Napheesa named AP First Team All-American | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Napheesa named AP First Team All-American

Reaction Score
It's interesting how little this correlates to most mock drafts for the WNBA. Most of those have Ionescu, Brown, Durr, and Ogunbuwale as the likely first four picks. I would expect Kalani Brown to be a dominant player in the WNBA, particularly since she has a 15-18 foot shot that seems to be fairly reliable.

I'm not sure how well Napheesa's skill set translates to the W, even more so after Louisville was able to defend her rather effectively on Sunday. As I recall, she couldn't generate much traction in the Baylor game, against the kind of bigger defenders that she will face routinely at the next level. It seems to me that she will have to rely much more on her speed and her jump shooting at the professional level than she has done at UConn. That make take some substantial adjustment of her game.

Seems to me like Durr was defended pretty well yesterday by CD, much less some quicker/taller WNBA player and everyone seems to think that she will be just fine at the next level.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
McCowan is ALWAYS back on defense. Offense, not so much. One stretegem opponents often use against her is having their post run all over the place on offense to tire McCowan out. She also plays 38-40 minutes in most competitive games. Assuming she plays 15-25 in the W, I don't think she'll have any trouble running on both sides of the floor.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Big surprise for me is no Brianna Turner from ND on the Honorable Mention. Not saying she was heads and shoulders of those named but given the national program (ND) and the press she gets I would have figured she’d get a nod here. Maybe a case of overload of other ND players?
I believe the HC’s only get to nominate 3 players, so ND must have nominated Arike, Shepard & Young.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Carlton over KLS is silly and shows lack of knowledge & objectivity. KLS has clearly superior numbers to Durr and for those who say stats are not everything KLS is superior to Durr in intangibles and team play also.

This is confusing. Now who exactly lacks knowledge and objectivity? Are you referencing AP voters or yourself? :D:rolleyes:;)

Reaction Score
I believe the HC’s only get to nominate 3 players, so ND must have nominated Arike, Shepard & Young.
That is WBCA, this is the AP awards. The AP can vote on as many from one school as they want.

Reaction Score
so... does this mean Naphessa not being a finalist for MVP is an elaborate April fools joke?

Reaction Score
Phee gets 27 of 28 first team votes. The most by any of the five first team players. BUT she is not selected as a POY finalist. Someone does not know talent when they see it.

If UConn ends up winning the National Championship and Pheesa MOP during the FF, then those that voted to not to put her in the group of the best-of-the-best are going to be eating a lot of humble pie.

How Pheesa is not on everyone's one's list for PoY is one of this year's mysteries.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Absolutely ridiculous. Carlton isn't even in close to KLS. In fact, for the zilinth time KLS has clearly superior numbers over Durr and that's not even including her incomparable team play and intangibles.

Exactly how many of Carleton's games have you seen? I am guessing 0. Don't lie! ;)How are Lou's numbers clearly superior? Did you even look.? Carleton is 6'1" and Lou is 6'3". I watch three of Carleton's games (no lie! ;)) and I liked what I saw. Which one would I select? Lou. But for the exact same reason as you. I have seen her play what 140 games and you get the fan attachment which defies logic and reason at times. But is Lou dramatically better than Carleton. I don't believe so. For a guard Carleton is quite a rebounder. Also remember Carleton didn't
play in the AAC where stats can easily get inflated. I'll bet the AP voters took that into consideration.
1554162175347.png

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Travesty. KLS has clearly superior numbers over Durr and, of course, that doesn't even include her incomparable intangibles and team play.

Remember the AP voters are comparing stats garnered in ACC versus the AAC. The ACC stats are worth more than the AAC stats. Which makes Phee accomplishment even more amazing.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Ask yourself this question. If KLS was on Carlton's team instead of her do you think KLS would average more than 21 PPG and that team would have won more games.
Ask yourself the same question while remembering Lou would be playing in the B10 versus the stats inflating AAC. Playing AAC teams is like playing DII teams.

Reaction Score
I think Napheesa will be fine. I don’t think she will have to modify her game. She will be a 4, the only reason she’s not a 4 now is because obviously she’s the only option to play 5. She’s 6’1 or 2, most 4’s in the W are about that height. I just don’t think she will struggle because she’s relentless and her motor is through the roof. Like all rookies there’s a transition but from my view she will be fine. Ever since she was in high school, you could tell she was lock for the W with her knack for rebounding and ability to finish in the post. If you get invited to try out for USA B in college and make it end rounds over actual WNBA players sound pretty good to me.

Brown and McCowan, that’s another story. I think they will be liabilities. Anigwe is better than both to me.
Completely agree about Anigwe. She is the more long term C prospect.

Reaction Score
Ask yourself the same question while remembering Lou would be playing in the B10 versus the stats inflating AAC. Playing AAC teams is like playing DII teams.
First of all Carleton doesn't play in the Big 10, she plays in the Big 12. As far as playing for UConn goes KLS sees every opponents best shot because playing UConn is every other team's super bowl and KLS has a target on her back. The vast majority of Women's D1 basketball is pretty much the same. That's why UConn has been able to be so good for so long. This season KLS has played games vs: Oh.St, Vandy, Miss., Depaul, Okla.,Cal, Baylor, ND, S.Car. UCLA & Lou. Let me just say this. Basketball is the most simple of all the team games but there is nuance and one has to have a grasp of that nuance to appreciate the value KLS adds to a team because her stats tell only a part of her total game. It is no accident that she is the only player in all of D1 history to start in 3 national semi final games undefeated in her 1st 3 seasons. However, you can have your opinion and I can have mine.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I can't understand why some UConn fans think KLS faces incredible defenses designed to stop her every game...but no other team's top scorer faces the exact same thing every game? It makes no sense at all. If anything, look at the talent surrounding KLS at UConn and Carleton's teammates at Iowa St. and think about which player is likely to attract more defensive attention.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I hate to state the obvious, but this also wasn't a KLS vs Carleton decision for voters. Every voter picked their slate of players for each team, and results were then tabulated together. So there were likely many voters who had BOTH KLS and Carleton on their second teams. Or BOTH on their third team. Either way, they ended up with pretty much the same cumulative points (60 vs 58) and are both terrific players.

Reaction Score
I can't understand why some UConn fans think KLS faces incredible defenses designed to stop her every game...but no other team's top scorer faces the exact same thing every game? It makes no sense at all. If anything, look at the talent surrounding KLS at UConn and Carleton's teammates at Iowa St. and think about which player is likely to attract more defensive attention.
Ok, let me ask you this. Do you think if Carleton played for UConn in place of KLS do you think she would often be double teamed.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Ok, let me ask you this. Do you think if Carleton played for UConn in place of KLS do you think she would often be double teamed.

Do you get my point? What other players from Iowa St. do defenses really need to be worried about? Every starter from UConn is full capable of scoring 20+ any given game.

Reaction Score
As soon as I posted this I recalled how Tuck got shutout for the same process, that being the limitation of 3 per team. Good catch..

Reaction Score
Do you get my point? What other players from Iowa St. do defenses really need to be worried about? Every starter from UConn is full capable of scoring 20+ any given game.
You don't seem to understand what I'm saying. KLS most of the time is doubled and much of it without the ball. That's happening on this team with all those great players you are talking about. That's how good the majority of opposing coaches view her to be. If she played for ISU she would be doubled virtually all the time especially vs teams like Niagra, N.Dakota,Bucknell & Prairie View.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I think you're trying to say Iowa St played a weak out of conference schedule, except Bucknell was an NCAA tournament team who almost beat Florida St in the first round, and you're also excluding their games against teams like Miami, Iowa, South Dakota, and Drake. Also Carleton was named B12 player of the year for her work in the conference, so again, not sure why you are trying to denigrate the competition she played out of conference. On that note, Carleton played against Baylor 3x, and she was certainly the player they cared about defending the most. She averaged 23ppg, 5.3rpg, 45% FG, 38% 3-pt, and 94% FT against the #1 team in the nation. She is very good

Reaction Score
Kls is defended differently but she’s not double teamed she is grabbed and bumped

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom