Name your 6 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Name your 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The problem with all of the teams on the various teams on these lists is that none (possible exception being Boise) have been mentioned as being wanted by any BCS AQ conference besides the BE. Warm bodies, yes, but teams that will be ranked high enough for the BE to continue to have an AQ, no.

Reaction Score
Just curious, how do you think "Dopey" could have saved the conference from this raid?

The only way that he could have saved the conference was to admit that he was in over his head & abdicated his position. But, he was too ignorant even for that. Totally clueless.

Reaction Score
The problem with all of the teams on the various teams on these lists is that none (possible exception being Boise) have been mentioned as being wanted by any BCS AQ conference besides the BE. Warm bodies, yes, but teams that will be ranked high enough for the BE to continue to have an AQ, no.

I really don't get why people think that our BCS bid can't be saved with these additions. Unless the 4 superconferences emerge, which looks highly doubtful right now, there will be 6 BCS conferences as there always have been and they will be the same conferences they always have been. I'm not seeing the scenarios that will cause us to lose our AQ right now. The most important thing is to get our numbers back up with good programs in good markets.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The only way that he could have saved the conference was to admit that he was in over his head & abdicated his position. But, he was too ignorant even for that. Totally clueless.

So, Pitt and Cuse don't leave for a conference with better prestige and better money because the acting commissioner steps down from his position?

Reaction Score
How do you figure? Who takes it? The BE would have just added the top CUSA team(s) and possibly the top MWC team or are you saying the BCS goes down to 5 AQ's? That ain't happening.

The BCS AQ status is fine if the BE stays together, even if you did lose a WVU.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
split, expand to 16, all sports
uconn/ruty/lville/cincy/usf/wvu+

kan-great bball, bad fball right now
kst-good bball and fball
ist-ok bball and building fball
ecu-horrible bball, down year in fball but a strong program, will be the best of 5 in NC by 2014
temple-good bball, building fball(good enough right now)
ucf-ok/building bball, good fball
tulane(if baylor says no)- project
memphis-great bball, project fedex $ fball
smu- very close to ready for fball, bball project
uh-not to far for bball, fball ready

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
split, expand to 16, all sports
uconn/ruty/lville/cincy/usf/wvu+

kan-great bball, bad fball right now
kst-good bball and fball
ist-ok bball and building fball
ecu-horrible bball, down year in fball but a strong program, will be the best of 5 in NC by 2014
temple-good bball, building fball(good enough right now)
ucf-ok/building bball, good fball
tulane(if baylor says no)- project
memphis-great bball, project fedex $ fball
smu- very close to ready for fball, bball project
uh-not to far for bball, fball ready

Why do Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, and Baylor leave their conference, to join a conference with: worse football, worse basketball, worse prestige, worse stability and above all else way worse money?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Why do Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, and Baylor leave their conference, to join a conference with: worse football, worse basketball, worse prestige, worse stability and above all else way worse money?
becuase.
-b12 isn't stable, adding tcu doesn't fix the trust/$ issues really there.
-worse bball? kansas/tex/kst vs uconn/lville/wvu, at worst thats a push. kan/kst would love bball with those 3 in the same conf...
-fball is still a bcs conf and they now don't have to look at ok/tex/okst every year. they can have a chance in a bcs conf.
-prestige is not the same, u win
-$ will be good with comcast(temple-phili good grab) for that conf. nyc/phili/ville/cincy/2 fl mk's/2 tex mk's/ new o's etc. play the conf bball tney in phili. play the fball ship game at home of highest bcs ranking...

Reaction Score
Is there any chance of getting BYU for football only? That would be a huge win. I'm assuming they don't want to go into the Big12 because they wouldn't be competitive, but they could compete in the Big East.

Go to 16 with:

BYU
Airforce
Boise St
Nevada
Utah State
Colorado State
SanDiego State
SMU (all sports)

Temple (all sports)
Navy
UCONN
WV
Rutgers
Cincy
Louisville
South Florida

Use UCF and Houston for all sports when West Virginia and Louisville bolt.

Reaction Score
Houston, SMU, Tulane, UCF, Temple, EC. No football only teams.

Reaction Score

Well I generally agree but how is the BE worse in basketball than the Big 12?

The Big 12 is Kansas, a consistently underachieving Texas and 8 other turds. A league with UConn, Louisville, Georgetown, Nova, WVU and Cincy is way way stronger. This year the Big 12 will be awful. Kansas lost the Morris twins and a ton of seniors. Texas lost their 3 best players. Kansas St lost Pullen and Curtis Kelly and they had a ton of transfers, Texas A&M and Missouri lost their head coach and Missouri replaced theirs with Frank Haith (LOL). Baylor may be okay but the rest of the conference is absolutely awful. Now if Louisville and WVU to the Big 12 than maybe but come on....

Reaction Score
My criteria are football prowess + rivalries + divisional setup + fertile recruiting areas + basketball.

North
UConn
RU
WVU
UL
UC
6) Memphis

South
USF
1) UCF
4)SMU
5)Houston
2)Boise State*
3)BYU*

*Football Only

I really don't get Temple - they have no fan base. Can't even get 30,000 with $5 tickets after demolishing Maryland!

Reaction Score
East Division
UConn
ECU*
Rutgers
USF
Navy* FB only
Army* FB only
Temple*
UCF*

West Division
SMU*
Houston*
West Virginia
Boise State* FB only
AirForce* FB only
Cincinnati
Louisville
Memphis*

* New

If WV and L'ville leave add UMass and ??? and restructure. I don't think they will leave considering who's coming in.

Rename the Big East (sorry to see you go) to Big America Conference.

Reaction Score
The Big East has decided to go to 12 in football. We are at 6 now, so what are your 6 additions?

I will assume that Boise will not happen for whatever reason.

My choices:

1) Temple - all sports - one of the best hoops programs available, solid football, Big East wants Philadelphia, Villanova is not realistic.

2) Navy - football only

3) Air Force - football only

4) SMU - all sports - big endowment, high interest in program, great market, commitment to winning.

5) Houston - all sports - great market for both hoops and football, A&M does NOT have this market.

6) UMass -football only - largest anchor school available is right in our own backyard. Big alumni base, lots of students, wealthy state. Our opposition to this school makes us gigantic hypocrites.

UCF and ECU just do not bring enough new markets or quality to the league to justify their inclusion. I can live with UCF, but it is not the best choice available.

Since you told me not forget about basketball because that is the single most important thing;

1. Fairfield

2. Quinnipiac

3. Xavier

4. St. Joes

5. Memphis

6. Gonzaga

Cheers.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I'd want Boise but also have a feeling it won't happen. I'll still put them on my list though. I'd like to see

1. SMU - Quality academic school with huge endowment in a great TV and recruiting market. Has a successful football history even though some is notorious, it will still generate interest.

2. Houston - Another school in Texas with some past football history, huge TV market and solidfies Big East pressence in TX for recruiting purposes.

3. UCF - Solidifies Big East in recruiting rich Florida and makes USF more relevant by giving them a truly high intensity in conference rivalry now upgraded to BCS level. Good sized TV market and huge fast growing school.

4. Temple - Solid basketball tradition in large market within traditional Big East footprint. Easy roadtrip and the program is getting better. Budding rivalry with UConn and sure to have rivalry with RU as well.

5. Boise State - good football school to strengthen the football conference as a football only member. Geography puts them near the bottom of my list though.

6/7. Navy and Air Force a wash for me. Service academies bring prestige and national following but they don't have a huge upside in my opinion. Will always be very limited for recruits as all players actually are cadets. I wouldn't mind seeing us add both and Boise State but thwith my other choises that would put us at 13 FB members.

Obviously we'd need to add another because 13 doesn't work unless we lose a couple of teams, which is very possible. Doesn't really matter between ECU and Nova. ECU is better for football but Nova is cheaper since they are already in for bball.

I agree. Texas and Florida are THE growth markets for the next 20 years. Miami and FSU are floundering opening some opportunites in Florida for UCF or USF to make a splash.

