Napheesa named AP First Team All-American | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Napheesa named AP First Team All-American

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Carlton over KLS is silly and shows lack of knowledge & objectivity. KLS has clearly superior numbers to Durr and for those who say stats are not everything KLS is superior to Durr in intangibles and team play also.
I don't agree. Carleton is a very deserving recipient. She was named Big 12 POY ahead of Brown. Just because she doesn't get much media attention doesn't mean she's not deserving.

Reaction Score
Carleton (2nd team) had 60 points. Lou had 58, making the 3rd team. The other players on the 3rd team had 15-29 points. Lou was very close.
Absolutely ridiculous. Carlton isn't even in close to KLS. In fact, for the zilinth time KLS has clearly superior numbers over Durr and that's not even including her incomparable team play and intangibles.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Carleton put up 21.7 ppg, 8.6 rpg, 4.0 apg (Iowa State SOS - #6) and won the Big 12 POY award ( #3 RPI conference)

Lou is a better player but Carleton may have had a better season. She is very much worthy of All-American recognition (besides the fact that she is Canadian ;))

Lou is worthy too, but there are more deserving players than there are spots.

Reaction Score
HM:
Alarie (Prin), Barrs (Lamar), Bell (Minn), Chennedy, Charles, Dangerfield, Dillard, Frost (CMU), Harris (Pur), Hebard, Hiedemann, Holmes (Mss St), Howard, Leslie (NCS), Mangakahia*, McDonald (Az), Mompremier, Slocum

10/18 of HM are underclassmen (1 draft eligible), so these are the most likely contenders next year
Mangakahia has already announced she is returning to Syracuse. Isn’t Slocum draft eligible too? and Mompremier too?

Reaction Score
Carleton put up 21.7 ppg, 8.6 rpg, 4.0 apg (Iowa State SOS - #6) and won the Big 12 POY award ( #3 RPI conference)

Lou is a better player but Carleton may have had a better season. She is very much worthy of All-American recognition (besides the fact that she is Canadian ;))

Ask yourself this question. If KLS was on Carlton's team instead of her do you think KLS would average more than 21 PPG and that team would have won more games.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Ask yourself this question. If KLS was on Carlton's team instead of her do you think KLS would average more than 21 PPG and that team would have won more games.
An interesting mental exercise, but ultimately irrelevant to the question.

And no, I don't think she necessarily would. Carleton had a stellar year despite being 1st, 2nd, and 3rd on every opponent's scouting report. None of her teammates were anywhere near as good as she was, and most teams still couldn't slow her down.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Mangakahia has already announced she is returning to Syracuse. Isn’t Slocum draft eligible too? and Mompremier too?
Yes and yes, I believe. I thought I read something that Mangakahia was leaving. I believe she's at least 23 years old, though she does have eligibility remaining.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

I'm with you, but Carleton was on that Iowa State team and did put up those numbers.

I guess it's up to each individual voter as to whether they are voting for who they feel are the best players in the abstract vs. the players had the best stats.

I can see the argument both ways, so I understand why it was a close call for the last spot on the 2nd team.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Yes and yes, I believe. I thought I read something that Mangakahia was leaving. I believe she's at least 23 years old, though she does have eligibility remaining.
She just announced she's staying another year. See Non-UConn news thread on the subforum.

Reaction Score
An interesting mental exercise, but ultimately irrelevant to the question.

And no, I don't think she necessarily would. Carleton had a stellar year despite being 1st, 2nd, and 3rd on every opponent's scouting report. None of her teammates were anywhere near as good as she was, and most teams still couldn't slow her down.
Oh and KLS is not targeted by opponents. ISU lost to S.D, Tex, W Va, TCU and was ousted in the tourney by Mo.St. You can't be serious, can you? She put up big numbers because she had the ball all the time, but that didn't prevent her team from being beaten by inferior teams.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Oh and KLS is not targeted by opponents. ISU lost to S.D, Tex, W Va, TCU and was ousted in the tourney by Mo.St. You can't be serious, can you? She put up big numbers because she had the ball all the time, but that didn't prevent her team from being beaten by inferior teams.
If team performance were the deciding factor, then someone on Baylor and Notre Dame would've been on 1st team.

Reaction Score
I don't agree. Carleton is a very deserving recipient. She was named Big 12 POY ahead of Brown. Just because she doesn't get much media attention doesn't mean she's not deserving.
Agree, when you get POY of a P5 conference you’re bound to be on some 1st or 2nd all-American team.

Reaction Score

I think it was just a math problem. McCowan and Brown were the wild cards. They took up two spots. Their skills are average but they are just so dang big. Frankly I think Anigwe and Cox were both better than either of those two. And to be completely objective I would have taken Carleton over Lou but I would have taken Carleton, Lou and Young over Ogunbawale.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
It's interesting how little this correlates to most mock drafts for the WNBA. Most of those have Ionescu, Brown, Durr, and Ogunbuwale as the likely first four picks. I would expect Kalani Brown to be a dominant player in the WNBA, particularly since she has a 15-18 foot shot that seems to be fairly reliable.

I'm not sure how well Napheesa's skill set translates to the W, even more so after Louisville was able to defend her rather effectively on Sunday. As I recall, she couldn't generate much traction in the Baylor game, against the kind of bigger defenders that she will face routinely at the next level. It seems to me that she will have to rely much more on her speed and her jump shooting at the professional level than she has done at UConn. That make take some substantial adjustment of her game.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Surprised that Pivec from Oregon State isnt on the HM list but Slocum is.

Ditto. Slocum was the leading scorer by a slight margin, but she was totally inconsistent throughout the season. To me Pivec was easily their best player.

Another one they missed I think is no Satou Sabally from Oregon.

Looking at the list, it jumps out at me how many good players there are across the country.

Is there a cap on how many can be named Honorable Mention? Several more that seem deserving off the top of my head are Megan Huff from Utah, Emese Hof from Miami...and nobody from UCLA, really? At least one of Onyenwere or Burke could've been on this list. Oh, and Kianna Ibis from Arizona St. Dijonai Carrington or Kiana Williams from Stanford? I could probably think of a couple dozen that were deserving of Honorable Mention if I kept thinking about it.

Reaction Score
Happy for Pheesa, now she and her sister Lou have 2 AA 1st teams. Pheesa had a great year and her overall game is one of the best in the country. She is a walking bucket and plays excellent defense. All that and her motor is what amazes me, she never looks tired.

Regarding Lou, I thought she was a 2nd team AA. While most of us say shooting is not the most important thing it sure seems like it when a 2x 1st team doesnt make at least 2nd team in a year where she improves her game in every area but struggles (from her own baseline) at shooting with the same accuracy as previous years. I admire most her intangibles and knowledge of the game. Never heard Geno mention her not getting something or not being in the right spot.

Both will be missed.

Reaction Score

Stats don't often tell the story. UConn often doesn't have top scorers. Over the years how many times has Lou hit 20 and then sat out 4th quarter in a romp. Injuries and a sometimes changing role also kept Lou's votes down, especially in a year with so many deserving players. Being among the best non point guards at passing isn't a sexy vote getter either. Her assists often came on passes that were more NFL worthy than NCAA. In the WNBA they will be.

Reaction Score
It's interesting how little this correlates to most mock drafts for the WNBA. Most of those have Ionescu, Brown, Durr, and Ogunbuwale as the likely first four picks. I would expect Kalani Brown to be a dominant player in the WNBA, particularly since she has a 15-18 foot shot that seems to be fairly reliable.

I'm not sure how well Napheesa's skill set translates to the W, even more so after Louisville was able to defend her rather effectively on Sunday. As I recall, she couldn't generate much traction in the Baylor game, against the kind of bigger defenders that she will face routinely at the next level. It seems to me that she will have to rely much more on her speed and her jump shooting at the professional level than she has done at UConn. That make take some substantial adjustment of her game.
I would agree that Napheesa will have to modify her game and become the 4 not the 5 she plays at UConn and she'll be fine. I think Vegas would do themselves a lot of good pairing Pheesa with Wilson. I actually don't think Kalani Brown or McCowen will last long in WNBA unless they get in better shape. They aren't able to run the floor for long periods of time like the current centers in the WNBA. They might end up being good back ups but I don't see starter until fitness is addressed. That's what separates Geno from other coaches, Dolson got fit in college so she was ready for the pros.

Reaction Score
I would agree that Napheesa will have to modify her game and become the 4 not the 5 she plays at UConn and she'll be fine. I think Vegas would do themselves a lot of good pairing Pheesa with Wilson. I actually don't think Kalani Brown or McCowen will last long in WNBA unless they get in better shape. They aren't able to run the floor for long periods of time like the current centers in the WNBA. They might end up being good back ups but I don't see starter until fitness is addressed. That's what separates Geno from other coaches, Dolson got fit in college so she was ready for the pros.
I think Napheesa will be fine. I don’t think she will have to modify her game. She will be a 4, the only reason she’s not a 4 now is because obviously she’s the only option to play 5. She’s 6’1 or 2, most 4’s in the W are about that height. I just don’t think she will struggle because she’s relentless and her motor is through the roof. Like all rookies there’s a transition but from my view she will be fine. Ever since she was in high school, you could tell she was lock for the W with her knack for rebounding and ability to finish in the post. If you get invited to try out for USA B in college and make it end rounds over actual WNBA players sound pretty good to me.

Brown and McCowan, that’s another story. I think they will be liabilities. Anigwe is better than both to me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom