Napoli back to Boston | The Boneyard

Napoli back to Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes.

They found a chronic hip issue and it became a one year deal for like 10 or 12 million.

After last year, particularly the good glove he showed to go with the bat and good clubhouse guy parts, he ended up doing better contract wise. I assume the hip risk is still there.

Reaction Score
The guys had by far a "career" year and jumped out early in the RBI department and finished the post season with a bang.....hopefully it's Fenway that made him what he was and he deserves this contract.......doubt it though!
He's better at 1st than you could have thought but the "gg" talk is hilarious GO.......he has Jeter range!

Reaction Score
Not a gold glover but (somewhat surprising to me) a very good first baseman. Picks everything. Makes all the plays. Good arm when needed.

Unlike SS and 2B, I don't give a rat's arse about a 1Bman's range...

Reaction Score
Not a gold glover but (somewhat surprising to me) a very good first baseman. Picks everything. Makes all the plays. Good arm when needed.

Unlike SS and 2B, I don't give a rat's arse about a 1Bman's range...

If you make the plays down the line and in the hole that save guys from going from 1st to 3rd or scoring from 2nd you do........good first baseman do that ...... he never did but as I said he was much better than I thought anyway making the picks and the plays he needs to ........Overbay is really good too but Tex makes all of those plays look easy.........

Hey he had 92 RBI and made the plays he had to who's to bitch?

Reaction Score
If you make the plays down the line and in the hole that save guys from going from 1st to 3rd or scoring from 2nd you do........good first baseman do that ...... he never did but as I said he was much better than I thought anyway making the picks and the plays he needs to ........Overbay is really good too but Tex makes all of those plays look easy.........

Hey he had 92 RBI and made the plays he had to who's to bitch?
Yeah but Tex isn't in the lineup to make any plays. Napoli strikes out way too much probably because he takes too many pitches early in the count. He will get some walks but he gets behind and turns into meat. Nobody would confuse Napoli with Wade Boggs hitting with 2 strikes . He was a surprise at 1B because expectations were low but he turned out to be above average and I'll take that. Glad he is back.
BTW, losing Ellsbury in the leadoff spot is going to be a lot bigger than Sox fans think.

Reaction Score
Agree on hugeness of loss of Ellsbury at leadoff. One of top few in game....300 BA and 50+ SBs. I don't want to think about it.

I would think Pedroia leads off...unless Bradley shows he is ready and moves into it at some point...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pedroia is kind of like Jeter was when they had him leading off........will be pretty damn good at it but he's better in the 2 hole (and 3 too) no doubt.

Reaction Score
The guys had by far a "career" year and jumped out early in the RBI department and finished the post season with a bang.....hopefully it's Fenway that made him what he was and he deserves this contract.......doubt it though!
He's better at 1st than you could have thought but the "gg" talk is hilarious GO.......he has Jeter range!
His career year was in 2011, he hit .320 with 30 HR's for Texas

Reaction Score
Pedroia is kind of like Jeter was when they had him leading off........will be pretty damn good at it but he's better in the 2 hole (and 3 too) no doubt.

Yeah....Could also go with Victorino instead.

Pedroia is better 2 hole guy.

Reaction Score
His career year was in 2011, he hit .320 with 30 HR's for Texas

That certainly was a good year but while 30 HR's is pretty impressive in 420 or so AB's the 75 RBI is a little light.....92 this year was impressive.......

Must have found the good stuff in 2011 huh? (you knew I had to say that - that year sticks out like a sore thumb! lol);)

Reaction Score
If you hit .320 with 30 bombs, then the 75 RBI thing is probably due to the teammates hitting in front of him, and not a negative towards Napoli. 2011 was his best year by far.

Regardless, great signing for the Sox. 16 mil is a little pricey but the market is getting huge and keeping it at 2 years is a terrific job done by Cherrington.

Reaction Score
If Michael Young hits .338 and Elvis Andrus hits .279 it gives you lots of chances for sure problem was he had Hamilton and Cruz in front of him more than likely. Hamilton had 25/92 and Cruz was also high 20's in HR I believe. Kinsler was at .255 leading off and hit 32 bombs that year too. (That team found the good stuff for sure that year)....all in all a very good year for Napoli. "by far" his best is pushing it as 92 RBI, .600 average in the WS and a ring may mean a bit more to him! Average / HR's may not have been as good but production was pretty damn good.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Yes.

They found a chronic hip issue and it became a one year deal for like 10 or 12 million.

After last year, particularly the good glove he showed to go with the bat and good clubhouse guy parts, he ended up doing better contract wise. I assume the hip risk is still there.
1 year for $5 million with incentives which would bring it back up to $13 Million. He was also subject to periodic check ups.

Reaction Score
Yeah but Tex isn't in the lineup to make any plays. Napoli strikes out way too much probably because he takes too many pitches early in the count. He will get some walks but he gets behind and turns into meat. Nobody would confuse Napoli with Wade Boggs hitting with 2 strikes . He was a surprise at 1B because expectations were low but he turned out to be above average and I'll take that. Glad he is back.
BTW, losing Ellsbury in the leadoff spot is going to be a lot bigger than Sox fans think.
Yeah, but despite hitting .217 with 2 HR's and just 7 RBI's in the post season, the Sox probably don't make it to the World Series without him. Arguably, the Cardinals and Tigers had more pure talent than the Sox, but the Sox had the better team.

Reaction Score
If Michael Young hits .338 and Elvis Andrus hits .279 it gives you lots of chances for sure problem was he had Hamilton and Cruz in front of him more than likely. Hamilton had 25/92 and Cruz was also high 20's in HR I believe. Kinsler was at .255 leading off and hit 32 bombs that year too. (That team found the good stuff for sure that year)....all in all a very good year for Napoli. "by far" his best is pushing it as 92 RBI, .600 average in the WS and a ring may mean a bit more to him! Average / HR's may not have been as good but production was pretty damn good.
His OPS in 2011 was 1046 and he was on the verge of being named the 2011 WS MVP until their bullpen and Nelson Cruz blew it.

Why do you always have to argue with me when I'm right? :)

Reaction Score
His OPS in 2011 was 1046 and he was on the verge of being named the 2011 WS MVP until their bullpen and Nelson Cruz blew it.

Why do you always have to argue with me when I'm right? :)

You win.......only because I could care less about Napoli anyways! Otherwise I would find something, anything to keep myself in this "argument" to attempt to prove you're wrong, even though I couldn't!! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom