed if the expect ND to be one of the best 2 teams in the BE. i'd pick them 3rd or 4th. (behind L'ville for sure, and fairly close to RU and WVU...)

i'll tell ya one thing tho, i'm looking forward to beating the ever-lovin crap out of them next year. i hope Skylar pouts from the start of the game to the finish lol...
Eric, I think you will find "WVU... to be "persona non grata" in the Big East next season. LOL

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I didnt say she would be an All-Big East player but as DD stated her stats mirror Stokes.

thats a pretty solid compliment, who knows what she'll do next season but I will not write her off just as we wont write off Stokes heading into next season.

NA knows she must step up her game and well be needed big time... and maybe that will push her to get better. She is on an elite team, hopefully she has the right mindset to wanting to get better.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I didnt say she would be an All-Big East player but as DD stated her stats mirror Stokes.

thats a pretty solid compliment, who knows what she'll do next season but I will not write her off just as we wont write off Stokes heading into next season.

NA knows she must step up her game and well be needed big time... and maybe that will push her to get better. She is on an elite team, hopefully she has the right mindset to wanting to get better.

DC, I quoted Goodie with the " all big east" so I know you didn't say that.

"she'll have a huge role in keeping ND at the top. "

This I disagree with. She might know she needs to step up, but I'm not convinced she can.ND will miss Peters big time, but more on the defensive end and I'm pretty sure Achowa can't come close to filling those shoes.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
DC, I quoted Goodie with the " all big east" so I know you didn't say that.

"she'll have a huge role in keeping ND at the top. "

This I disagree with. She might know she needs to step up, but I'm not convinced she can.ND will miss Peters big time, but more on the defensive end and I'm pretty sure Achowa can't come close to filling those shoes.
DD Im not questioning you, I know who said "all big-east". This thread isnt Us vs DD's opinion.

She may not turn out to be "all-world" etc. but this is her opportunity to get better over the summer and hopefully help her team stay in the hunt for a National Championship next season.

who knows how she will turn out next season but she didnt look a stiff in the F4 game... dont know her numbers against Baylor (didnt watch it yet) but the Griner-Effect makes every post player's numbers uglier then normal.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Not trying to disagree with anyone here - but I have a question. Isn't Achonwa on the Canadian National team? I remember hearing that last year.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
DD Im not questioning you, I know who said "all big-east". This thread isnt Us vs DD's opinion.

She may not turn out to be "all-world" etc. but this is her opportunity to get better over the summer and hopefully help her team stay in the hunt for a National Championship next season.

who knows how she will turn out next season but she didnt look a stiff in the F4 game... dont know her numbers against Baylor (didnt watch it yet) but the Griner-Effect makes every post player's numbers uglier then normal.

I agree that it is her opportunity to get better. And no doubt she will. She seems like a great kid with a good work ethic.

And she is NOT a stiff either. She has some skills. But some said she could be all big east. I just don't see her making the impact for ND that they need to stay elite.

Just my opinion.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Not trying to disagree with anyone here - but I have a question. Isn't Achonwa on the Canadian National team? I remember hearing that last year.
I thought so.

Reaction Score
Who's arguing that Notre Dame will be elite next season? No one is saying Notre Dame is going to be a national championship contender next season. Their ceiling is bottom half of the top ten with an outside shot at the Final Four if they luck into a favorable bracket as plenty of teams before them have done in years where there isn't four or more elite teams like last season.

I also didn't predict All-Big East for Achonwa. I just said I wouldn't be very surprised if it happened because the kid is that talented and just as importantly will play that many minutes. I do think some are underestimating Notre Dame going into next season, but that doesn't mean I expect them to be elite. Just that I wouldn't dismiss their chances to still be the 2nd best team in the Big East and sneak into the top ten next season so easily.

And she is NOT a stiff either. She has some skills. But some said she could be all big east. I just don't see her making the impact for ND that they need to stay elite.

Just my opinion.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I agree that it is her opportunity to get better. And no doubt she will. She seems like a great kid with a good work ethic.

Just my opinion.

Agree with doggydaddy. Achonwa is a nice player. I see her putting up numbers next year similar to what Dolson put up this year., with a tad more scoring off pick-and-rolls with Skylar (around 12-13 points per game, 6-7 rebounds per game).

But Notre Dame loses three key seniors (two of whom were graduate students). Notre Dame's halfcourt offense and passing were the most efficient and crisp in women's basketball this past year (this is my personal opinion). Having so many players with three/four/five years in the system really helped the Irish execute so well.

Next year, Notre Dame integrates Jewell Loyd (who should start right away), while Achonwa takes Peters' spot in the starting lineup. Peters is more wiry and athletic than Achonwa, who is bigger and appears to be stronger. But Peters played bigger than her height and defended really well; Achonwa has to take that next step from solid bench contributor and rotation player to starter and third scoring option.

I honestly think losing Malina Howard to Maryland will set Notre Dame back much more than that the loss of three seniors.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I just had the time to check and apparently Achonwa is not on either the Senior or Junior Canadian National team at the present time.

Reaction Score
Maybe not currently, but she was on the 2010 World Championship team and she was expected to join the national team for the Olympic qualifying tournament this summer. She may not ultimately play, but there is the expectation at least by her former national teammates that she will be playing. Canada doesn't maintain a player pool like the US, and she did not play in the most recent international events for Canada.
I just had the time to check and apparently Achonwa is not on either the Senior or Junior Canadian National team at the present time.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Who's arguing that Notre Dame will be elite next season? No one is saying Notre Dame is going to be a national championship contender next season. Their ceiling is bottom half of the top ten with an outside shot at the Final Four if they luck into a favorable bracket as plenty of teams before them have done in years where there isn't four or more elite teams like last season.

I also didn't predict All-Big East for Achonwa. I just said I wouldn't be very surprised if it happened because the kid is that talented and just as importantly will play that many minutes. I do think some are underestimating Notre Dame going into next season, but that doesn't mean I expect them to be elite. Just that I wouldn't dismiss their chances to still be the 2nd best team in the Big East and sneak into the top ten next season so easily.

It would help if you would look at who I responded to. I never said you said either one of those things.

"she'll have a huge role in keeping ND at the top." That sounds like elite to me.

"She has the potential to be an All-Big East player " Someone else said that. Never said it was you.

And I think some are overestimating ND.

Coming back next year.

5' 9" Diggins - 30.8 mpg, 16.5 ppg, 5.7 apg, 3.3 rpg
5'11" McBride - 27.7 mpg, 11.6 ppg, 1.7 apg, 4.6 rpg
6'3" Achonwa - 17.2 mpg, 7.6 ppg, 1.4 apg, 4.4 rpg
5'8" Turner - 13.6 mpg, 3.4 ppg, .9 apg, 1.2 rpg
6'2" Wright - 10.3 mpg, 3.3 ppg, .3 apg, 2.1 rpg
6'1" Braker - 7.1 mpg, 2.2 ppg, .9 apg, 2.3 rpg
5'4" Holloway - 8.1 mpg, 1.0, .7 apg, .9 rpg

That's 114 minutes, 45.6 ppg, 11.6 apg and 18.8 rpg returning

Incoming frosh are

5'9" Loyd
5'9" Mabrey
5'9" Huffman

Loyd is terrific and will probably start. Mabrey is a solid guard and will get minutes.

Overall, they have ONE post in Achonwa. Can she stay on the floor for 25-30 minutes? Who plays the post when she is out? Wright? Braker?

They will probably start Diggins, Loyd in the backcourt. McBride at the 3. Wright at the 4 and Achonwa at the 5.

A very small team with one superstar, a very good player in McBride and an inexperienced 2 guard, although very talented. Achonwa has a lot on her shoulders.

I see more of a GTown type season.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I see more of a GTown type season.

Except Muffet is a much better coach and usually gets her team to overachieve come March.

I am guessing Sweet 16. I see more of a Georgia Tech-type season (ironically, the team Georgetown lost to in the second round of this year's NCAA Tournament).

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Except Muffet is a much better coach and usually gets her team to overachieve come March.

I am guessing Sweet 16. I see more of a Georgia Tech-type season (ironically, the team Georgetown lost to in the second round of this year's NCAA Tournament).

That's fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits