Napheesa Collier is heir-apparent to face of the franchise. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Napheesa Collier is heir-apparent to face of the franchise.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
So happy for Pheesa. She totally deserves every accolade she gets and she's working her ass off to get better and better. I love thinking about her on all star teams, all WNBA teams, and most importantly, Olympic and WC USA teams. She's on the right track. I don't think many predicted she'd be so much better than Lou in the pro's. I know Lou was injured this year, but she's had almost zero impact thus far in her career. Hope that changes next year.

As for Maya... I know it sounds harsh, but it IS a waste of her talent. She was one of the best hoops players in the world. Having said that... I totally respect her decision to follow her heart and her faith. The world of professional women's basketball has lost one of its' brightest stars, but the WNBA's loss is the rest of the world's gain. She's taking her shining light and serving a different purpose that feeds her soul.

She will be sorely missed in the game, but for those whose lives she impacts in her "new" life, I suspect she will be their angel...

Eric, you talk like Maya is not coming back. Did I miss something?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Eric, you talk like Maya is not coming back. Did I miss something?
No you did not. I have no inside knowledge and haven't even followed her journey since she left basketball as much as others on here.

But... having said that... for her to leave basketball - something she's put her heart and soul into since she was a very young girl, at the prime of her athletic career, tells me something more is going on. I don't know if the person she's helping is a one time thing, or if her spiritual calling has superseded her love of hoops permanently.

I hope she comes back. Something tells me she will not. I'd LOVE to be wrong on this one!! But even if she does come back, what level will she be at? I can't imaging she's been training her body for basketball on a daily basis since she's been gone. If she does some back, how long before she's back in shape, and will it ever be at the level it was before she left?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I love Geno’s quote, and I’m glad to see Pheesa is getting some press.

WRT Maya, I don’t think her path needs to be either/or. I can understand her wanting to go all-in to the criminal justice system to get her feet wet and learn the ropes. Maybe she can do half-and-half for a few years?

If she wants to dedicate herself to that calling, I say good on her. What will improve the world more, playing basketball or working for people the system has let down?

Reaction Score
I love that Pheesa is getting the love she deserves from other people in the league.

Although it was be great to see Maya come back, she has nothing left to prove. She’s won everywhere she’s gone. Her WNBA salary is not comparable to what she makes overseas. If she’s happy doing something else, wish her nothing but the best.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I don't think many predicted she'd be so much better than Lou in the pro's.
Given the year Lou has had and the teams I'd say you are way too premature with such an assessment Eric.

Reaction Score
A great article on Napheesa! I agree with many that Napheesa has proven she deserves the WNBA 2019 Rookie of the Year!
Watching the Washington Mystics at Dallas Wings game tonight (Saturday) and listening to the "talking suits" basically award the ROY to Arike! Barely mentioning that Arike had some competition for the award!
I had stated previously that I felt the ROY award had all ready been awarded to Arike by the Powers That BE back in April and that will be finalized come September!
Napheesa is not the type of person or player that calls attention to herself as IMHO Arike is!
I said I hope I'm wrong but the people that know the least have the votes usually!

Reaction Score
If Maya doesn't come back what a waste of talent that will be.
I strongly disagree. Maya has more than just "talent" on the court. She has talent as a human being who believes in and advocates for social justice. While, yes, she is a generational talent on the court, Maya has already accomplished things for which players work their WHOLE careers...multiple championships (WNBA and abroad), mvps, Olympic gold, etc. So, she is multitalented and is just using other talents now.

Reaction Score
It's like if Tiger Woods gave up golf in his prime to become a used car salesman, or Tom Brady deciding he'd rather serve up burgers and fries than throw footballs. Last time I checked Maya doesn't have a JD. Let someone who is talented and well studied in the law do that job of helping the wrongly accused get out of jail. There are millions of people better at that than Maya.
So, you're saying only those with a professional license should help those in need, such as a wrongfully imprisoned person?! How myopic of a view is that! Attorneys are not the only advocates for social injustice. In fact, there was this person you may have heard of named Martin Luther King, Jr. who was NOT an attorney, but who did more for social injustice than thousands combined. So, if we go back through history and eliminate the persons who did NOT hold a JD, but who impacted social justice, a lot of history would be missing. BTW, I hold a JD, and have done very little in the way of helping a wrongfully convicted person.

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I think Pheesa is a wonderful player
Richly deserving of rookie of the year
Will have a memorable pro career.

But face of the franchise?
A career to compare with Bird, Magic, Maya, Cynthia Cooper, Sheryl Swoopes...and yes our beloved Stewie?

Perhaps not...just really good.

Reaction Score
So happy for Pheesa. She totally deserves every accolade she gets and she's working her ass off to get better and better. I love thinking about her on all star teams, all WNBA teams, and most importantly, Olympic and WC USA teams. She's on the right track. I don't think many predicted she'd be so much better than Lou in the pro's. I know Lou was injured this year, but she's had almost zero impact thus far in her career. Hope that changes next year.

As for Maya... I know it sounds harsh, but it IS a waste of her talent. She was one of the best hoops players in the world. Having said that... I totally respect her decision to follow her heart and her faith. The world of professional women's basketball has lost one of its' brightest stars, but the WNBA's loss is the rest of the world's gain. She's taking her shining light and serving a different purpose that feeds her soul.

She will be sorely missed in the game, but for those whose lives she impacts in her "new" life, I suspect she will be their angel...
I actually did expect her to be much better as a pro. I won't voice any negatives about KLS. I'll just say IMO, Collier is physically stronger, has better balance, has quicker reactions, can much better play through contact, and doesn't have to be open to score. I feel she is top 4 all-around ever at UConn and you probably know who the other 3 would be.

Reaction Score

A career to compare with Bird, Magic, Maya, Cynthia Cooper, Sheryl Swoopes...and yes our beloved Stewie?

2. X all American , 1 second team all American 2 time conference player of year but still overlooked for others even by UConn fans lol

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I would not bet against her. She is a smart, multi-talented and unselfish player who is well spoken it takes everything about her job seriously.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

No reason to limit her ceiling until we see what unfolds. Her work ethic and ability to absorb and learn new things is as good as it gets. Even in the U18's (and earlier) she was marked for greatness.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I know right? Love to see Napheesa getting props, but on the other hand it’s very disconcerting to hear Augustus talk like this . . . . Until recently, Maya had already taken over as face of the franchise IMO. Now she’s talking about someone else sliding into that role ? And not even a mention of Maya? Does Seimone know something we don’t (yet)...?

:(
once Maya took time off... I knew she was done. You just dont run off and think you're gonna be welcomed back with open arms. I don't care who you are... but if you're Maya or DT its very possible

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom