Napheesa Collier is heir-apparent to face of the franchise. | The Boneyard

Napheesa Collier is heir-apparent to face of the franchise.

Reaction Score
Lynx's Napheesa Collier is WNBA rookie front-runner, heir-apparent to face of the franchise

Some nice quotes from coaches:

“It’s Collier,” Washington coach Mike Thibault said regarding the top rookie race. “Dallas might not be where they are without Ogunbowale, but Collier has had the most impact from Day 1. And she has stayed consistent. She plays like a veteran. I don’t even think it’s close.”

After the game, when asked about Collier, Sky coach James Wade said, simply: “She’s got my vote.”

And high praise from Geno:
“She’s just beginning to assert herself,” Auriemma said. “In the coming years you’re going to see one of the most dominant players in the league. This is the worst she’s going to be. You’re looking at a multi-Olympian, a multi-All-Star.”

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Lynx's Napheesa Collier is WNBA rookie front-runner, heir-apparent to face of the franchise

“It’s Collier,” Washington coach Mike Thibault said regarding the top rookie race. “Dallas might not be where they are without Ogunbowale, but Collier has had the most impact from Day 1. And she has stayed consistent. She plays like a veteran. I don’t even think it’s close.”

After the game, when asked about Collier, Sky coach James Wade said, simply: “She’s got my vote.”

“She’s just beginning to assert herself,” Auriemma said. “In the coming years you’re going to see one of the most dominant players in the league. This is the worst she’s going to be. You’re looking at a multi-Olympian, a multi-All-Star.”

Oh. Oh. Arike plays Washington today in Dallas. Some Bulletin Board Material.:eek:

Just a great article. Got to admit I am a little worried about the weight of expectations so soon as evidenced below.

'
Augustus, who has battled a sore right knee all season, who has already announced that 2020 will be her final WNBA season, who has been the face of this franchise since she was the league’s ROY back in 2006, has other goals in mind.

Every day, every trip, every meal, she is grooming Collier to take over.

“I say, ‘You’re going to be the ROY,’ ” Augustus said. “ ‘That’s just the way it’s going to be. From there we’ll have expectations for you to carry this team on. Take this team, this franchise, everything. I’m passing you the torch. In a year and a half it’s going to be you.’

“I’m grooming her to take over the team.” '

But I guess no one has more expectations for Naphessa than Naphessa. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m sincerely hoping Maya comes back for at least a few more seasons so I can see Napheesa and Maya play together. I know they both technically play the 3, but I would imagine that they would interchange between the 2-4 while on the court together depending on who else is on the court.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
So no more Maya on the Lynx?

I know right? Love to see Napheesa getting props, but on the other hand it’s very disconcerting to hear Augustus talk like this . . . . Until recently, Maya had already taken over as face of the franchise IMO. Now she’s talking about someone else sliding into that role ? And not even a mention of Maya? Does Seimone know something we don’t (yet)...?

:(

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The whole article about making Pheesa the successor seems to indicate the Lynx have psychologically turned the corner and do not expect Maya back.

On the JUMP interview, Napheesa was asked multiple times if she heard from Maya and Napheesa said no . Even though this recent article (second story) says the team and Maya have been in contact and hope she returns next summer, it does not sound to me like there is any level of meaningful communication going on.

Lynx Mailbag: Playoff Race Heating Up, Update on Moore and is Augustus Injured? | Zone Coverage

Off the court, this action in social justice seems to be the last information I could find

Maya Moore Left Basketball. A Prisoner Needed Her Help.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

I do trust that guy's judgment. Phee, you've earned every bit of it.

Reaction Score
To me, there’s no better use of talent than helping free a wrongly accused man from prison.
Agreed. I would call Maya leaving basketball less a “waste of talent” and more a “decision to use other talents”. I hope this isn’t the last of Maya Moore and basketball, but if it is I’ll still be a huge fan of her and her work ethic.

Reaction Score
To me, there’s no better use of talent than helping free a wrongly accused man from prison.
It's like if Tiger Woods gave up golf in his prime to become a used car salesman, or Tom Brady deciding he'd rather serve up burgers and fries than throw footballs. Last time I checked Maya doesn't have a JD. Let someone who is talented and well studied in the law do that job of helping the wrongly accused get out of jail. There are millions of people better at that than Maya.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Great read.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
It's like if Tiger Woods gave up golf in his prime to become a used car salesman, or Tom Brady deciding he'd rather serve up burgers and fries than throw footballs. Last time I checked Maya doesn't have a JD. Let someone who is talented and well studied in the law do that job of helping the wrongly accused get out of jail. There are millions of people better at that than Maya.
Maya has made clear that she answers to her faith over her fans. And if her fans equate freeing the innocent from prison with selling used cars, I certainly won’t begrudge her that position.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I agree that Maya should do what her conscience dictates, and I think that as an Olympic athlete with a national reputation, she can get attention for a judicial injustice that no amount of lawyers-you've-never-heard-of could hope to obtain.

On the other hand, if the Lynx are ready to move on but Maya still wants to play basketball and prepare for the 2020 Olympics, I'm sure that the Sun would be happy to allow her to reprise the role of "face of a Connecticut WBB franchise." That would be a second act for the ages.

CL82

Reaction Score
Maya has made clear that she answers to her faith over her fans. And if her fans equate freeing the innocent from prison with selling used cars, I certainly won’t begrudge her that position.
Why mischaracterize @hoopfan515's point which was that Maya doesn't have to be physically present to support Irons effort to have his case heard? It's a valid point.

If you read the article you can see that she feels so strongly about the issue and about Irons' case specifically that she's willing to forego earnings and dedicate herself to the process, including spending time with him. It is really admirable. You can make that point without mischaracterizing what hoopfan had to say.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Maya is following, for lack of a better term, a higher calling. Her faith is determining her direction in life. This is not a waste of talent at all. We need more Maya's in the world.

If she does not return to basketball, so be it. Whatever path her life takes, one can only wish Maya all the best.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Why mischaracterize @hoopfan515's point which was that Maya doesn't have to be physically present to support Irons effort to have his case heard? It's a valid point.

If you read the article you can see that she feels so strongly about the issue and about Irons' case specifically that she's willing to forego earnings and dedicate herself to the process, including spending time with him. It is really admirable. You can make that point without mischaracterizing what hoopfan had to say.
With respect:
1) I read the article - months ago. Why did you assume I hadn't? I have nothing but respect for Maya and her commitments.

2) I didn't mischaracterize anything. The post said it'd "be like" Woods quitting golf to sell used cars or Brady quitting football to serve burgers. The only relevance of that analogy was to suggest we'd all agree Woods selling used cars or Brady serving burgers would be a waste of talent, and so therefore working to free the innocent from prison must be too. It was very much analogical logic of the form Woods : Used Cards :: Maya : Freeing the Innocent.

3) If anything, you're the one mischaracterizing the post; hoopfan said nothing about whether Maya was needed to be physically present; what they said was that because she doesn't have a JD, "there are millions of people" who are better situated than she to support his case. But as someone else noted, her dedication, commitment of resources, and notoriety have brought much support to his cause that others could not. And regardless, she's following her truth, not ours.

And yeah, was the tone a bit dismissive, sure. I'll cop to that. But so was hoopfan's post; I adapt my style to that of my interlocutor.

CL82

Reaction Score

2) I didn't mischaracterize anything. The post said it'd "be like" Woods quitting golf to sell used cars or Brady quitting football to serve burgers. The only relevance of that analogy was to suggest we'd all agree Woods selling used cars or Brady serving burgers would be a waste of talent, and so therefore working to free the innocent from prison must be too. It was very much analogical logic of the form Woods : Used Cards :: Maya : Freeing the Innocent.

And yeah, was the tone a bit dismissive, sure. I'll cop to that. But so was hoopfan's post; I adapt my style to that of my interlocutor.
His point, albeit a bit inelegantly, was that Maya didn't need to be there to support Irons. He's correct in that. You ignored that and instead focused on the analogy. Kind of pointless no?

My point about the article is if you (anyone, not you specifically) reads the article it becomes clear that Maya is active in visiting Irons and being present at the hearings with her family. It's more that her just offering support from a far.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

One of the best articles on Collier since she left Storrs. Lots of interesting observations made in this piece.
Two points that stood out most to me:
1. Geno's observation that "This is the worst she's going to be", and it will only get better.
2. Augustus chose Pheesa out of all the other players to become the new face of the franchise. Simone knows the game, and has been in and around the league for years. She can recognize a star in the rough when she sees it.

She sees the same potential greatness in her that Jerry West saw in a young 18 year old Kobe Bryant. She feels comfortable in mentoring and grooming her so that next year, she can seamlessly pass the keys and the baton over to her.

There's always a myriad of organizational expectations such as media interviews and neighborhood outreach activities you’re expected to attend. Not to mention the local and national commercial endorsement opportunities.

Collier is self motivated, she wants to be great. She's coachable and a dry sponge around her coaches and team veterans. She's not a "Diva". She just wants to play basketball, and be the very best player she can be.

She went to the VERY BEST finishing school for potential pro BB players. The results are evident in her play and maturity on/off the court. I expect Collier to be playing professionally for the next decade plus. She gets my ROY vote.

Nice piece on Pheesa, thanks MJL243. :)

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So happy for Pheesa. She totally deserves every accolade she gets and she's working her ass off to get better and better. I love thinking about her on all star teams, all WNBA teams, and most importantly, Olympic and WC USA teams. She's on the right track. I don't think many predicted she'd be so much better than Lou in the pro's. I know Lou was injured this year, but she's had almost zero impact thus far in her career. Hope that changes next year.

As for Maya... I know it sounds harsh, but it IS a waste of her talent. She was one of the best hoops players in the world. Having said that... I totally respect her decision to follow her heart and her faith. The world of professional women's basketball has lost one of its' brightest stars, but the WNBA's loss is the rest of the world's gain. She's taking her shining light and serving a different purpose that feeds her soul.

She will be sorely missed in the game, but for those whose lives she impacts in her "new" life, I suspect she will be their angel...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom