Napier out after surgery | The Boneyard

Napier out after surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And now Tyler Olander is sidelined for a few weeks with an ankle sprain. Per Kevin Duffy.

Reaction Score
don't understand why this wasn't done sooner, reminiscent of UConn docs letting Bradley walk around with a broken ankle for weeks last year.

Reaction Score
don't understand why this wasn't done sooner, reminiscent of UConn docs letting Bradley walk around with a broken ankle for weeks last year.

Bones in feet are delicate and they don't always heal properly, but if the alternative is surgery with screws to hold bones together, you want to give nature as much time as possible first.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Really worried about his this. It bothered him all last year, they put him in a boot this offseason and yet he STILL needs surgery a month from the start of practice. Hopefully this fixes it, and he's 100% by the start of the season, but I'm not holding my breath.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen this posted yet but UConn reports that Napier will miss the next several weeks after surgery on his troublesome foot/stress fracture. He is, however, expected to be 100% by the time practice starts. Let's hope this puts an end to the problem

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/091012aaa.html

All good but "several" weeks will easily lead into October 15th and missed practice time......hope it's quicker than they're saying or the 2 guards will miss a lot of time together yet again this year!!

Reaction Score
And they thought of this NOW?? If it were my foot, I'd go to a place like Hospl for Special Surgery in NYC.

Reaction Score
As much as we all wish he had taken care of this sooner, I completely understand why athletes prefer rest over an operation. There's just no way of telling how the foot, ankle or whatever part of the body will respond to rest and it simply takes time. At some point, which apparently is now, surgery is the way to go. Like the rest of you, I just wish they came to this decision sooner.

We all wish you a speedy recovery, Bazz!

Regardless of no post season play, I'm still looking forward to seeing this team come together and the players develop into something more than what we witnessed last season. Bazz, like some of the others have a lot of upside. We got a glance early last season before he injured his foot, as to what he is capable of doing doing. I hope he can get back to that level of play sooner than later and build on it as the season goes. He's got to get back healthy though first.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Speedy recovery Bazz!

Reaction Score
All good but "several" weeks will easily lead into October 15th and missed practice time......hope it's quicker than they're saying or the 2 guards will miss a lot of time together yet again this year!!

I'm a bit dubious as well but the article says he'll be heeled in time despite missing "several weeks". We'll see. I suppose it depends to some extent on one's definition of "several".

Reaction Score
Not an expert but the way Bazz plays, especially as a quick guard, can he really recover 100%?

If so then he will certainly be a better and downright awesome player as opposed to last season.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Not an expert but the way Bazz plays, especially as a quick guard, can he really recover 100%?

If so then he will certainly be a better and downright awesome player as opposed to last season.

Can he recover 100%? Absolutely
Is it a given that he will? No. That's the thing, there's no telling how Bazz' metatarsal (a very weak bone, even w/o a stress fracture) reacts to the surgical procedure, but for the most part individuals do make a complete recovery (even a slasher, quick change of direction individual like Bazz is not worrisome) BUT its not guaranteed, and there is a small chance that this elective surgery can exacerbate the problem.
That's why he's been in the boot all summer, and is now deciding to have surgey. Generally, surgery should always be the last resort. However, I'm assuming that rest and the restriction of the foot via the boot over the summer unfortunately did not do the trick.
The procedure is fairly common, will he be 100% at the time for "first practice"?, it's possible but I doubt it, nevertheless, over the course of the season (even the first game in Germany) he'll be A-OK, and back to the Bazz who can beat anyone with that quick first step.

(lol, I'm not talkin out of my a**, I'm a third year med student)

Call me crazy, but I think he may have benefitted from his foot last season. I think it forced him to be more cognitive on the court, b/c he couldn't rely on that natural athletic ability (and any of you who have prior experience, the "foot" and the "back" can basically cripple you at times). Offensively, once he fully recovers he should be that much more dangerous, driving the lane and kicking out instead of relying on his perimeter shot. Defensively the injury really took away that (fast twitch) ability to strip the ball and jump into passing lanes. I think we'll see the defensive Bazz of freshman year again.

Reaction Score
If Shabazz were a real leader, he would've gotten this surgery weeks ago. Or not at all.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
If Shabazz were a real leader, he would've gotten this surgery weeks ago. Or not at all.

I think the fact that he decided to not play on the Puerto Rican national team, even though he made the squad because he needed to focus on his foot, makes more than a leader than most. The decision to get or not to get surgery is handled by the medical staff at the University of Connecticut. He has done everything he's been told to do up to this point (with the recent surgery). Personally I think he should be commended, rather than criticized.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
They're not letting a 20 year old kid decide if he gets surgery or not. My guess is they were hoping it would heal on its own and they set a cut off date that would allow him to come back in time for practice after the surgery. That date rolled around and they decided he wouldn't be ready if he didn't get surgery so they decided he had to go under the knife.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Sarcasm, folks
Internet + Seeing someone else respond as if serious + General lunacy and hate for Shabazz by some here = Me not even thinking about sarcasm

Reaction Score
Can he recover 100%? Absolutely
Is it a given that he will? No. That's the thing, there's no telling how Bazz' metatarsal (a very weak bone, even w/o a stress fracture) reacts to the surgical procedure, but for the most part individuals do make a complete recovery (even a slasher, quick change of direction individual like Bazz is not worrisome) BUT its not guaranteed, and there is a small chance that this elective surgery can exacerbate the problem.
That's why he's been in the boot all summer, and is now deciding to have surgey. Generally, surgery should always be the last resort. However, I'm assuming that rest and the restriction of the foot via the boot over the summer unfortunately did not do the trick.
The procedure is fairly common, will he be 100% at the time for "first practice"?, it's possible but I doubt it, nevertheless, over the course of the season (even the first game in Germany) he'll be A-OK, and back to the Bazz who can beat anyone with that quick first step.

(lol, I'm not talkin out of my a**, I'm a third year med student)

Call me crazy, but I think he may have benefitted from his foot last season. I think it forced him to be more cognitive on the court, b/c he couldn't rely on that natural athletic ability (and any of you who have prior experience, the "foot" and the "back" can basically cripple you at times). Offensively, once he fully recovers he should be that much more dangerous, driving the lane and kicking out instead of relying on his perimeter shot. Defensively the injury really took away that (fast twitch) ability to strip the ball and jump into passing lanes. I think we'll see the defensive Bazz of freshman year again.
I agree a 100% with what Sammy is saying. Although I'm no doctor or med student, I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once.

Reaction Score
Fractures of a 5th metatarsal are very tricky.

Depending on if the the fracture was at the base or through the shaft of the bone would completely change treatment options. If at the base, the standard of care is walking boot and weight bearing as tolerated. If it was through the shaft, you make the patient non weight bearing and can surgically fix it. Many times, the fracture pattern is in between the two zones and that's where the art of being an orthopaedic surgeon and experience comes in.

Without personally seeing his x-rays my guess is the fracture pattern was in between these 2 zones and they tried nonoperative management first. Unfortunately, he didn't heal...happens quite often in lower extremity fractures below the knee. Now they are fixing it.

From my professional experience, I personally doubt he will be 100% by October 13th. Bone on average takes 4-6 weeks to heal. If he makes a quick recovery and everything goes perfect he has a chance to be 100% by then. I like to have a more conservative outlook and think he'll be 100% closer to 6 weeks from now.

Foot and ankle trauma in orthopaedics a little harder to predict than say knee or shoulder issues.

Reaction Score
Fractures of a 5th metatarsal are very tricky.

Depending on if the the fracture was at the base or through the shaft of the bone would completely change treatment options. If at the base, the standard of care is walking boot and weight bearing as tolerated. If it was through the shaft, you make the patient non weight bearing and can surgically fix it. Many times, the fracture pattern is in between the two zones and that's where the art of being an orthopaedic surgeon and experience comes in.

Without personally seeing his x-rays my guess is the fracture pattern was in between these 2 zones and they tried nonoperative management first. Unfortunately, he didn't heal...happens quite often in lower extremity fractures below the knee. Now they are fixing it.

From my professional experience, I personally doubt he will be 100% by October 13th. Bone on average takes 4-6 weeks to heal. If he makes a quick recovery and everything goes perfect he has a chance to be 100% by then. I like to have a more conservative outlook and think he'll be 100% closer to 6 weeks from now.

Foot and ankle trauma in orthopaedics a little harder to predict than say knee or shoulder issues.

What up doc?

My sources have confirmed there is a "select group" of University of Connecticut nursing hottie coeds ready, willing & able to help Xpedite the recovery time/process for this fracture of the 5th metatarsal.

In conclusion, the hot future nurse practitioners will be 1 of the key intangibles creating a very strong possibility we will be on the 4 week side of this prognostication regardless of the condition of Shabazz's shaft.

JMHO...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01