UCF, Houston and SMU. In the current BCS mock polls Houston and SMU are in the low 30s. Boise (Football only) is the only other team in the Indy/non-BCS mix ranked higher and available.

Navy/Air Force (Football only) are what they are . Good Filler. Both were ranked in the top 50 last year

WVU will leave and its either Temple or Nova for Philly.

If lightening strikes and Lousiville gets an offer then its ECU.

UMess is kinda like Nova, Only worse. Both lack a decent stadium. UMess also lacks a top MSA city, loyal fans, and decent basketball.

Reaction Score
In any order:
Brooklyn Decker
Miranda Kerr
Candice Swanepoel
Alessandra Ambrosio
Irina Shayk
Milan Kunis

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
7. UCF
8. ECU
9. Houston
10. Navy (FB)
11. Temple/SMU/Nova
12. Air Force (FB)

That's 12/18

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

F

fortebleedsblue

Forget this UMess etc crap I'm hearing... Go big or go home..

1. Houston
2. BYU
3. Boise
4. Navy
5. Airforce/Army
6. UCF/ECU

Break this up into two divisions and have a championship game ... Guaranteed BCS auto-bid.

Reaction Score

1. Houston
2. BYU
3. Boise
4. Navy
5. Airforce/Army
6. UCF/ECU

Break this up into two divisions and have a championship game ... Guaranteed BCS auto-bid.
I actually like this, but I'd declare for UCF and Air Force (no Army or ECU). UCF and Houston join for all sports, everyone else as FB only keeps this a 16 team conference max for hoops and 12 teams for FB. If Boise or BYU balked, I'd go SMU to bring in Dallas market (I don't care that it's a UT town, it's about TV sets)

It's still a pig with make up perception wise, but the FB gets significantly better than it's ever been, and even though BB takes a step back, itwould still be one of the top BB leagues.

Reaction Score

1. Houston
2. BYU
3. Boise
4. Navy
5. Airforce/Army
6. UCF/ECU

This is close but Houston without SMU seems silly. I presume BYU isn't happening so replace them with SMU. This still leaves Boise and Airforce as buddies. Temple is probably a given at this point.

1. Houston
2. SMU
3. Air Force
4. UCF
5. Temple/Navy
6. Boise

Future possibilities: Nova, ECU, UMASS

Reaction Score
Ok, I'll have some fun.

I'm going to w/ the 10/16 model.

Temple added all sports, and UMass added all sports but football, with the option to potentially upgrade and join later.

BYU, Boise and Air Force added in the west. Temple added in the east for football.

Two eight team divisions in everything but football and 10 team footall conference with football onlies

The regulars in one division:
Georgetown
Villanova
St. JOhns
Providence
MArquette
Seton Hall
Notre Dame
DePaul

and the new 8 team division
Connecticut
West Virginia
Rutgers
Louisville
Cincinatti
South Florida
Temple
UMass

And the 10 team football conference
Western Division
BYU
Boise State
Air Force
Louisville
Cincinatti

Eastern Division
Connecticut
Rutgers
West Virginia
South Florida
Temple

Adding BYU and Boise solidifies the BCS standing for the future,
UMass and Villanova, if they ever get their programs up to par, are able to join for a 12 team football conference in the future.

Reaction Score
One thing's for sure, we're definitely going to find out exactly how much these basketball programs that the big east revolves around are worth in the next few years.

Reaction Score
I think that going to a 10/16 model makes a whole lot of sense as a first step, and that above is the best scenario that I can come up with that would be remotely plausible. Notre Dame isn't joining the conference for football, and somehow, in all of this, the concept of athletics beyond football and bsketball needs to be retained.

That's why UMass and Temple make the most sense to complete the second 8 team basketball/olympic division.

Adding Boise, BYU, Airforce, gives those three some kind of natural geographic football scheduling, and solidifies the football side of things with regard to BCS.

In that 10/16 model, there's at least some kind of structure that makes sense competitively and geographically, and at that point, you can start to really pick and choose who to fill out the football side of things, and possibly get to that 12/20 model.

BTW - I don't like the hybrid conference model, but we're apparently stuck with it, so may as well use it as best we can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom