NASL in Hartford | Page 9 | The Boneyard

NASL in Hartford

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Nice to see someone trying to revive Hartford City FC. Just get rid of that dumb Colt/horse in the logo. Won't play until next year and is contact with a professional soccer League with an announcement soon.

Entrepreneur Revives Effort To Bring Soccer Team To Hartford
Sounds like this is is exactly the type of plan needed to actually put forward a soccer team at Dillon. If they can prove that they don't need any money and can do it on their own, I can see this being a string start and then support can come later to build a new stadium or renovate Dillon.

Sounds like Hartford, as usual, is dragging their feet here though....I get wanting to be cautious because of the public fiasco from the fall but don't let this team fall through and play somewhere else in the area instead of in Hartford

Reaction Score
Nice to see someone trying to revive Hartford City FC. Just get rid of that dumb Colt/horse in the logo. Won't play until next year and is contact with a professional soccer League with an announcement soon.

Entrepreneur Revives Effort To Bring Soccer Team To Hartford

When I first read his last name I figured he was Afghan and then I read that he owns an Afghan Restaurant.

Anyone have the website?

Reaction Score
I wonder which league he is talking about. I am guessing it is the NPSL.

Reaction Score
HFD/CT market usually gets top 10 for soccer events ratings whether men's/women's US, EPL, etc, not sure about other leagues.

I was looking for Copa Centenario top 10 TV markets,(not fully released) but I found this:

Hartford/New Haven came in 2nd for top 15 markets for Premier League Games on NBC/NBCSN, and USA. # 14 for NBC only

D.C. loves Premier League soccer the most: NBC ratings confirm it.

I know our time zone helps, but beating New York (7) and Boston (4) is nice to see

Reaction Score
Sources: NASL faces major shakeup, potential demise

NASL rapidly approaching the "death throes" phase.

This is a shame in my opinion. NASL was a breakaway league from the old United Soccer Leagues. A few clubs wanted a more professional environment and they did that. Along the way the league was hijacked by corrupt Brazilians and the Cosmos ownership that didn't want to play nice. Since then the USL stepped up their game albeit with heavy MLS involvement.

Hopefully the few good stable clubs that reside in the NASL will migrate to the USL, and maybe we'll get two good lower divisions possibly with promotion and relegation between the 2nd and 3rd.

Reaction Score
Sources: NASL faces major shakeup, potential demise

NASL rapidly approaching the "death throes" phase.

This is a shame in my opinion. NASL was a breakaway league from the old United Soccer Leagues. A few clubs wanted a more professional environment and they did that. Along the way the league was hijacked by corrupt Brazilians and the Cosmos ownership that didn't want to play nice. Since then the USL stepped up their game albeit with heavy MLS involvement.

Hopefully the few good stable clubs that reside in the NASL will migrate to the USL, and maybe we'll get two good lower divisions possibly with promotion and relegation between the 2nd and 3rd.

Reminds me of MLS back in the day when Miami and Tampa folded. Not a fan of NASL leadership, though I do hope the teams that have a solid fan base like Tampa, North Carolina, etc. survive. Maye NYCFC can latch onto the Cosmos plan for a pitch in Belmont.

Reaction Score
Reminds me of MLS back in the day when Miami and Tampa folded. Not a fan of NASL leadership, though I do hope the teams that have a solid fan base like Tampa, North Carolina, etc. survive. Maye NYCFC can latch onto the Cosmos plan for a pitch in Belmont.

I'd be shocked if the plan for NYCFC was to end up in Belmont. They must want something in or near Manhattan.

Reaction Score
I'd be shocked if the plan for NYCFC was to end up in Belmont. They must want something in or near Manhattan.

Good luck with that. If the Yankees, Jets, and Giants couldn't do it, I don't see how NYCFC will be able to build a stadium in Manhattan. They'll be hard-pressed to come up with something in the other 3 boroughs (I think we can also safely rule out S.I.) that meets the space, road and public transit requirements while being even close to Manhattan.

Reaction Score
Good luck with that. If the Yankees, Jets, and Giants couldn't do it, I don't see how NYCFC will be able to build a stadium in Manhattan. They'll be hard-pressed to come up with something in the other 3 boroughs (I think we can also safely rule out S.I.) that meets the space, road and public transit requirements while being even close to Manhattan.

I refuse to believe that Man City came into this project without a stadium plan. Maybe I'll be proven wrong. But if they came in with a stadium plan, it wasn't for a place as inaccessible as Belmont.

Reaction Score
It's been more than 3 years since they announced the franchise. If they had a viable plan don't you think they'd have made it public by now? Devising and executing a workable plan in a major Northeastern metropolitan area can take a decade or more to completion, with a few detours and dropped balls on the way. It took the Red Bulls that long after Columbus convinced everyone that soccer-specific stadiums would work and they sure didn't end up in Manhattan - not even Newark. The Revolution and DC United have also been searching for at least that long and, finally, it looks like one of them may have something in place in a few years.

Belmont is a fine location for the Long Island commuting crowd. They can wear their Islanders jerseys since I suspect many will get tired of fighting their way into Brooklyn. The problem is that it will draw no one from Manhattan or the inner parts of Queens and Brooklyn. The only mass transit is a spur line on the LIRR, which probably won't go over well with the urban audience. You're right, NYCFC should probably keep looking.

Reaction Score
I refuse to believe that Man City came into this project without a stadium plan. Maybe I'll be proven wrong. But if they came in with a stadium plan, it wasn't for a place as inaccessible as Belmont.

They came in with a hope instead of a plan.

Reaction Score
It's been more than 3 years since they announced the franchise. If they had a viable plan don't you think they'd have made it public by now? Devising and executing a workable plan in a major Northeastern metropolitan area can take a decade or more to completion, with a few detours and dropped balls on the way. It took the Red Bulls that long after Columbus convinced everyone that soccer-specific stadiums would work and they sure didn't end up in Manhattan - not even Newark. The Revolution and DC United have also been searching for at least that long and, finally, it looks like one of them may have something in place in a few years.

Belmont is a fine location for the Long Island commuting crowd. They can wear their Islanders jerseys since I suspect many will get tired of fighting their way into Brooklyn. The problem is that it will draw no one from Manhattan or the inner parts of Queens and Brooklyn. The only mass transit is a spur line on the LIRR, which probably won't go over well with the urban audience. You're right, NYCFC should probably keep looking.

The last thing I heard was that they were going to build something on Columbia's campus and do a co use.

Reaction Score
The last thing I heard was that they were going to build something on Columbia's campus and do a co use.

I heard about that one. They were going to take Wien (sp?) Stadium, which is Columbia's football stadium that is visible from the Henry Hudson Parkway toll bridge, and expand it. It would be in Manhattan, barely, but the space is relatively small so the stadium would be smaller than desired and without expansion capability. It would also have limited mass transit access. I guess it fell through.

Reaction Score
I heard about that one. They were going to take Wien (sp?) Stadium, which is Columbia's football stadium that is visible from the Henry Hudson Parkway toll bridge, and expand it. It would be in Manhattan, barely, but the space is relatively small so the stadium would be smaller than desired and without expansion capability. It would also have limited mass transit access. I guess it fell through.

Did not hear that; but, ist a bad idea. Its at the tail end of the subway network for NYC, so it makes it hard to get to and, after catching UConn play baseball at Columbia last spring, I can attest that there is absolutely no parking there.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
It would be only fitting to Hartford if they somehow pull a rabbit out of their hat, land a NASL expansion team, and then in the midst of stadium building the league folds and the stadium stands unfinished.....

I really pull for Hartford to succeed but this would only be fitting for the Haryford sports scene......

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom