Napier, Boat, And Daniels: | The Boneyard

Napier, Boat, And Daniels:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
These guys will be legendary Huskies by the time they are done. Napier will be amazing next year. Boat and Daniels have 2 more years each. In there Sr seasons they will be ridiculous. They are going to be coached and developed so well by Ollie and Staff. It doesnt hurt that they have so much to play for this year and next.

Reaction Score
I was going to write about just Napier and felt remiss not mentioning Boat and Daniels. Olander might end up amazing his Sr year too. He certainly is developing. I also think that if we either develop Wolf and Nolan and bring in some additional Bigs we are looking at deep runs next year and the year after. Of course we dont mention Giffey or Calhoun who could end up amazing next year too. I am guilty of loving our guys too much. And I am so happy we purged.

Reaction Score
First of all, we've played two games so it's hard to say. Boatright looks like a stud. Love Shabazz but he still settles for bad shots/can be a little out of control sometime (case in point that fade away three he bricked with 20 seconds on the shot clock). Daniels just needs to learn his role; he looks a little confused out there when he has the ball on the perimeter... wants to shoot but knows that isn't what hes out there for anymore. I'd add Omar to this list... we haven't had a pure pure off the ball three point shooter since really Rashad. If he can knock down shots like he's been doing, he's gonna be one of our best players. He can clearly get to the hole as well.

Reaction Score
It's a weak guard class this year. Boatright and Napier could potentially both enter the draft after this season. Especially Boatright

This is my worry for next year.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
(skip to final paragraph for a more straight to the point summary instead of long winded explanation)

If the guard class remains weak this year, I could see Bazz leaving. But if a few guards emerge as 1st round draft picks, it will force him to stay. Napier doesn't have the sheer athleticism to warrant leaving early assuming an average draft class, IMO. He is a very good on ball defender when he isn't making his sometimes ill advised steal attempts and disappearing behind screens (seen improvement in both of these areas as he has gained experience) so that is a definite plus. He's not a bad shooter obviously but not good enough IMO to make up for his sometimes questionable shot selection and lack of explosive athleticism. Don't get me wrong, I think he will be one of the best PGs we've had when his career here is over, I just think it is a 4 year career. And I think he gets drafted, just not after this season. He shot I think around 35% from 3 last year. If he can get that up to 40% then his stock will definitely improve. To sum up, it could happen and it would likely result in a great season this year, but I don't think he will quite be ready until next year.

Boatright is more likely to leave because of his insane athleticism. If he can get his shooting to a pretty good level, that and his athleticism will make up for his lack of size. I think he actually had a slightly better 3 PT% than Bazz last year (granted that's taking less shots) so that plus his big strength in athleticism will probably send him to the league this year. I think he has to put up some very good numbers to go this year. I think that after next year he is definitely gone though. I'll put it at maybe 65% this year due to his athletic gifts and maybe 90% next year assuming normal progression. The 65% is only that low due to his size. If he had an extra 20 pounds and/or 1 or 2 inches he would be gone this year no doubt about it.

Long story short, Bazz probably comes back unless he improves his shooting and the only thing that might keep Boatright here one more year is his size. If they are both back next year, our back court will basically be an unstoppable force. I'm (selfishly as a fan) hoping for this because I would really hate to see their talents to go waste in a year when we do go to the post-season. Either way, this year will be very fun to watch. I just hope we can keep it going next year.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Agree, would love to see both SN and RB back next year. Looking at the last few draft years, undersized guards are not typically lottery picks and if you aren't a lottery pick, it doesn't make a lot of sense to leave early. Early picks as PGs have included Irving 6'3"', Lillard 6'2-3" , Wall 6'4" Dion Waiters 6'4" and of course, Derek Rose 6'4" & most of these guys have also been quite muscular. RB will likely measure at 5'10" and SN at 6'0". I love them on our team...not sure how much an NBA GM would though. Now Kemba did go 9th or so but he is much stronger, averaged 23.5 ppt and led his team to the title?

In the last five years only 3 players under 6'2" went in the lottery: Kemba, Mike Conley (solid player but maybe not 4th pick worthy) and Jonny Flynn (major bust)

Reaction Score
Boatright is eyeing the nba I've seen a massive Jump in his game. Seems like he can get his shot literally whenever . But them staying makes us have the best backcourt two years running

Reaction Score
It's a weak guard class this year. Boatright and Napier could potentially both enter the draft after this season. Especially Boatright

Just can't see it..........both very good players but still undersized for the next level..........will not go early enough to make it worth their while and the fact this team will overachieve this year and the NCAA tourney will be back as a goal as well as titles, they will be back!!

Reaction Score
I'm viewing this as Boatright's last year.
That's good for the program, because he's going to bring it every game, balls to the wall because 1). He views this as his audition for the NBA - and 2). He's a winner by nature.
When discussing whether SN and RB will enter the draft, you have to consider their own perspectives, and not just whether an NBA GM will want them.

Fact is, RB is hyper-confident. Many would say over-confident and cocky. This is part of what makes him a great player. But it's also going to impact his decision making. He said he considered entering the draft this year. That's clearly irrational talk, but there it is, nonetheless.

At the end of this season, I'd give RB an 80% of being gone, and whether he's a lottery pick is not relevant to that discussion.

My opinion is that there isn't a spot in the NBA anymore for a 5/10 player, unless that player is a once-in-a-lifetime talent. Kemba Walker is that guy. Ryan Boatright probably is not that guy.

But of course I'd wish him well and hope for his success.

SN, on the other hand, probably wants to stay at UConn for 4 years and make another deep run his senior year. Just that kind of person. Further, he's probably more realistic about his chances in the NBA - I'd say he doesn't have NBA athleticism and size, but I'm not an NBA GM.

So I see Ryan probably gone this year, almost definitely next, with about zero chance he's here his senior year.

Would love to see it, of course, but I also completely support every UConn player doing what he thinks is best for his own life.

Reaction Score
I think they will want to stay to have a chance at a title next year. Now if Warde doesn't renew Ollie, then I could see them bolting and couple more transferring...

Reaction Score
One thing I haven't thought of yet until this thread -- we all know that Calhoun has his connections in the NBA who would let him know where one of his players would likely be selected in the draft. This information would then allow JC to advise that player on whether he should stay or go. I would assume that we will still have this advantage with Ollie, seeing as he played for just about half the teams in the league and I'm sure he has a ton of connections.

Did any player not listen to Calhoun on whether to stay or enter the draft? The only guy I can think of is Josh Boone.

Reaction Score
If RB sees a chance of making a deep run in the NCAAs in 2014 that might also be a motivation to comeback.

Reaction Score
Just can't see it..........both very good players but still undersized for the next level..........will not go early enough to make it worth their while and the fact this team will overachieve this year and the NCAA tourney will be back as a goal as well as titles, they will be back!!
It is a bit too early to speculate, but I seem to follow your line of thought.

What big man prospect doesn't see a huge opportunity with this back court? All big men are looking to join a team with a loaded back court to get them the ball, and an empty front court for them to have a good opp at PT. The guard play could really help our recruiting.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I think Boatright would need to have a huge year to leave. He's way too small to get drafted in the first round without putting up big time numbers. I think he has that kind of big year next season, then leaves.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Ty Lawson put up great numbers his junior year and won a national championship -- don't discount the bump a player gets from that.

If Boatright shoots 47% from 3, above 50% overall, and dishes 6 assists a game, he'll have a great shot at getting drafted.

Reaction Score
Did any player not listen to Calhoun on whether to stay or enter the draft? The only guy I can think of is Josh Boone.
Pretty sure JC advised Charlie V to stay [EDIT - I was wrong about this - see below]. Guy got drafted 7th and made a huge contract. If he had listened to JC, he maybe moves up a couple spots the next year. Savvy of him to go when he did.

Re: Boone - The fact is, Boone didn't want to be at UConn anymore. I consider Boone to be a prime example of JC losing touch with the kids. How many players before Boone actually took a big step backwards in their Junior year at UConn? None that I can remember. Guy dropped in all categories, and appeared to not have any fun whatsoever in that last year.

He ended up going 23 and lasting for 4 years in the NBA. Would he have done better if he stayed at UConn one more year? I doubt it. Boone had heart, but it was mostly sapped in that last year.

I know a bunch of folks differ on this point, but I don't think the college head coach is a great source for determining whether you should go pro. Fact is, there is a huge conflict of interest and I don't think there are many men out there, no matter how fair in their dealings with others, are sagacious enough to put aside all of their own bias when rendering advice to a kid who could be the difference between national championship and not the next year.

Fact is, JC encouraged CV to stay, and if CV had stayed, there is a great chance that 06 ends up being the third RING for JC. Charlie had 14/8/2BL in his sophomore year (in 25 minutes per game!!!), could shoot from deep, was an excellent defender, and would have been just a beast as a Junior.

I know that's not popular, but that's the way it is.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure JC advised Charlie V to stay. Guy got drafted 7th and made a huge contract. If he had listened to JC, he maybe moves up a couple spots the next year. Savvy of him to go when he did.

Re: Boone - The fact is, Boone didn't want to be at UConn anymore. I consider Boone to be a prime example of JC losing touch with the kids. How many players before Boone actually took a big step backwards in their Junior year at UConn? None that I can remember. Guy dropped in all categories, and appeared to not have any fun whatsoever in that last year.

He ended up going 23 and lasting for 4 years in the NBA. Would he have done better if he stayed at UConn one more year? I doubt it. Boone had heart, but it was mostly sapped in that last year.

I know a bunch of folks differ on this point, but I don't think the college head coach is a great source for determining whether you should go pro. Fact is, there is a huge conflict of interest and I don't think there are many men out there, no matter how fair in their dealings with others, are sagacious enough to put aside all of their own bias when rendering advice to a kid who could be the difference between national championship and not the next year.

Fact is, JC encouraged CV to stay, and if CV had stayed, there is a great chance that 06 ends up being the third RING for JC. Charlie had 14/8/2BL in his sophomore year (in 25 minutes per game!!!), could shoot from deep, was an excellent defender, and would have been just a beast as a Junior.

Nah he advised CV to leave, CV's mother had got hit by like a sanitation truck or something like that at some point in his college career, he told CV to go for the money.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Pretty sure JC advised Charlie V to stay. Guy got drafted 7th and made a huge contract. If he had listened to JC, he maybe moves up a couple spots the next year. Savvy of him to go when he did.

He told CV to stay after his freshman year, which he did and was absolutely the right call.

Reaction Score
Nah he advised CV to leave, CV's mother had got hit by like a sanitation truck or something like that at some point in his college career, he told CV to go for the money.
You're right.
I was wrong.
Good call, JC.

(But I stand by my point!!)

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
You're right.
I was wrong.
Good call, JC.

(But I stand by my point!!)

Spoken like a true lawyer, never admitting they are wrong even when admitting they are wrong. JC has told other kids to go pro, even when they weren't sure themselves or wanted to stay: Caron, Rudy....okay, who else has a better memory than moi?

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Spoken like a true lawyer, never admitting they are wrong even when admitting they are wrong. JC has told other kids to go pro, even when they weren't sure themselves or wanted to stay: Caron, Rudy....okay, who else has a better memory than moi?
I believe Thabeet was torn between providing money for his family back home and staying in college to refine his game. Pretty sure Calhoun told him to capitalize on his draft value his Junior year to take the guaranteed millions. Realistically Thabeet was never going to be a star even if he came back one more year so it's hard to argue with leaving and being drafted that high given his family's financial situation.

Having said that, I don't know if Thabeet was leaning towards coming back or not. I imagine he wanted to go for the money but knew he wasn't ready and Calhoun encouraged him to put his family first. I think that was the right move.

Edit: In terms of legit NBA stars/starters, I can't help you out there. Everyone I think of was pretty much a lock to go (BG, EO, RH etc.). Actually now that I put Rip in that list I feel like I remember seeing he almost left after his Sophomore year but was talked into returning which was probably a good move (for him, not just because we got our first title out of it). I could be mistaken though, I was 7 at the end of his Sophomore year.

Reaction Score
If RB sees a chance of making a deep run in the NCAAs in 2014 that might also be a motivation to comeback.

I don't see Boat caring about that at all. I think he bolts for the NBA at the first realistic opportunity -- and I think that means if he's projected as a 1st-rounder (even though, of course, about 50 guys are projected as 1st-rounders) he's gone.

I imagine there are a lot of voices in his ear encouraging him to take the money and not a lot of voices encouraging him to stay in school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom